New brake pads for the E63

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AMGeed

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
W210 E280 x2, w211 E55, W212 E63 biturbo, S204 C180K
I noticed the front pads are looking very low on the front of the E63, so after a fair bit of research I have ordered a set of ceramic pads from TRW in an attempt to keep the brake dust at a minimum. Also ordered a couple of spare wear indicators although I haven't broken through the ones I have yet. I've got them from BuyCarParts.co.uk at a decent price of £76 all in with delivery. I see now looking at the terms and conditions that this is an offshoot of Autodoc in the same way carparts4less are connected to ECP. So the company is in Germany, not the UK:mad:
I hope the delivery is completed without problems. I have read a few poor reviews of Autodoc and Buycarparts isn't much better.:(
Just have to wait for their arrival now. Luckily I don't need them urgently.

You should be fine, Autodoc are a big company - have used them several times without fuss. I have had much longer wait times for delivery from UK based suppliers Euro/CP4LESS etc.. :)

I used Autodoc just recently and received my order in very good time. They were very informative of when and how I would receive my goods. I even made contact with them in Berlin, Germany, over the phone with a slight query I had and got through within seconds. All my parts arrived, was very happy with them. Would use again without doubt.

You should be fine, Autodoc are a big company - have used them several times without fuss. I have had much longer wait times for delivery from UK based suppliers Euro/CP4LESS etc.. :)

I still haven't received my engine oil I orderd from ECP back in April. Still not been in contact with me since early May. I have sent numerous emails requesting a refund, no reply I still wait. I got the oil and changed it since via Halfords for the e320 :rolleyes: Autodoc put these guys to shame!!!

I had a problem with buycarparts.co.uk. I wouldn't use them again.

I bought from them because they were the best price for a specific brand of suspension arm. Ordered, waited a few days, and some cheap alternative brand part had been supplied. I contacted them to be told they were out of stock of the part I wanted but assumed I'd be happy with an alternative (at the same price too).

I then found that because they are actually a German company I wasn't protected by UK consumer law. I'd have to pay the return shipping to Germany for a heavy pair of suspension arms to get a refund, and only if they accepted.

After a bit of an exchange they backed down and paid for the return shipping and gave me a refund but it wasn't easy.

Did they not email you to advise of the stock situation? That’s one of their strongest points in my experience, far better communication than ECP etc.. :)

No communication until I contacted them after the wrong parts arrived.

Differs from my experience, have used them quite a few times to date without issue and they were very good with their communication. Whenever anything wasn’t available they always used to call or email to advise and offer alternatives which you could accept or decline, or advise of any delay and would get back to you with an estimate for delivery of the original items etc.

I guess they’re such a large organisation you’ll always find the odd exception where things go wrong/customers not happy etc - as per lots of threads on ECP and others etc.

Be interesting to hear how the OP gets on with his order :thumb:

I have purchased from both autodoc and ecp and service has been very good. Ecp even rang me to say that they had a delay in delivery (due to lack of delivery drivers) but I was more than welcome to pick it up from their store. I was in no rush and declined the offer and it was delivered the next day.

My only issue with autodoc is their delivery cost for smaller orders. Not so much an issue when you spend hundreds.

Last edited:
My only issue with autodoc is their delivery cost for smaller orders
This I agree with - if you need a few bits it’s fine, but I wouldn’t use them for very small orders for that very reason, nor if I needed items urgently (same day/next day etc obviously!)

But for planned maintenance and repairs, they have some of the most competitive pricing and widest choice. Haven’t used them for a while but there’s also ‘Mister Auto’ who were based in France IIRC, who also used to sell via eBay. Had no problems with them either to be honest.

As always, worth shopping around :thumb:

Email today from Autodoc advising my parts are on the way with a tracking #
Provided the parts are correct, I am happy to use Buyukparts./Autodoc again. Their prices are extremely competitive.
20200617_202801.jpg20200617_202900.jpg

Not had a problem with Autodoc in the two / three years of usage.
You can tick a box on check out and for a very small fee they will collect it, no questions asked.

Gave up on ECP as they just got too many things wrong and on more than one occasion, a used part was in the box.

I'm in need of pads shortly, I'd be grateful if you could report on them once bedded in.

Pads and wear indicator arrived today, 8 days after placing the order.
Not a particularly fast service, but the parts are correct and an excellent price.
Overall, very happy and I'd use Autodoc/buycarpartsuk again.
I would prefer that it was made clear on the uk site that the parts are in Germany, and its an arm of Autodoc.

There is still around 6mm of pad thickness left, so I'll hold on for a while before fitting them. They are certainly a very substantial size pad!20200622_160702.jpg

20200622_173531[1].jpg

What's the thickness of the new friction material? In your pictures it looks less than I'd expect.

A few years ago I was horrified to spot my front motorbike brake pads were down to about 2mm so I rushed out to get some new pads only to find the new pads only had about 3mm on them!

It might be the angle of the photo, but I agree Jason, they look proper skinny.

PS , I have ordered from Autodoc before now, all went well. Just don't be in a massive hurry for your parts. If you need stuff ASAP , look elsewhere.

You did well not to click the Brembo two piece discs at the same time 😇

I know they're not the exact part number for our cars but they fit and certainly look a whole lot better than the frankenstein discs that our cars come with.
If I still have the car after the warranty period, I'll probably go with the Brembo 360mm.... or the 390mm SLS disc and adapter brackets 🧐

The pads are 16mm+ according to my tape measure. I think its the angle of the photo making them look less. According to the technical specs they are supposed to be 16.7mm thick, a littless than some other brands at 17.7mm.
Luckily the discs are still OK after 31k miles but will need changing before another set of pads. I'll be going with the Brembo two piece discs as well. £328 for a pair is a great deal.

The pad thickness of 16.7mm is including pad and friction material combined.
The friction material is just above 8mm thick. (Brembo)

Last edited:
Unfortunately for us all, I think that is per disc.

Shows £328 for 2 discs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom