New Broken 220CDI

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pauldmaynard

Car
W211 220CDI
I bought a new E-Class 220CDI 6 days ago after one tank of fuel it stoped in a cloud of smoke taken to a MB workshop on a tow truck it was found to have water in the diesel 2 injectors gone as no one knows at what point the water got into the tank should the warranty cover the repair ????????

Welcome - and bad luck.

It sounds like you will want to take some form of action against the garage that supplied the tank of fuel. At least you have the advantage of being virtually able to prove that it was they that contaminated your fuel supply by virtue of the odometer reading and any necesary documentation from the supplying dealer.

I would start off being polite and firm: I bought this car on such and such a date, it ran perfectly until this date / mileage. I fueled at your forecourt on this date and travelled a further XX miles before this happened. This is the only fuel to have been put into the tank. I attach the engineer's report from the MB workshop together with confirmations on mileages / dates, etc.

Good luck.

Philip

Water is heavier than diesel, so it would sit at the bottom of the tank and be picked up almost immediately even if the tank was full. So the water must have got in recently.

The warranty covers you against manufacturing defects, not easy to think of one of those that would let water into the tank?

In the mean time, you could put in a claim with your insurer, speak to the legal department first they may take up any claim against the filling station on your behalf.

Ouch and what a disaster,
Why are you so sure that fault lies with the manufacturer?

Please don't take offence because I do not mean to be rude and am merely asking something that is niggling me.

If the water was there when you took delivery of the car, then would you have even got home? If you had got this water from a garage then there will be numerous other users complaining of exactly the same issue and again would you have got home?

Please don't take this the wrong way but:

Have you left the car unlocked and unattended?

Have you any enemies that might have done this?

My thoughts are you will be Lucky if Mercedes-Benz compensate you, but good luck trying to resolve this issue and you might be lucky and have the claim dealt with by someone who is very sympathetic. (Like me) :)

Good luck
Regards
John

In the mean time, you could put in a claim with your insurer, speak to the legal department first they may take up any claim against the filling station on your behalf.

How is this an insurable risk??

Fully comp insurance. Car damaged. Show me where fuel contamination is excluded in the policy? After all they will pay out if you fill with petrol instead of diesel.

In fact, a little googling finds this

Last edited:
Fully comp insurance. Car damaged. Show me where fuel contamination is excluded in the policy? After all they will pay out if you fill with petrol instead of diesel.

All insurers? I am amazed.....but pleased if this is the case

I don't have an opinion on whether the insurance will pay out or not, but could this be a criminal act? Our fuel tanks are always locked and is there any way that water can accidentally get into the tank of a new vehicle? (question)

John

Show me where fuel contamination is excluded in the policy?

What is not covered:
We will not pay:
[...]
for mechanical, electrical, electronic, computer failures and breakdowns, or breakages
[...]

Some insurers do offer breakdown insurance in addition to normal car insurance, but they are quite different things.

I bought a new E-Class 220CDI 6 days ago after one tank of fuel it stoped in a cloud of smoke taken to a MB workshop on a tow truck it was found to have water in the diesel 2 injectors gone as no one knows at what point the water got into the tank should the warranty cover the repair ????????

Just a thought -- did it come with a free tank of diesel? If so the dealer put it in so surely as you havent added any he is liable...:confused:

Last edited:
Just a thought -- did it come with a free tank of diesel? If so the dealer put it in so surely as you havent added any he is liable...:confused:
Surely the car would stop pretty darn quick if the dealer had somehow put the water into the tank as the water would get sucked in first?

How can anyone prove that nothing was added and if the fuel was suppled by the dealer then a quick check of all diesel vehicles supplied at that time would also be suffering the same fate? A quick call to the dealer should resolve that issue.

John

Some insurers do offer breakdown insurance in addition to normal car insurance, but they are quite different things.

From the norwich union wording:

If your car is lost, stolen or damaged, we may:
pay for your car to be repaired;
replace your car; or
pay you a cash amount equal to the loss
or damage.

Your policy does not cover the following:
a Loss or damage arising from theft while the
ignition keys of your car have been left in
or on your car.
b Loss of use, reduction in value, wear and
tear, or mechanical, electrical or computer
breakdowns, failures or breakages.
c Damage to tyres by braking or by
punctures, cuts or bursts.
d Loss or damage directly caused by pressure
waves caused by aircraft or other flying
devices travelling at, or above, the speed
of sound.
e Loss of value following a repair.
f Confiscation or requisition or destruction by
or under order of any government or public
or local authority.

So reading that there's no exception to cover fuel contamination, deliberate or accidental, from a damage claim.

It's not a breakdown, any more than a leaking radiator is a breakdown if it's caused by contact with a lamp post.

From the norwich union wording

From the same NU document (i.e. fully comprehensive insurance policy):

Your policy does not cover the following
[...]
b Loss of use, reduction in value, wear and
tear, or mechanical, electrical or computer
breakdowns, failures or breakages.
[...]

The only way I can see a car insurance pay out on this is if it would be criminal damage inflicted on you.

The only way I can see a car insurance pay out on this is if it would be criminal damage inflicted on you.

Why? No other form of damage requires there to be criminal intent. A brick dropped from a building site, a brick falling off the back of a lorry, a brick deliberately thrown at the car, the owner carrying a pile of bricks near the car and falling. All would result in a successful claim for damage to car caused by brick.

Water put in fuel tank by jealous person, water put in fuel tank by petrol attendant or dealer, water put in fuel tank by owner because missus had filled an old veg oil bottle with water to water the plants with. All cause damage to fuel system. Claim should equally be successful.

An acquaintance of mine has twice claimed after filling his C270cdi with petrol, both times successfully. As long as there was not intent to defraud the insurer (eg - engine needs repairs, so fill with wrong fuel and get repairs done on insurance) there is no reason not to pay out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom