New build PC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidjpowell

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 w212 and Ford Ranger
Hello

I have been building a new pC and got myself into some bother.

The basis is a Asus motherboard that I had lying around which had been repaired by Asus after an initial symptom of no video, some time ago.

I have installed the CPU which worked on a very similar ASUS board (which replaced this one as it died when I needed a PC urgently so could not wait for warranty repair). Likewise the Memory has come from a different PC and was working just fine.

I am not getting any POST beeps at all, although I can't be certain that this is due to the speaker. The only untested components are therefore the video card (which is brand new) and the motherboard.

Has anyone got any hints as to what I should be looking for - I can trouble shoot if I have video - without it's a bit difficult.

Just from reading this I think I need to swap the video card to rule that out - but I am concerned about the lack of beeps.

The Speaker I think is a very simple device - simply a small speaker (looks albeit like a large capacitor I suppose with a pre-wired plug that slots into the appropriate slot.

Any help would as usual be gratefully received.

David

Can you list the part names used for all your hardware. Mainly what Asus board it is, what CPU and what memory you are using.

OK Fax is spinning

Motherboard is Asus P5N32-E SLI Premium / Wifi - the other motherboard that I have tested some bits in a a Asus P5N32-E SLI SE Delux

Processor is I think a dual core 2.33 Core 2 Duo E4600 - it worked an hour ago in the other motherboard, and was orignally on this motherboard before it died.

Memory is OCZ Gold PC2 8500 in 2 banks of 2MB sticks. This worked in the other motherboard.

Video Card ATI HD3870

Last edited:
Silly questions good.

The long power bit came split into 2. with the smaller part being a square 4 pin connector. Also have a seperate 4 pin connected near the cpu.

Graphics card also has it's own power as well.

Silly questions good.

The long power bit came split into 2. with the smaller part being a square 4 pin connector. Also have a seperate 4 pin connected near the cpu.

Graphics card also has it's own power as well.
You have obviously connected it to the board. OK, Check if there is a jumper on the BIOS pins? Sometimes these DO fall off and the PC won't boot up. That reminds me, reset the BIOS. Also check the little leads the go to the Power on switch, reset button HDD Light? Some boards are fussy..

Unplug the keyboard and mouse - then see if you get any beeps or anything on the screen.

It is common to have the two swapped around and you wont get anything...

- also as para alpha mentioned check the 'reset Bios' jumper - make sure it is not set to the reset position - ie make sure that it is removed.

on the assus board one of the flash updates is to remove the beeps therefore this may be the cause of the lack of beeps.

You have obviously connected it to the board. OK, Check if there is a jumper on the BIOS pins? Sometimes these DO fall off and the PC won't boot up. That reminds me, reset the BIOS. Also check the little leads the go to the Power on switch, reset button HDD Light? Some boards are fussy..

Jumper was originaly on the wrong pins. I suspect all Asus did when they had the board is reset the BIOS. Checked the leads all look ok. Pushing the on switch makes things noisy as you would expect.

Unplug the keyboard and mouse - then see if you get any beeps or anything on the screen.

- also as para alpha mentioned check the 'reset Bios' jumper - make sure it is not set to the reset position - ie make sure that it is removed.

I will try this tongiht.

on the assus board one of the flash updates is to remove the beeps therefore this may be the cause of the lack of beeps.

Thanks. Just means the lack of screen further frustrates me further. I have an old video card somewhere - I may try and dig that out I think.

Startup sees no beeps with keyboard and mouse unplugged. I'll try swopping the vidoe card as I have found a spare...

which makes no difference. hmmmm.

Last edited:
Startup sees no beeps with keyboard and mouse unplugged. I'll try swopping the vidoe card as I have found a spare...

which makes no difference. hmmmm.

Is everything seated properly? Including the CPU.

Is the CPU fan starting up?

And have you tried booting it with the RAM removed? (I have a fuzzy recollection of having a similar problem a long time ago with a system that had incompatible RAM fitted).

Have you checked the power supply? if this is OK, the Main board is knackered?

Power supply seems ok - I have a green light on the board etc.

Is everything seated properly? Including the CPU.

Is the CPU fan starting up?

And have you tried booting it with the RAM removed? (I have a fuzzy recollection of having a similar problem a long time ago with a system that had incompatible RAM fitted).

CPU Fan does start up. Tried with RAM removed - no change.

Also took ASUS advice and booted the board up outside the case on a sheet of newspaper with just CPU video and 1 memory bank. No dice.

I have decided to send the board back to ASUS when I can read the serial number. The sticker is amazingly small. I have a feeling that they have just turned around the original board as I am sure that these were the symptoms it had one morning.

PC Bits are back in boxes sadly..

Thanks for all your help guys - I do appreciate it.

Power supply seems ok - I have a green light on the board etc.

CPU Fan does start up. Tried with RAM removed - no change.

Also took ASUS advice and booted the board up outside the case on a sheet of newspaper with just CPU video and 1 memory bank. No dice.

I have decided to send the board back to ASUS when I can read the serial number. The sticker is amazingly small. I have a feeling that they have just turned around the original board as I am sure that these were the symptoms it had one morning.

PC Bits are back in boxes sadly..

Thanks for all your help guys - I do appreciate it.

May not be what you want to hear but in my experience, once a motherboard is faulty it never works properly again. IMHO unless they change it for a new one you would be better cutting your losses and buying a new motherboard :mad:

May not be what you want to hear but in my experience, once a motherboard is faulty it never works properly again. IMHO unless they change it for a new one you would be better cutting your losses and buying a new motherboard :mad:

I'm hoping that this time they will just write it off and replace it. Otherwise I guess that I will be shopping. Not good as my whole argument for getting the ok on this was that I could do it for very little cost with bits that I had lying around!

I'm hoping that this time they will just write it off and replace it. Otherwise I guess that I will be shopping. Not good as my whole argument for getting the ok on this was that I could do it for very little cost with bits that I had lying around!

LOL. I've been there. "Honest, will not actually COST me anything" :eek:

The beep is the start up sequence for the board, no beep means board Ram is faulty. With beep means Pc has checked memory status and all is well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom