New buyer's advice on C-Class

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

darksoldier

Car
C220
Hello all

Please forgive me for potentially asking about issues that have previously been discussed - I have searched endlessly and whilst have found some of the answers, my head is already hurting from the volume of information I have had to process. So I am resorting to the simple(r) option of getting everything in one thread and specific to my own circumstances.

I am new to MBs and am looking to potentially buy a second-hand C-class, most likely C220 CDI (08 plate onwards). I am yet to test drive one so have not yet decided whether I want the Sport or the Elegance. I do mainly motorway miles and running costs and efficiency will be important to me. So my general questions are as follows:

1. Apart from the looks and suspension, are there any other major differences between the Sport and Elegance/SE?

2. Automatic or Manual?

3. I presume the C220 will be more fuel efficient than the higher specs like C250 and above?

4. Is the BlueEfficiency something that is likely to make much of a difference? Also is it still risky to buy one considering the fuel injector issues or do I assume that if anything would have gone wrong with it then it should have been resolved by now?

5. Any particular issues I should be aware of in relation to what I am after?

6. Would getting a 4-5 years old car with 100k+ mileage be an issue these days?

7. Any tips on where it is possible to find decent deals for such cars, apart from the dealers and private buyers that advertise in the usual places?

Thank you in advance for your time

well maybe you can point me in the right direction regarding that issue too, from what I gather the W203 was only used up to certain date (2007 sometime?) so I suppose if I go for something 08 plate onwards I will be getting a W204? That is my limited knowledge in the subject...

W203 1999-2007

W204 2007-

So 2007 could be either W203 or W204, but 2008 should be W204

What part of the country are you in? If near London, then cargiant.com have very good prices but most of their cars are low-spec.

There will be quite a few entry-level SE on cargiant.com but probably not many Elegance or Sport.

Also most of their cars will be cloth or Artico but not leather, and no COMAND.

Said that for an honest no-frills deal I recommend them - bought four cars from them so far.

W204.

I am new to MBs and am looking to potentially buy a second-hand C-class, most likely C220 CDI (08 plate onwards). I am yet to test drive one so have not yet decided whether I want the Sport or the Elegance. I do mainly motorway miles and running costs and efficiency will be important to me. So my general questions are as follows:

1. Apart from the looks and suspension, are there any other major differences between the Sport and Elegance/SE?. No seats in sports are more supportive and you get black headlining in a sport

2. Automatic or Manual? Get an automatic. No dual mass fly wheels and the 5g is the finest automatic ever made

3. I presume the C220 will be more fuel efficient than the higher specs like C250 and above? Nothing in it. I'd expect a pre BE C220cdi to be less efficient than a BEC250cdi or C220cdiBE

4. Is the BlueEfficiency something that is likely to make much of a difference? Also is it still risky to buy one considering the fuel injector issues or do I assume that if anything would have gone wrong with it then it should have been resolved by now?
A little. They are kinder on fuel, more responsive but have DPFs and more complex timing gear at the back of the engine. The older engine is a tried and very proven design
5. Any particular issues I should be aware of in relation to what I am after? No if you get a Pre BE C220cdi auto, yes if you get a manual BE 220cdi or 250cdi. DPFs, Dual mass flywheels, potential injector issues all can potentially present themeslves. They're highly unlikely to in the older varient of engine

6. Would getting a 4-5 years old car with 100k+ mileage be an issue these days? No

7. Any tips on where it is possible to find decent deals for such cars, apart from the dealers and private buyers that advertise in the usual places? No

Last edited:
Steve, can you elaborate on the "potential injector issue" and why it should be more prevalent on a manual car?

My applogies. I meant a manual car can suffer a dual mass fly wheel failure. An automatic IIRC isn't so equipped.

The older engine hardly ever gave injector issues, the newer one on the other hand....

Thanks for that, but what is going wrong with injectors on the C220CDIBE, please?

Thanks for that, but what is going wrong with injectors on the C220CDIBE, please?

A lot was. Cars were upgraded with new ones, but getting an early one may be a lottery if they injectors haven't been upgraded.Random loss of power and limp home mode. Great fun.

Its a new two turbo engine too, very complex, I'd rather buy into something thats maybe older tech and proven, than something newer and maybe get my fingers burnt with niggles.

W204.

1. Apart from the looks and suspension, are there any other major differences between the Sport and Elegance/SE?. No seats in sports are more supportive and you get black headlining in a sport

2. Automatic or Manual? Get an automatic. No dual mass fly wheels and the 5g is the finest automatic ever made

3. I presume the C220 will be more fuel efficient than the higher specs like C250 and above? Nothing in it. I'd expect a pre BE C220cdi to be less efficient than a BEC250cdi or C220cdiBE

A little. They are kinder on fuel, more responsive but have DPFs and more complex timing gear at the back of the engine. The older engine is a tried and very proven design
5. Any particular issues I should be aware of in relation to what I am after? No if you get a Pre BE C220cdi auto, yes if you get a manual BE 220cdi or 250cdi. DPFs, Dual mass flywheels, potential injector issues all can potentially present themeslves. They're highly unlikely to in the older varient of engine

6. Would getting a 4-5 years old car with 100k+ mileage be an issue these days? No

7. Any tips on where it is possible to find decent deals for such cars, apart from the dealers and private buyers that advertise in the usual places? No

Hmmmm, my W203 OM611 started eating injectors at around the 80k+ mark. There are not cheap either.

If you go for a BE it will have brand new injectors. There was a recall on them very recently, change from Delphi to Bosch I believe. ;)

I had both W203 and 204 in manual, no hassles with it. Not the slickest box, but seems reliable enough. You get a great discount buying manuals as MB are deemed an 'auto only' type car. Manuals of course are cheaper to run, better fuel economy, and oil for life in them.

If you go SE or Elegance with 16" rims, 2 tyres for £155, not bad.

I swear my C220CDi cost less to run than a small hatch.

Pick of the bunch would be the semi limited edition 'SE Executive' I believe it was called, comes with Comand as standard, and was cheaper to buy than an Elegance.

Well, so far I've had no problems with mine, but there's another two years worth of warranty to go at yet.

W203 1999-2007

W204 2007-

So 2007 could be either W203 or W204, but 2008 should be W204

...unless it's the CLC i.e. coupé 2-door version which was still made on the underpinnings of the old W203 well into 2009.

If you buy a W204 you will get a German badged car that's actually built in Germany! Always a good thing imho. ;) The only thing that the W203 does better is with its suspension. :thumb: In an attempt to emulate BMW :p and get a sporty handling car, but combine it with comfort at the same time, :confused: Mercedes implemented its "Agility Control" adjustable suspension on the W204. Its been refined/improved over the production run but still doesn't have that magic carpet feel of the older models. :(

If you buy a W204 you will get a German badged car that's actually built in Germany! Always a good thing imho. ;) The only thing that the W203 does better is with its suspension. :thumb: In an attempt to emulate BMW :p and get a sporty handling car, but combine it with comfort at the same time, :confused: Mercedes implemented its "Agility Control" adjustable suspension on the W204. Its been refined/improved over the production run but still doesn't have that magic carpet feel of the older models. :(

I totally agree on the suspension and love the soft ride on my W203.

However, with regards German built, in spite of having been built in MB's South Africa factory, the reliability of my MY2006 W203 has so far been exemplary.

Motorways?

You need an E Class - problem solved.

I thought that the E-class was too expensive and too big for my needs. I tend to buy a brand new car every six years and couldn't afford one.

Thanks for all the responses so far.

So I will choose between the Sport and Saloon depending on the ride quality once test driven. E class may be a bit too big and pricey for my current needs.

In terms of auto or manual, I know the manual will be more fuel efficient and that's what is drawing me towards it a bit more - is this the wrong way to think about it?

As to the fuel injector issues, were these just limited to certain cars manufactured in a specific period of time, say if I go for something newer (e.g. 09 plate) would these have been sorted by then?

It seems there are a lot of BE models for sale out there so assuming I avoid any potential issues with the injectors as mentioned above, is the BE really that risky to buy?

Thanks

That's a tricky one, because the variation in fuel consumption between auto manual isn't that big to begin with.

The manufacturer's comparative MPG figures assume optimal gear shifts. When driving in the real world the auto box will do this for you, but with a manual gearbox the driver might on occasion rev the engine beyond the optimal shift point thus negating any economy benefits from the lack of torque convertor etc.

So in theory a manual car will be more frugal, but the reality is that your driving style and other driving habits (don't carry unnecessary weight in the boot, keep tyres inflated, use premium fuels etc) will probably have more influence on fuel consumption.

So unless you intend to drive the manual car pedantically and observe the rpm at all times to ensure optimal shift-ups, an automatic car may actually prove more frugal overall.

Said that, as others pointed-out, a manual car will be cheaper to buy as they are considered by some 'undesirable'...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom