New buyer's advice on C-Class

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks, and just to double check on the injector issue - has that affected a specific production line, for example is there a 'safe' BE model manufactured after a certain date which one can assume will not suffer from these well-documented problems?

Thanks for all the responses so far.

So I will choose between the Sport and Saloon depending on the ride quality once test driven. E class may be a bit too big and pricey for my current needs.

In terms of auto or manual, I know the manual will be more fuel efficient and that's what is drawing me towards it a bit more - is this the wrong way to think about it?

As to the fuel injector issues, were these just limited to certain cars manufactured in a specific period of time, say if I go for something newer (e.g. 09 plate) would these have been sorted by then?

It seems there are a lot of BE models for sale out there so assuming I avoid any potential issues with the injectors as mentioned above, is the BE really that risky to buy?

Thanks

The transmission chioce is very personal and most MBs are auto but I prefer manuals and am happy with mine. As already said, the BE models are noticably more efficient but more complex so more can go wrong. As far as injectors are concerned, there are several relevant threads on this site for you to check out. My advice would be to go for a car with dealer service record and check to see whether the injectors have been replaced. Good luck!

The example I am looking at is an '09 C220 CDI BE Sport Auto (5g) with AMG kit. It's an ex-fleet car with 95k on the clock.

I have checked its service history and nothing regarding fuel injectors. Would it be safe to assume that this defect would have surfaced by now if it was ever going to be an issue? Any other thoughts on the car?

Thanks

the injector issues tended to appear quite early in the cars life and most of those affected were fixed under a recall from MB. Affected 09/10 cars IIRC.
I would have thought a 95k miler would have had it sorted.MB should be able to confirm if this vehicle was done under the recall.

Sorry to be a complete novice but how can i tell if it is a BE or not to avoid injector issues?

Blue efficiency badges on the front wings, and a little button marked ECO on the dash in the middle to allow you to turn it off. If you drive one there will be an ECO light in the speedometer, which turns from yellow, quiescent, to green, operative.

I have now done 8,500 miles from new, and it hasn't yet broken down, but there's always time!

Mine has had the following issues so I guess its worth looking for if the car is NOT under warranty:

Noisy Shock absorbers

Peeling trim around center console

Laggy gearbox - requires update

loose sun visor clips

uneven Tyre wear

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom