New c-class 220 CDI vs 250cdi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ben_e71

Car
1 series
Looking at a new c-class estate (is this a w204 or S204?)

Was aiming to get the 220 CDI with the new 7g auto tranny - but toying with the 250CDI ... is there much hit on MPG of the 250?

The estates begin with S, the saloons begin with W.

cool ta ...

Any ideas re the differences in engines?

I'm not exactly sure but if I remember correct from other forum members it's something like this:
220- 55-60 mpg
250- 50-55 mpg
350- 40-48 mpg.

Not really no, depends on how heavy your right foot is, have had a new 220 and 250CDI as courtesy cars and they're both good, best bet is to drive them to see how you get on with them.

On town driving I was getting 45-50mpg in the 220 and 40-45mpg in the 250, longer runs they're both capable of hitting late 50s, I was quite surprised at how quick they both are for a 4-pot diesel but great cars nonetheless.

well driven the 220 and liked it but for £20 a month more I could have the 250 so thinking I might go for that

For £5 a week you'd be a fool not to!

How much extra for the 350?

I know on the E Class estate it he E250cdi auto was £10 cheaper than the E220di and the E350cdi was only £40 more than the E250cdi.

But think when I got figures for the C350cdi it was more expensive than the E350cdi by about £80!

Annoying really, but if you want a C class you have to pay the extra.

I think the problem is that they are so close in price to buy new, but people expect the C to be a lot cheaper so residuals are hit harder.

not much on the lease but I get caned for the Compnay car tax by an extra £100 a month.

Likewise. I am thinking about a C350 or C250 CDI estate also, they are much better 'value' on our Arval lease scheme than BMW or Mercedes.

Put it this way, I can get a C350 CDI Elegance for about £20 a month more than a 520d touring or A4 170TDI. No contest really as I don't need a car the size of the 5er.

All that is left to decide is whether or not I want to pay the extra tax for the C350 over the C250 (and have Sport spec if I choose the four cylinder car), although reading a couple of threads on here people seem to really rate the new C220 twin turbo and that is even more attractive from a tax perspective.

Is the new 265hp C350 available yet for test drives? I don't see it appearing on the online configurator yet but Arval has given me a monthly price for it.

Sorry to jump on the thread but seemed better to keep the discussion going rather than start a new one.

I will be going for Edition 125 + HK Surround and possibly the automatic transmission.

Likewise. I am thinking about a C350 or C250 CDI estate also, they are much better 'value' on our Arval lease scheme than BMW or Mercedes.
Put it this way, I can get a C350 CDI Elegance for about £20 a month more than a 520d touring or A4 170TDI. No contest really as I don't need a car the size of the 5er.
- isn't the 3 series more comparable to the C class and A4, rather than the 5 series? As you say, the 5 series is a big car and perhaps not normally compared against the other two.
Out of interest, how much can you get the 3 series touring for, if you considered it? Their list prices are more comparable to the C Class diesel estates, as well as the car itself -
C220 Sport £34,180
320d M SPort £31,720
C250 Sport £35,220
325d M Sport £33,805
C350 Sport 37,630
330d M Sport 36,785
It would be interesting to see the difference in lease payments, as that of course depends to a large extent on residuals.

Cheers,
MarkP

- isn't the 3 series more comparable to the C class and A4, rather than the 5 series? As you say, the 5 series is a big car and perhaps not normally compared against the other two.
Out of interest, how much can you get the 3 series touring for, if you considered it? Their list prices are more comparable to the C Class diesel estates, as well as the car itself -
C220 Sport £34,180
320d M SPort £31,720
C250 Sport £35,220
325d M Sport £33,805
C350 Sport 37,630
330d M Sport 36,785
It would be interesting to see the difference in lease payments, as that of course depends to a large extent on residuals.

Cheers,
MarkP

You're absolutely correct, but the 3 series touring has a smaller boot compared to the C Class estate, and while the difference between the two cars isn't great, the C Class has the size I need really as a minimum (and the 5 series is more than big enough almost too big) for my needs.

Anyway, some prices (basic car, manual gbox, no options), Will compare SEs and Elegances...

C250CDI Elegance Edition 125 £623 (sport was quite a lot more)
C350CDI Elegance Edition 125 7G Tronic £670 (no manual option of course)

325d SE touring £565 (but need to add Nav, Cruise and a couple of other bits to compare properly to the Edition 125 so about £600 realistically).
330d SE touring £602 again call it about £640 with options.

I think the lease company is getting good deals on BMW 3s as they are about to be replaced with new models.

Interestingly, regarding the Mercedes cars the 'edition 125' only adds £7 a month to the price over a 'basic' Elegance.

That sounds expensive, who is that leasing with?

Even Mercedes are quoting £425 a month for an 'E250cdi sport estate auto edition 125' and they are not the cheapest out there.

Have a look on their website.

texasjohn said:
You're absolutely correct, but the 3 series touring has a smaller boot compared to the C Class estate, and while the difference between the two cars isn't great, the C Class has the size I need really as a minimum (and the 5 series is more than big enough almost too big) for my needs.

Anyway, some prices (basic car, manual gbox, no options), Will compare SEs and Elegances...

C250CDI Elegance Edition 125 £623 (sport was quite a lot more)
C350CDI Elegance Edition 125 7G Tronic £670 (no manual option of course)

325d SE touring £565 (but need to add Nav, Cruise and a couple of other bits to compare properly to the Edition 125 so about £600 realistically).
330d SE touring £602 again call it about £640 with options.

I think the lease company is getting good deals on BMW 3s as they are about to be replaced with new models.

Interestingly, regarding the Mercedes cars the 'edition 125' only adds £7 a month to the price over a 'basic' Elegance.

You can get a C63 Edition 125 for the prices mentioned here.

That sounds expensive, who is that leasing with?

Even Mercedes are quoting £425 a month for an 'E250cdi sport estate auto edition 125' and they are not the cheapest out there.

Have a look on their website.

I'm guessing if it's a company car he's looking at a 30000 mile per year lease.

Yeah I know, but it went up to £455 a month with me doing 20k miles a year and I think it was £475 for 25k miles.
Mind you that was plus vat.

Yeah I know, but it went up to £455 a month with me doing 20k miles a year and I think it was £475 for 25k miles.
Mind you that was plus vat.

Sounds like he's tied to one lease company as well. I used to be tied to Lexleasing when I had company cars, despite the fact I could find the same car for less.

Gizze - it is Arval PHH and I am tied to them (are you on PH as 'Gizze' by the way?)

In answer to Snoop's comment - We had Lex at my last company.

Yes, it is a company car lease price, so 'all in' prices quoted above which are including servicing, tyres, VED tax, insurance etc for 3 years / 60k miles whichever comes first

(and on my current mileage of about 4k a month I'll get a new car in 14-15 months time).

If I take the cash allowance instead of a company car I get taxed on it and basically I end up with £400 a month in my pocket to spend, plus have to pay to tax/insure/service it myself.

I'm currently taking the cash and running a 130i which I own outright; work is paying for about 2/3rds of my commuting petrol at the moment but I don't want to run the 130i much longer putting huge miles on it as the £400 a month in lieu of company car is probably covering the depreciation only at 4k miles a month.

That said, once I take a company car I have to also factor in the 'cost' of additional income tax.

Last edited:
£400 is what you get, but also don't forgot the £200 a month you will get taken from you in BIK tax if you go company car.

I think the BIK tax on comapny cars is a disgrace, on many models the tax is now higher than the repayments for fecks sake!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom