New C Class C300 Premium

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Headhurts

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mercedes GLC
I had a test drive in one last week and was extremely impressed so much so I’m thinking of ordering one in possibly Spectral Blue.

The suspension set up seemed particularly good for our roads soaks up the irregularities really well.

The C300 engine sounded really muted and it felt really fast both in acceleration and mid range.

The centre display is the best I have ever seen on a car it’s so bright and clear and along with the Augmented Reality Satnav is a great driving experience, I’m not so keen on touch screens though as they can be difficult and distracting to use whilst driving, mind you virtually all the operations can be done by voice activation.

The Premium line comes with a great amount of kit but the Premium Plus is missing upgraded music system I believe which may be down to the semi conductor shortage.

Now the rub I only purchased my current car an E220D Premium Coupe made in 2020 in November so will probably take a hit on the price and my wife is questioning my sanity although she does like the car.

What to do?

Robin

I had a test drive in one last week and was extremely impressed so much so I’m thinking of ordering one in possibly Spectral Blue.

The suspension set up seemed particularly good for our roads soaks up the irregularities really well.

The C300 engine sounded really muted and it felt really fast both in acceleration and mid range.

The centre display is the best I have ever seen on a car it’s so bright and clear and along with the Augmented Reality Satnav is a great driving experience, I’m not so keen on touch screens though as they can be difficult and distracting to use whilst driving, mind you virtually all the operations can be done by voice activation.

The Premium line comes with a great amount of kit but the Premium Plus is missing upgraded music system I believe which may be down to the semi conductor shortage.

Now the rub I only purchased my current car an E220D Premium Coupe made in 2020 in November so will probably take a hit on the price and my wife is questioning my sanity although she does like the car.

What to do?

Robin
Get it! Your only here once, if you really like it, and have the money, it's a no brainer. :) 👍

Used car prices are through the roof currently, you may be surprised!

My daughter took her BMW X3 in to have the EGR valve replaced (long story). They offered to buy it from her for the same money she paid for it three-years ago. So if you’re considering changing, probably worth asking the question.

Car ordered delivery around September, I ordered a C300 Premium in mojave silver with the brown/black contrast leather interior.

The down side is I was only offered £31,000 for my 2020 E220 Premium Coupe with less than 16,000 that I purchased from them for £36,000 in November.

I did though get what seems like a reasonable deal on my new car considering the difficulty obtaining the new C Class.

I will be selling my car privately though as £31,000 is to my mind a pants offer.

Robin

Car ordered delivery around September, I ordered a C300 Premium in mojave silver with the brown/black contrast leather interior.

The down side is I was only offered £31,000 for my 2020 E220 Premium Coupe with less than 16,000 that I purchased from them for £36,000 in November.

I did though get what seems like a reasonable deal on my new car considering the difficulty obtaining the new C Class.

I will be selling my car privately though as £31,000 is to my mind a pants offer.

Robin
Try Motorway and we buy any car for prices

I've recently bought a 2022 C300d AMG Line Premium Plus Estate (more on that in a bit). I traded in my 2019 GLC300d AMG Line Premium Plus SUV 6 months earlier than planned as the used value on it was considerably higher than I thought it would be (by around £11k). The current GLC Premium Plus spec doesn't have a lot of the features of the earlier models (Multibeam headlights and Burmeister Surround Audio being just a couple of the omissions I noticed) plus my car had very low miles (typical pandemic car)... all of which I assume made it very desirable for the dealership to have on their approved used fleet.

Which brings me onto my new C300d. It is a really nice car. On the whole, I like it, particularly as I wanted something that wasn't another SUV... but there are a couple of things that my previous GLC did - and had - that this C-Class doesn't... and there are a few things that are a little bit irksome.

It only has one USB Type C socket in the whole car (my previous GLC had three)... there are no boot remote releases for the rear folding seats (it's the old school levers in the backrests) nor does it have the 'your hands are full - kick under the bumper' easy access tailgate. All appear to be available... just not on the UK cars. There's also no traffic light assist which shows you the traffic lights on the display when your view is blocked by the A-pillars or the rear view mirror / camera housing... the 'touch swipe' controls on the steering wheel feel like a real step backwards in use (the volume control is especially hard to control in small amounts)... as are the seat adjustment and panoramic roof controls (personally, I prefer Mercedes-Benz's previous use of physical switches that click but this is clearly an effective way to cut costs)... and all that ambient lighting on the centre air vents... very pretty and all that... but they reflect really badly on the windscreen at night... so much so that they are picked up on the camera used for the augmented satellite navigation and are reproduced on the display over the view.

On the plus side however, the car's performance, fuel efficiency and general refinement is excellent. The seats are comfortable (which is just as well as the ride is a bit hard on those 19" wheels but they look great so you forgive it), the passenger space is good (according to the kids, who also get their own heating and cooling controls back there). The boot is a decent size and all the MBUX voice recognition infotainment tech is very 'next level'. The screen graphics and response are very smooth. The 360° surround parking camera is so clever... it's almost too clever. The heads-up display near makes the other two displays redundant for day-to-day driving. Even the self-parking (which I never use but it's a great 'show-off' piece) works much better than before. The Digital Light headlights are superb and do all of the glare avoiding sorcery of the Multibeam headlights. A shame then that they are missing all of the sign projections and animations that you see promoted by Mercedes-Benz on YouTube. My dealership sales executive suspects that Mercedes will offer them at a later date as a subscription or a one-off permanent purchase like they've done with the £200 Dashcam option (I guess that's the way it's all going now).

All in all, I really like the new C-Class and especially in estate form. If you're thinking of getting one, now's the time... particularly if you have a decent trade in... but be prepared for a wait (especially if you want the C300e plug-in).

What to do?

Robin
Replace your wife!

So, I think that the reason the test drive cars sound so quiet is because the tyres have foam inserts in them :)

It seems that new cars ship with the foam inserts in them to dampen the tyre noise, but when you replace the tyres after however many years it takes, you may not get the same experience :) -- I hope that one can get replacement tyres in the future with foam inserts in them :)

I've recently bought a 2022 C300d AMG Line Premium Plus Estate (more on that in a bit). I traded in my 2019 GLC300d AMG Line Premium Plus SUV 6 months earlier than planned as the used value on it was considerably higher than I thought it would be (by around £11k). The current GLC Premium Plus spec doesn't have a lot of the features of the earlier models (Multibeam headlights and Burmeister Surround Audio being just a couple of the omissions I noticed) plus my car had very low miles (typical pandemic car)... all of which I assume made it very desirable for the dealership to have on their approved used fleet.

Which brings me onto my new C300d. It is a really nice car. On the whole, I like it, particularly as I wanted something that wasn't another SUV... but there are a couple of things that my previous GLC did - and had - that this C-Class doesn't... and there are a few things that are a little bit irksome.

It only has one USB Type C socket in the whole car (my previous GLC had three)... there are no boot remote releases for the rear folding seats (it's the old school levers in the backrests) nor does it have the 'your hands are full - kick under the bumper' easy access tailgate. All appear to be available... just not on the UK cars. There's also no traffic light assist which shows you the traffic lights on the display when your view is blocked by the A-pillars or the rear view mirror / camera housing... the 'touch swipe' controls on the steering wheel feel like a real step backwards in use (the volume control is especially hard to control in small amounts)... as are the seat adjustment and panoramic roof controls (personally, I prefer Mercedes-Benz's previous use of physical switches that click but this is clearly an effective way to cut costs)... and all that ambient lighting on the centre air vents... very pretty and all that... but they reflect really badly on the windscreen at night... so much so that they are picked up on the camera used for the augmented satellite navigation and are reproduced on the display over the view.

On the plus side however, the car's performance, fuel efficiency and general refinement is excellent. The seats are comfortable (which is just as well as the ride is a bit hard on those 19" wheels but they look great so you forgive it), the passenger space is good (according to the kids, who also get their own heating and cooling controls back there). The boot is a decent size and all the MBUX voice recognition infotainment tech is very 'next level'. The screen graphics and response are very smooth. The 360° surround parking camera is so clever... it's almost too clever. The heads-up display near makes the other two displays redundant for day-to-day driving. Even the self-parking (which I never use but it's a great 'show-off' piece) works much better than before. The Digital Light headlights are superb and do all of the glare avoiding sorcery of the Multibeam headlights. A shame then that they are missing all of the sign projections and animations that you see promoted by Mercedes-Benz on YouTube. My dealership sales executive suspects that Mercedes will offer them at a later date as a subscription or a one-off permanent purchase like they've done with the £200 Dashcam option (I guess that's the way it's all going now).

All in all, I really like the new C-Class and especially in estate form. If you're thinking of getting one, now's the time... particularly if you have a decent trade in... but be prepared for a wait (especially if you want the C300e plug-in).
There should be two more USB-C ports in the storage area where your arms would normally rest when you're sitting in the driver seat.

Also, the car supports wireless android auto and wireless carplay, and has a wireless charging pad, so the need for wires is greatly reduced in my view :)

So, I think that the reason the test drive cars sound so quiet is because the tyres have foam inserts in them :)

It seems that new cars ship with the foam inserts in them to dampen the tyre noise, but when you replace the tyres after however many years it takes, you may not get the same experience :) -- I hope that one can get replacement tyres in the future with foam inserts in them :)
Really? What purpose do these foam inserts serve? I must admit that I have never heard of this. Off to do some research.

Edit o say that a quick and dirty search showed foam inserts for RC models and bicycles but nothing for car tyres.
More details please.

Yeah. It's a lovely car and the premium does come with a decent amount of kit. Unfortunately, at least for now, the driver's assistance package can only be gotten with the premium plus. Likely due to the chip shortage.

Really? What purpose do these foam inserts serve? I must admit that I have never heard of this. Off to do some research.

Edit o say that a quick and dirty search showed foam inserts for RC models and bicycles but nothing for car tyres.
More details please.
Wife had a 2018 BMW 530 touring which had foam inserts in the runflats, only became aware of it when she got a puncture. I’m sure it’s used to reduce road noise?

Wife had a 2018 BMW 530 touring which had foam inserts in the runflats, only became aware of it when she got a puncture. I’m sure it’s used to reduce road noise?
A further trawl through the net has had no success. Can anyone shed more light on this, a link or direct experience? Interested to know how and if it works.

A further trawl through the net has had no success. Can anyone shed more light on this, a link or direct experience? Interested to know how and if it works.
Mactech on here is a real proponent I think. GoodYears versions are called SoundComfort.

Reactions: JHS

What to do?

Robin
Have you tried just putting yor car details on Motorway ?, you might be pleasantly surprised in the current used car situation :)

Maybe I've missed something here? Why aren't you interested in selling your November 2020 E220d coupe on 16k miles privately?

Retail price still looks like £36k, and there's a private seller chasing £34k for his "69" car that's half a year older than yours.

Is it a condition, or faff thing? Why give the margin to a dealer, unless he's given you a unique discount on the C300?

Last edited:
Maybe I've missed something here? Why aren't you interested in selling your November 2020 E220d coupe on 16k miles privately?

Retail price still looks like £36k, and there's a private seller chasing £34k for his "69" car that's half a year older than yours.

Is it a condition, or faff thing? Why give the margin to a dealer, unless he's given you a unique discount on the C300?
The car is a February 2020 car that I purchased from Norwich dealership for £36,000 in November so I have owned the car for 4 months so I was expecting a better price considering I was buying a new car from them.

My car is on Auto Trader but other than someone popping up and offering to buy it for £32,000 very little interest, the car is in excellent condition being just over 2 years old.

This is my car

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom