New C Class Estate - When do they arrive in the UK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mudster

MB Enthusiast
Car
2008 A150 SE Classic, 2007 Saab 9-3 Sportwagon
As the title..

My Vito lease is up next year and I need a replacement vehicle, but I have so little use for a van I've decided to replace it with an Estate. I lease these and I don't want to spend over £450 a month + vat (business contract) which seems to come in around the £30,000 level on this type of car. Fuel consumption isn't too great an issue (within reason) which is why I prefer the petrol versions. I'm only likely to do 12k - 15k a year.

Current favourites
Audi A4 2.0TFSi S Line Multironic (I think I'll get some good deals on this as it's being replaced next year)

Saab 9-3 Sportwagon 2.0T Aero

But I've seen a couple of pics of the C class estate sport and it really looks quite attractive. Having had a look through the saloon model range the 230K seems to be the best compromise.

As much as I'd like an S4 or a C63 AMG - this is a daily driver and needs to be half sensible as over the years I've learnt that my customers don't like to see £50,000 + cars parked outside my premises. They think they're being ripped off. Anyway, I'm spending too much on the SEC to justify another Large engined car.

Any other suggestions welcome.

Well I popped into the local dealership this afternoon and the Estate is available in March. It was a ghost town there though, not a soul in sight. Once I'd prised one of the salesmen away from his coffee and chat with the other surplus salesmen he was reasonably helpful and showed me a couple of saloons. No brochures offered, but was forwarded an email of the expected specifications.

Also popped into Audi, they were heaving, they had a couple of very pleasant young ladies greeting everyone who came in and pointing you in the right direction, was offered coffee provided brochures told I could sit in any of the vehicles on site and wander around until a sales guy was ready or could wait on some comfy sofa.

Liked the look of both cars, but preferred the whole ambiance of the Audi dealership. We'll see I guess.

Liked the look of both cars, but preferred the whole ambiance of the Audi dealership. We'll see I guess.
First impressions:devil: :)

If you like the looks of the Audi, and prefer it to the Mercedes-Benz then game over. If the C-class is still tempting then you could give them a second chance and in defence of this terrible service I would suggest you also stroll into the service area and see how your treated. What sort of service do both dealerships offer? Will they collect the car and leave a suitable courtesy vehicle? Is there an insurance premium when being given a loan car. Do they valet the car when in for servicing and what is the wash bay area like? Do they use horrible pressure washers or perhaps old sponges full of grit?

To me the quality of service is what buys my custom and if folks choose to ignore me, then I in turn make a similar decision. :) That front grille on the Audi just looks soooo big.

Good luck with the decision
John

Also popped into Audi, they were heaving, they had a couple of very pleasant young ladies greeting everyone who came in and pointing you in the right direction, was offered coffee provided brochures told I could sit in any of the vehicles on site and wander around until a sales guy was ready or could wait on some comfy sofa.

Was this the brand-new A4 you were looking at? What did you think - I really fancy the idea of having 4WD but don't want an SUV. I have heard that the latest A4 is a lot bigger (rear seat room made the last one unworkable for me) but that it's actually not that good a car - one roadtest says the the new Mondeo is better. I sooooo wish MB would do AWD on UK cars (or it might be easier if we switched to driving on the right - I'm surprised the EU haven't forced us to do that anyway!).

Actually it was the old model, no sign of the new one yet. I'm looking for something in the new year, but I'm inclined to hang back a few months if I get a good deal on the outgoing model.

As much as i like the look of the new model A4 (and it is nice) I've never been keen on buying the first run of a new model, nice to let them get a year or so in and solve the teething problems.

Plus as I want an Estate, that would probably be another 6 months again...

Interesting what you say about 4x4, I've never quite grasped the benefit of this on a family saloon car and I wasn't even considering a Quattro. Higher fuel consumption, slows the car slightly and I can't have the smooth multitronic I have to have the tiptronic.

Now I see the benefit on say an S4 and particularly the RS4 - but I'm looking at a 2.0T Auto....seems like an unnecessary expense on that model to me.

First impressions:devil: :)

If you like the looks of the Audi, and prefer it to the Mercedes-Benz then game over. If the C-class is still tempting then you could give them a second chance and in defence of this terrible service I would suggest you also stroll into the service area and see how your treated. What sort of service do both dealerships offer? Will they collect the car and leave a suitable courtesy vehicle? Is there an insurance premium when being given a loan car. Do they valet the car when in for servicing and what is the wash bay area like? Do they use horrible pressure washers or perhaps old sponges full of grit?

To me the quality of service is what buys my custom and if folks choose to ignore me, then I in turn make a similar decision. :) That front grille on the Audi just looks soooo big.

John

You know, you're so right. It wasn't that the Mercedes Dealer was rude at all, they weren't.....I just got the feeling of apathy and every other dealer I've been to hasn't really been a whole lot different.

Whereas the Audi dealer you just felt very welcomed and nothing was too much effort.

The grille, when it first came out I was in agreement with Clarkson, now (especially as I'm considering buying one) I notice every new A4 I pass, and the new grille has grown on me to a point when the older model doesn't look so nice.

Really like the look of the C Class Sport Estate though (had a look on Mercedes.de).

(or it might be easier if we switched to driving on the right - I'm surprised the EU haven't forced us to do that anyway!).

I can't ever see that happening - too many cars with RHD - and the cost of engineering junctions / signs etc...

I am surprised we are still using miles though and havnt switch over to kilometres.....even Canada uses Kilometres

Whereas the Audi dealer you just felt very welcomed and nothing was too much effort.
If my experience of VW/Audi dealers is anything to go by then that gloss is very thin and will disappear as soon as you've bought a car from them :mad:

I can't ever see that happening - too many cars with RHD - and the cost of engineering junctions / signs etc...
Sweden managed it back in the 1960's but due to the fact they're connected by land to the rest of the European continent they had an advantage in doing so. As an island there's not much point in the UK changing and, as you say, the infrastructure costs would be huge.
I am surprised we are still using miles though and havnt switch over to kilometres.....even Canada uses Kilometres
The EU has given up on the UK wrt mandating metric measurement for everything. I know it's completely daft to have two different systems of measurements, but bearing in mind that we've purchased fuel in litres for a couple of decades at least and we still all talk fuel consumption in mpg, I suspect that there's little chance that it'll ever change.

There's something comforting about imperial measurements anyway. A pint's a pint not 568.3ml, 100mph is a ton not 160kph and a 36DD is... ;)

I know it's completely daft to have two different systems of measurements, but bearing in mind that we've purchased fuel in litres for a couple of decades at least and we still all talk fuel consumption in mpg, I suspect that there's little chance that it'll ever change.

;)

True -- I hate litres per 100 km - makes no sense to me at all - but we could say how many miles per litre our cars do -- and then move on to how many km per litre.....my car does 8.6 miles per litre .....God knows though what that is in km per litre ....I suppose around 10 ish

I'm surprised the EU haven't forced us to do that anyway!).
:mad: :mad: They should all learn how to drive on tne correct side of the road. :mad:

I think our fuel is priced in litres just to stop us from really having kittens regarding the price per gallon :eek: :eek:

£4.50 per gallon

John

I think our fuel is priced in litres just to stop us from really having kittens regarding the price per gallon :eek: :eek:

£4.50 per gallon

John

Quite right John, I genuinely believe this is the case. Now that the EU has ruled that we can use imperial measurements after all will we go back to using the Gallon that everyone know and loves? I doubt it.

On a similar note, how many people know how many miles per litre they get from their cars?

<Thread Hijack over>

If my experience of VW/Audi dealers is anything to go by then that gloss is very thin and will disappear as soon as you've bought a car from them :mad:

Damn, so as soon as I buy a car they start behaving like every Mercedes Dealer I've ever been to. So what options am I left with?

Damn, so as soon as I buy a car they start behaving like every Mercedes Dealer I've ever been to. So what options am I left with?
Move to Devon! :)

Regards
John

I noticed that when there a couple of years ago, and wondered how many not-too-bright Americans would think that the common 100 sign on freeways meant 100MPH! :rock:

but preferred the whole ambiance of the Audi dealership. We'll see I guess.

Maybe, but it's the car you're buying, not the dealership and the pretty Audi girls ;)

I tend to concentrate on the car, rather than the decor of the dealership ... (Although MB World is VERY nice ...).

I tend to concentrate on the car, rather than the decor of the dealership ... (Although MB World is VERY nice ...).
I tend to always base my buying on the quality of service. The love of a nice car is very quickly destroyed if you have a lousy dealer.

John

I tend to always base my buying on the quality of service. The love of a nice car is very quickly destroyed if you have a lousy dealer.

John

Actually this is why all my company vehicles are currently Saab's.

The dealer is very ameanable, they take the cars in at short notice and they are always returned fully cleaned inside and out on time and with a smile.
They don't mind you having a nose around in the workshop so you can see what the fitters are doing.

The build quality is not Audi, BMW or Mercedes. The cars drive nicely and cost wise they are an absolute bargain on company deals compared to the German big three.

But the dealers are good, and that makes me want to buy them again, because these are just pieces of equipment for the company and I just want a hassle free service with them if possible.

Compare this to Mercedes:-

Last month the Vito was booked in for it's first MOT (I have this on a 4 year lease - I don't do many miles in it).

Was booked in two weeks in advance and needed a rear light lens, and the air bags tested, I'd confirmed all this over the phone so they had plenty of time to book it in and get the bits.

1/ They forget to collect the van - I had to call to remind them it was booked in.
2/ The van was returned later the same day, with an MOT pass but with an advisory that the rear light needed to be replaced as it was broken. They hadn't ordered it or tested the airbags.
3/ 4 days later the light unit arrives, it's fitted and the van is returned, they failed to check the airbag again.
4/ a further 4 days later a guy can out with the laptop computer thingy, plugged it in and tested the computer - everything reset, no problems.
5/ I've not had an invoice yet, but they are chasing me for payment, for the work they haven't yet provided an invoice for. -

Shambles....

This is what really puts me off getting another merc, it doesn't matter how nice the car is if this is how your treated.

On which point, the Vito is without doubt the nicest van I've ever driven, but I simply will not buy another and that is purely down to the service.

Actually this is why all my company vehicles are currently Saab's.

The dealer is very ameanable, they take the cars in at short notice and they are always returned fully cleaned inside and out on time and with a smile.
They don't mind you having a nose around in the workshop so you can see what the fitters are doing.

The build quality is not Audi, BMW or Mercedes. The cars drive nicely and cost wise they are an absolute bargain on company deals compared to the German big three.

But the dealers are good, and that makes me want to buy them again, because these are just pieces of equipment for the company and I just want a hassle free service with them if possible.

Compare this to Mercedes:-

Last month the Vito was booked in for it's first MOT (I have this on a 4 year lease - I don't do many miles in it).

Was booked in two weeks in advance and needed a rear light lens, and the air bags tested, I'd confirmed all this over the phone so they had plenty of time to book it in and get the bits.

1/ They forget to collect the van - I had to call to remind them it was booked in.
2/ The van was returned later the same day, with an MOT pass but with an advisory that the rear light needed to be replaced as it was broken. They hadn't ordered it or tested the airbags.
3/ 4 days later the light unit arrives, it's fitted and the van is returned, they failed to check the airbag again.
4/ a further 4 days later a guy can out with the laptop computer thingy, plugged it in and tested the computer - everything reset, no problems.
5/ I've not had an invoice yet, but they are chasing me for payment, for the work they haven't yet provided an invoice for. -

Shambles....

This is what really puts me off getting another merc, it doesn't matter how nice the car is if this is how your treated.

On which point, the Vito is without doubt the nicest van I've ever driven, but I simply will not buy another and that is purely down to the service.

But if you are in Surrey you have access to dealers on whom reports are usually excellent like Purslows at Guildford. And MB World near Weybridge has really excellent staff and is a very pleasant experience. Lots of buzz too.

My MB dealer is on the M27 at Southampton and I have always had excellent service from them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom