New C class front end knock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunny

Car
1999 CLK 320 elegance 2001 C200 Kompessor Avantgarde
Hi Guys

Well Gunny has a problem, bought a new shape C Class 3 weeks ago 2001 with 70000 on the clock, when I drove the car at the sellers house I didnt notice anything wrong with the car, but as we all know, "you hand over your hard earned & the minute you get to the end of the the road" !!!!!!

The problem is - it knocks at the front end - worse when going slow over speed humps / drain cover / potholes, dont seem to notice it much at nornal road speeds, the car handles OK & there is no signs of leaking shocks - no broken road springs etc etc.

Could it be anti roll bar connections/ ties bars / strut top mountings, or is it likley to be something more sinister - there are no signs of the car ever been accident damaged - can anyone help please.

Gunny

Its probably the front suspension drop links. Very common problem caused by going over speed humps and the like too fast. There are modified drop links available with increased strength. Parts cost around £35 and 1 hour labout to fit so its not too expensive.

Robbo said:
Its probably the front suspension drop links. Very common problem caused by going over speed humps and the like too fast. There are modified drop links available with increased strength. Parts cost around £35 and 1 hour labout to fit so its not too expensive.

Thanks for that - will order some new ones Monday

Gunny

With reference to my last post relating to the front end knock on my 2001 C200 Komp.
On saturday I changed the Anti roll bar drop links, which in my opinion were past their sell by date. Not a particularly difficult job to do, took me about an hour start to finish.

on completion of the job, a quick trip down the lane littered speed humps confirmed my worst fears - it still knocks.

Now this knock feels to me as if there is something moving - it only does it at slow speeds - when the supension is only lightly loaded. At speeds over "say 30mph" it is not noticable - or should i say not audiable "this doesnt mean that its gone away".

I have noticed that several of you guys have changed the anti roll bar bushes - is this the next thing to check i wonder, or is it likley to be the strut top mountings - whatever, it is clear that it now seems a process of elimination - which could become exbenzive.

Any advice please

Regards

Gunny

It could well be the bottom suspension balljoint(s).

To test jack the car up so the wheel hangs then try to lift the wheel. If there is wear you will see it readily.

or worn lower suspension bushes.

My Audi had it and was only apparent at low speeds like you describe.
This is a knocking noise.

Had worn anti-roll bar bushes on a Citroen, this wasn't a knocking noise, more a rumbling noise.

Last edited:
Spoke the stealership,Service Manger got a technician to talk to me, who seemed to think (without driving the car) that it could be the "anti roll bar locating bush", which apparently is different to the actual anti roll bar bushes that that the bar is mounted in, I am confused.
What i forgot to ask is does the later model still have a steering damper ??

Anyway it now seems that I will have to part with some hard earned & let the stealer ship assess what needs replacing & do the job.

Not Happy

Gunny

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom