New C-Class owner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Originally posted by ddentrec
I agree that some people whinge and moan over all sorts of things. But a brand new Mercedes-Benz, 3 weeks fresh from the Bremen plant, should not have any defects that are noticeable to the owner, especially if they are as basic as poorly-stamped front door skins.
I thought RHD w203 c-classes were made in South Africa?

Originally posted by Shude
I thought RHD w203 c-classes were made in South Africa?

This is an Estate though . . . they're all made in Bremen aren't they ?

S.

It is built in Bremen-it is an RHD estate. Part of the purchase conditions from the dealer was that the car had the be Bremen built. I even have the build number, line number and export port (Cuxhaven, Germany).

Originally posted by fuzzer
Price isnt a matter in this . If it should come with a crease in the door it should say it does in the spec list. If it doesnt , it shouldnt have one.

Respect Fuzzer! :bannana:

That's just how I feel and I fully support ddentrec.

If u buy a brand new car, it should be perfect, not with creases/indentations in the door. Bonnet alignment problems shouldn't have got past the PDI in my opinion.

It's like when my car gets serviced. When I pick it up the first thing I check is that the bodywork is not scratched\dented and the alloys aren't kerbed. The car should come back no worse than when I dropped it off.

My sister bought a new £6k Hyundai Getz for a second family car. Well made and the dealer fell over himself to be pleasant, great customer service.

It's like when my car gets serviced. When I pick it up the first thing I check is that the bodywork is not scratched\dented and the alloys aren't kerbed.

I'm glad I am not the only one who does this!

At the end of the day - if the car was properly made and inspected in the first place, then the dealer (and you) would save a lot of time, money and hassle.
If nobody ever complained, then standards would drop. I appreciate that some people never even notice faults on their cars - but if it is not as it should be - and you are unhappy - get it sorted out!
This is not the sort of advertising a company like MB need and if they either got it right in the first place, or at the very least resolved the problems quickly and without fuss they would have a lot more satisfied customers, leading to repeat customers and word-of-mouth recommendations!
I am sorry to see so many businesses going this way these days.
Surely MB's JD power/Top gear or whatever polls must tell them the current situation and what they need to do about it:
Stop trying to make cheap, poorly built cars and sort out your customer service. Don't try to compete on price the whole time - compete on quality and customer care!!!

Here is another instalment of the new C-Class-with-dodgy-doors saga:

M-B Approved body shop provided the following conclusion after examining the door ‘creases’:

“Each front door panel contains a slight but noticeable distortion in the area adjacent and below the door handles. This distortion is not a paint defect but it is located within the door skin assembly. Each front door exhibits the same distortion within the same location though it is considered that the distortion is more noticeable with the passenger door.”

They refused to elaborate on what the cause of the problem was. This is not too surprising since DaimlerChrysler are their paymasters. They said that the repair options were:1) New door assemblies since M-B do not provide door skins or 2) Grind down the affected areas, and prepare with filler. Yikes. In each case it will be necessary to repaint both the front wings and rear doors to ensure a paint match.

I tried to photograph the affected areas but they just did not appear in the pictures..but I have attached a general photo of the car anyway (although the car is Amethyst Violet it appears as dark blue in the photo).

I have also contacted DaimlerChrysler. I look forward to their ‘Customer Care’ process.

I will post another thread once I have a conclusion to this whole episode; this may not be for a few weeks.

..Oops..file was too big. Here it is again..

Last edited:
Hope it all works out for u, this would be winding me up no end!

Certainly wouldn't fancy the filler option!

How do u go about/stand on rejecting the car?

I've heard people say that you have to let them try and repair the vehicle first but body work repairs involving major resprays shouldn't count in my opinion.

If it won't start, faulty windows, yes, fair enough as the repair is 'invisible'. Respray of both wings and doors on a brand new car, no way, it's unreasonable in my opinion! Where do u draw the line - if it fell off the transporter can they repair it and give it back to you as new? You paid for a factory prepared car.

If u have to go down the respray route, I'd be seeking compensation if I were you.

Best of luck, you sound as determined as I would be to get a satisfactory solution.

Keep us informed!

:mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom