New C Class - Phone Preparation

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by nordberg, Dec 12, 2008.

1. nordberg

nordberg New Member

Hi,

I've just ordered a new C Class Sport estate. I understand they all come with Bluetooth, but mine also has "phone preparation" as an option. My local stealers tell me it makes phone integration "better" which is really helpful (not). Can anyone tell me exactly what "phone preparation" is?

Also, has anyone retrofitted COMAND and is there a guide anywhere for this?

Thanks!

2. Diesel Benz

Diesel Benz Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
    If you are not the same person here, you might find a guide soon, as soon as the person has finished the work:
    http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audio-telematics-forum/1413402-retrofit-comand-my-w204-c-class.html

The phone preparation should be equal to UHI on older cars without BT (HF) supported by the head unit. What I don't know is if the HU remains supporting BT HF even if there was the kit, if not, you would need a BT adapter on the UHI connector in addition to the phone preparation.

The phone preparation is good in the sense that it allows you to choose a BT SAP adapter (see other posts for the difference if you are not familiar). You can also select a phone specific cradle to place the phone there.

Unfortunately I believe Richard does not have a full retrofit guide for the W204, although I did not search carefully:
    http://www.mercupgrades.com/Removing+Installing+COMAND+++Audio+on+W204+C+Class-article-50.html

3. OP
    OP
    nordberg

nordberg New Member

Thanks for the reply. I've done a bit of research using your links.

Seems the C Class now comes with BT HFP (via the stereo) as standard. I understand the SAP module will not work with my phone (WM 6.1) anyway so it's of no use to me at the moment.

Has anyone any experience of using the HFP with a Windows Mobile 6.1 phone? I presume I just beam all my contacts to the HFP and it "just works" ?

Thanks.

4. davidjpowell

davidjpowell Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Range Rover Vogue, Volvo XC60 and crappy Pug 307
    I tried and failed on a courtesy car. Having said that it was only for a day and I had no manual so it may be that I was doing something wrong or had the wrong pin.

5. pauldmaynard

pauldmaynard Active Member

Car:
    W211 220CDI
    I have a new E-Class with phone preparation it cost £400 very bad value if you get a tex I have to take the phone out of the £150 craddle then read it ( 3 points & £60 fine ) when you change your phone it,s £150 + to buy a new craddle to make a phone call it,s about 10 or 20 push buton on the stering wheel & the audio system. Best buy a £100 tom tom much better & safer to use

6. Diesel Benz

Diesel Benz Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
    If the HU works as without the 386 option kit, your phone book should upload automatically. If it doesn't, you should be able to send it from the phone via BT, at least to a car with Comand (I have not seen the user guide for a W204) or you can upload contacts from a memory card that you insert to the Comand PCMCIA interface with an adapter. The car has to be made ready from the HU menu to receive contacts, as far as I remember (my W221 just asks once I send contacts from my phone, no need to set it ready).

7. st13phil

st13phil MB Club Veteran

Car:
    His - Denim Blue A220 AMG Line Premium / Hers - Obsidian Black R172 SLK55
    I don't have a WM phone, but I do have a W204 without the phone pre-wiring. As long as your phone supports the Bluetooth HFP then it should work OK once paired. As far as the address book goes, you have to send your contact entries to the car as vCards and then the car does the rest. This is a real pain if you have a phone that only allows you to send one vCard at a time, but not so bad if you can mark all the contacts you want to transfer to the car and then select "send" en-mass. Obviously there's no automatic synching of the address books.

You may need to play with the mic and speaker sensitivity settings to get good speech quality, depending upon the phone. The manual is quite clear about how to do make the changes, so you shouldn't have too much trouble with it.