New C Class pricing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If the quality is so good then why is the warranty only 3 years?
The only posts you’ve made this year are about the Mercedes warranty being shorter than some upcoming brands, have you had a problem outside of warranty?

It’s a different business model, and it’s adopted by upcoming brands to differentiate them - their pricing increased significantly to fund the longer warranty.

Warranties don’t come for free, they’re either paid for in the new purchase price or paid for after the manufacturer warranty ends, but either way you have to pay for it.

The alternative is to engineer cars for greater longevity. To achieve that requires a much much greater build cost, which the vast majority of customers aren’t prepared to pay.

I like Toyotas warranty system.......you only get three years/100,000 mile warranty but you get an extra years warranty after each service....up to 10 years old. I think most people in the UK would see BMW and Audi as Mercedes main competitors ......both get just three years warranty as well. But I agree....its not enough in this day and age. Bear in mind that the three years warranty is above and beyond you statutory rights. A car has to be built to last a reasonable life connected to the amount paid (so a ten pound kettle wont be covered by law to such a degree as an expensive car). Courts decided that a reasonable life of car parts was 5 years....so if you get a major problem within five years ....and the service guys parrots that's it just got a three year warranty start talking to the manager about consumer law and statutory rights.....usually things then happen! When you get "out of warranty items" covered by "goodwill".....its not at all....its just they realise they will have to pay if it went legal anyway!!! Different budget.....but recently I got my hard drive video recorder with a one year warranty replaced after just over 2 years after it packed up completely. They (Currys) did not want to know to start with....spoke to the manager about my rights....walked out with new recorder.......electrical goods (over £100) are also covered by 5 years of statutory rights. So basically the warranty they give you is only a bonus over the rights you have anyway..the main reason I never buy extended warranty on electrical.....you don't need to as you are covered by law!

Last edited:
UK prices start at £38.8k (saloon) and £40.4K (estate).

Wow - talk about rip-off Britain!

Suspect these will have to be heavily discounted - a C200 Sport (1.5 petrol) for 38k!!

You make a valid point

Looking back at W204 prices then adding inflation a new base model C class should be approx. £32,000 so the new C class cars are 20% more expensive. Some of that will be due to improved spec but they saved money on the new car by using a Renault engine.

No surprise then that in spite of substantially reduced volumes due to chip shortage etc, car manufacturers are making record profits at the moment.

I think two reasons are down to the introduction of EV's.
EV development costs have to be paid for somehow
The very high cost of an EV is producing a paradigm shift in what the public are prepared to pay for a new car.
Throw in the shortage of new cars and it's very much a seller market.

The new model C class in saloon or estate have a longish wait if you want to specify the colour and interior, I have ordered one in Premium trim with sienna brown interior and mojave silver paintwork.

The delivery is around September time, there are some cars available now if you are not too bothered about colouring.

There we’re no offers coming my way when I put the details into CarWow only standard pricing.

Mine is costing me £47,280 with a couple of dealer freebies thrown in.

I purchased my current car an 2020 E220 Premium Coupe from the dealership in November at around £36,000 and when I asked for a partex price I was only offered £31,000 so a drop of £5,000 in 5 months.

It seems there are less decent deals around at the moment, I have paid a £1,000 deposit which is refundable up to the point a build date is specified and costs are incurred.

I will keep an eye open on prices though.

Robin

The new model C class in saloon or estate have a longish wait if you want to specify the colour and interior, I have ordered one in Premium trim with sienna brown interior and mojave silver paintwork.

The delivery is around September time, there are some cars available now if you are not too bothered about colouring.

There we’re no offers coming my way when I put the details into CarWow only standard pricing.

Mine is costing me £47,280 with a couple of dealer freebies thrown in.

I purchased my current car an 2020 E220 Premium Coupe from the dealership in November at around £36,000 and when I asked for a partex price I was only offered £31,000 so a drop of £5,000 in 5 months.

It seems there are less decent deals around at the moment, I have paid a £1,000 deposit which is refundable up to the point a build date is specified and costs are incurred.

I will keep an eye open on prices though.

Robin

There are still definitely deals to be had. Drivethedeal has £3.6k off - Premium spec costing around £45k and Premium plus at £48k for the C300. Autoebid have around £1.8k off them but obviously nowhere near as good as DTD

The discounts have reduced somewhat since December probably down to the Ukraine invasion from what I can tell. We ordered a new golf in December with £5k off list from DTD. The prices of the car has since gone up and the discount too

The only posts you’ve made this year are about the Mercedes warranty being shorter than some upcoming brands, have you had a problem outside of warranty?

It’s a different business model, and it’s adopted by upcoming brands to differentiate them - their pricing increased significantly to fund the longer warranty.

Warranties don’t come for free, they’re either paid for in the new purchase price or paid for after the manufacturer warranty ends, but either way you have to pay for it.

The alternative is to engineer cars for greater longevity. To achieve that requires a much much greater build cost, which the vast majority of customers aren’t prepared to pay.
Forgive me.

I didn't know there was a set number of posts I had to make before I could comment about the Mercedes warranty policy.

I'll try and do better next time.

Forgive me.

I didn't know there was a set number of posts I had to make before I could comment about the Mercedes warranty policy.

I'll try and do better next time.
At risk of jumping to the wrong conclusion, I fear that you may possibly have jumped to the wrong conclusion.

I asked because you posted on a dormant thread (6 months+) by posing a question, and I’d seen you’d posted something very similar on another thread, and those were you’re only two posts this year if I remember right? I wondered whether you had a problem that either I or other members could help you with.

Many members - including me - are always happy to help if we can. And most - including me - don’t bear grudges.

They need at least one variant costing under £40k for VED purposes.
The list price on an estate >£40k isn't going to help either.
5 years x £335 = £1,675

They need at least one variant costing under £40k for VED purposes.
The list price on an estate >£40k isn't going to help either.
5 years x £335 = £1,675

I doubt it really makes much difference in the grand scheme of things

The majority of cars are leased and most deals have VED included so itll make the price go up by £30 a month. This VED malarkey has been going on since 2017 and its barely made a dent on premium car sales.

I doubt it really makes much difference in the grand scheme of things

The majority of cars are leased and most deals have VED included so itll make the price go up by £30 a month. This VED malarkey has been going on since 2017 and its barely made a dent on premium car sales.

?????

A proportion of cars are *leased* and typically have VED included.

A large proportion of private purchases are PCPs/ finance - and typically do not have VED included.

A car that originally lsted at £40K+ that is sold as used at two or three years old may still be impacted by VED when it comes to market perception.

At present the market is behaving unusually - and inflation is going to have an impact on perceptions of value and cost if things settle. So the relative cost of VED may be perceived to be lower due to inflation - OTOH prospective customers may be more price sensitive if spending power drops. The new car market is very vulnerable to a gap growing between new and used car prices as that messes with lease and PCP financing.

I haven't bought a brand new car for years, but Mrs S has.
If she were to replace her 2018 SEAT for a new equivalent - which she doesn't, because a) you can't get one at the moment, b) she doesn't like the new version and c) VW Group are apparently still having trouble fixing the software gremlins - she'd need to pay 30% more for a similarly specced 2022 model, or 60% more if she wanted to do her bit for the planet and get the PHEV version.

I haven't bought a brand new car for years, but Mrs S has.
If she were to replace her 2018 SEAT for a new equivalent - which she doesn't, because a) you can't get one at the moment, b) she doesn't like the new version and c) VW Group are apparently still having trouble fixing the software gremlins - she'd need to pay 30% more for a similarly specced 2022 model, or 60% more if she wanted to do her bit for the planet and get the PHEV version.
All the new VW's and SEATS have that horrific infotainment. At least on the Audi you still get climate control buttons thank god

At least on the Audi you still get climate control buttons thank god

The lack of manual buttons to be replaced by a big touch screens is a big turn off for me in a new car. There is no doubt in my mind that this trend is not customer led but manufacturer led, simply because it's cheaper. I'm still amazed that there is no regulatory oversight on how dangerous these screens can be. An interesting perspective from Autocar.

Matt Prior: the rise of distracting in-car screens must be stopped | Autocar

It gets worse! For a 1.0 litre 3 cylinder!

How much!

Well being more aligned to this forum .... it get's even worse.

A 2.0-ish litre 4 pot diesel in a GLE ..... starts listing at £55K.

The Focus (and equivalents such as the Leon or Octavia) are surprisingly large cars - and come with estate versions.

The Focus now feels more like the equivalent of the Mondeo of old - and substantially more solid and quality than a Mondeo of 20+ years ago.

Well being more aligned to this forum .... it get's even worse.

A 2.0-ish litre 4 pot diesel in a GLE ..... starts listing at £55K.

The Focus (and equivalents such as the Leon or Octavia) are surprisingly large cars - and come with estate versions.

The Focus now feels more like the equivalent of the Mondeo of old - and substantially more solid and quality than a Mondeo of 20+ years ago.
The new Civic which i might add is a horrible looking thing actually looks like an old Accord

If the quality is so good then why is the warranty only 3 years?
Interesting insightful view from Markjay earlier in this thread. If the target market is commercial or PCP then the business model is to only include the necessary years of warranty to capture that market i.e. 3 years would be about right.

If its longevity and reliability you want then you will need to look East - Kia, Hyundai, Toyota, Honda.

Interesting insightful view from Markjay earlier in this thread. If the target market is commercial or PCP then the business model is to only include the necessary years of warranty to capture that market i.e. 3 years would be about right.

The three year warranties also acted to enhance the 1 and 2 year old used car market - and kept cars coming back to the dealers for servicing - where dealers are able to charge full rates for servicing cars that don't need much servicing - and the dealers' service departments also get supported by warranty work

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom