New C Class - very disappointed!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SimonsMerc

MB Enthusiast
Car
Merc S212 E350 CDI BlueEfficiency Sport 256bhp, Suzuki GSX-650F, Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Dynamic
I am doing some work in Paris, and because the place I'm working is slightly south of the city, I am hiring cars and driving around.

Last week I had a BMW 320d touring. I've never driven a 3 series before, but I have to say it was absolutely superb. The 2L diesel engine is a peach - a lovely purr making you question whether it's really a diesel, with plenty of power for this size of car, very pleasant when overtaking with loads of torque available low down in the rev range, and yet an average of 7.3 l/100km over the course of the week (mainly in Paris traffic). The car drives beautifully - I was absolutely amazed. The handling is dead on - it feels more like a sports car, it sticks to the road, it's like you merge with the car such that you can use your own nerve impulses to tell it which way to go. And at the same time, it manages to be comfortable and make me feel like I have lots of space.

The built in BMW GPS system is amazing - the most exact I have ever seen (to the extent of knowing which way I was facing in an underground car-park six stories below ground), with very up to date maps, extremely fast re-routing, amazing integration with TMC (it automatically re-routed me around an accident using small side-roads, and took me back out 100 yards beyond the crash - I looked back and saw the huge tailback it had saved me from) and generally very clever routing options. All in all, I was so impressed with the package I am considering it as a replacement for my 7 series (I want a bit more boot space for lugging around amplifiers and computers and stuff).

This week, I have a C220cdi Avantgarde Estate as a hire car (from Hertz). It has just over 12000 km on the clock, has faux-leather seats, auto box, parktronic and COMAND. And, it is absolutely awful. It is slow and underpowered, even though the engine is larger than the BMW, and it sounds like a tractor (and when going uphill like an asthmatic tractor). The handling is all over the shop - the car gives so little feedback/response it's more like herding cattle than driving. It feels like, rather than trying to build a sports saloon, they tried to package up the E class feeling into a cheaper product, and have failed miserably.

As for the COMAND system - good lord, it's terrible. The maps are obviously out of date, even though the car is only six months old (leading to it telling me to turn into one-way streets in Paris, and taking me into a road which has clearly been closed for multiple years). The GPS is inaccurate - there were a couple of places where it clearly drifted while I was standing still (does this system not have an input from the various car sensors?), and it sometimes seems to take five or ten seconds to even notice that I have strayed from the correct route. Even when it does notice, it starts re-routing from the point at which I strayed, not where I then am, meaning that re-routing is useless - because it takes so long to re-route that I have gone past the point it wants me to turn off at. Worst of all, my destination address was in Massy south of Paris, so I wanted to go South from Gare du Nord, but the stupid thing took me east on to the ring road, which is patently ridiculous in and of itself, and right into the heaviest traffic! I really had to laugh - TMC was *showing* traffic on the route it was taking me to, a whole line of cars replacing the drawing of the road (and making the map harder to read), but it took me onto it and around the ring-road anyway.

I love my E320cdi; it eats up the miles effortlessly, it wafts along with class, it drives and handles well, and is the most comfortable and practical car I have ever had. I will be replacing it with a new E class next year (waiting for the release of the new one in 2009). I am a big fan of Mercedes in general. But my experience this week shows that the old adage is true: Mercedes starts with an E.

-simon

W204 has been out on Europe for 12mths now.

Agree on the 3 Series - I just don't like the whole BMW thing but the 3 Series is a lovely drive. If you thought the 320d was good, then you'd find the 6 cyl petrol's amazing. We used to have a few at work which I'd have from time to time, and it's the only car I've driven where I felt compelled to "take the back road home". Even my wife liked driving them, and she normally has no intererest in cars whatsoever.

I've test driven both a C200cdi sport coupe and a C220cdi saloon and I thought both were pretty gutless and it felt hard to make either go anywhere with ny sense of urgency. When I test drove the sport coupe, it was tested back to back against a BMW 320td compact and the compact won hands down.

the sports coupe was much nicer inside, it looked a lot more modern and special, and had better on board computers etc but in terms of handling and power there was no contest.

I did once also test drive an E320cdi too and I wasn't over the moon about it either. it was okay, and it had a bit of grunt but it felt very lazy and again, hard to feel much sense of urgency.

Yesterday though, I test drove two Alfa Romeo 159's. both diesel models, the 2.4 and the 1.9. I found both to be quite fun to drive with good power and excellent handling. they both felt pretty well put together and very attractive both inside and out. I could be quite tempted to replace my SLK with one. (fiancee doesn't like me putting the roof down, and I could do with something a little more practical than the SLK at times).

that said, apparently the satnav is utter rubbish and I don't think it even has postcode search, which for an '06 car is near unforgiveable.

dave

I thought a W204 and E90 3 series were pretty evenly matched driving dynamic wise. A E90 would run rings around a W203 but not W204...

The COMAND in my W204 shows none of the problems mentioned, although I cannot comment about it's knowledge of the streets of Paris.

The COMAND in my W204 shows none of the problems mentioned, although I cannot comment about it's knowledge of the streets of Paris.

forgive the comment, but do you use your sat nav much in the Shetlands?

I have no probs with mine, loads of torque and plenty of power for 2.2 litre.
As for new the comand system, i feel after using it for a while now is so much better. Sounds like there's a satellite link error in the one you drove.?

Was this the all new W204 C class or the older W203. W204 started life in end 07 start 08 IIRC

Actually the car was an estate, S204 which has not been available as long as the sedan. Don't remember when it came exactly (for the LHD Europe).

I find it odd if the maps were outdated on the MB and not on the BMW as both are using either Navteq or Tele-Atlas and both generally have good and accurate maps available. In Europe MB also buys a full version unlike for the US where they seem to offer poor road coverage (even if the MAP provider had better maps available).

The W/S204 Navi should be as good as the W221 Navi, and even better in some features. The W221 Comand APS knows the car position with gyros and speed signal pretty accurately under ground too. The number of satellites my unit is able to read seems better than the W203 device is typically doing. If the report really was for an S204, the individual car must have had some serious issues.

The C220CDI also has 170PS which should be sufficient. Perhaps not the low RPM torque that 6 cylinder (or 8) engines have. Certainly not as agile as the C63AMG. Perhaps the car was running in limp-home-mode. :rolleyes:

I just cannot stand the rear lights at the back., everything seems Ok to me.

it looks like an accord or a kia from behind

it looks like an accord or a kia from behind

They designed it to look like the BM5. When W202 first came out the triangle rear cluster look brilliant, that why I bought one. It still looks brilliant after 10 years. Other manufacturers copied it that how it looks now in the W204 to be unique. I am sure other manufacturers will copied it too. The W204 is meant to be in line with the CLS, jelly mould first came out in the Sierra. Ford couldn't do it, modified it further in the later Sierra. The jelly mould is supposed to be aero-dynamic with coefficient of 0.2 something.

forgive the comment, but do you use your sat nav much in the Shetlands?

As a matter of interest, without looking up the answer how many miles of road do you (or anyone) think there are in shetland? I'm not getting at you Sweeney, just interested in what peoples conception is of Shetland.

Sorry to drift slighty off topic.:(

I enjoyed reading the author's write-up but it left me curious.

The mapping software is probably wrote by the same company, TMC is exactly the same information broadcast to all French systems, so is it the car's systems that have somehow caused thes issues, or could there have been problems with the specific C-class?

Regards
John

As a matter of interest, without looking up the answer how many miles of road do you (or anyone) think there are in shetland? I'm not getting at you Sweeney, just interested in what peoples conception is of Shetland.

Sorry to drift slighty off topic.:(

Off topic is fine, I'm not particularly attached to the thread ;-)

Answer: I have never been there, so I'd guess at 60, but it wouldn't surprise me if I was out by an order of magnitude!

-simon

I enjoyed reading the author's write-up but it left me curious.

The mapping software is probably wrote by the same company, TMC is exactly the same information broadcast to all French systems, so is it the car's systems that have somehow caused thes issues, or could there have been problems with the specific C-class?

Regards
John

Giving Mercedes the benefit of the doubt (as I am wont to, since I like Mercedes), I'm going to guess that, regarding TMC, there is some setting somewhere which is disabled, and it is simply ignoring the TMC data when making routing decisions. There is no other sensible explanation for it. Going back to the hotel today, it again tried to take me via a very congested motorway - I forced it to find another route by telling it to completely ignore motorways, and then it took me the way the BMW navigation system had taken me previously (bypassing the traffic). So perhaps all I need to do is find that option. I spent perhaps 10 minutes in the hotel car park trying to find it, and failed (and I'm a pretty technical guy when it comes to computers), so it's pretty well hidden!

Alfie, help? :)

-simon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom