New C-Class W205 Has a Longer Wheelbase Than The E-Class W210

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by The Boss, Apr 29, 2014.

1. The Boss

The Boss Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    private!
    New C-Class W205 Has a Longer Wheelbase Than The E-Class W210

[​IMG]

Over the years and four generations - if we're also including the 190E (W201) - the Mercedes-Benz C-Class has remained rather faithful to a much smaller size than its big brothers, with each new generation taking only baby steps in terms of overall dimensions.

The recently-launched C-Class W205 is the first in its lineage to forget baby steps and make a radical jump as far as size is concerned.

With an entirely new approach in terms of design and technology features, the new C-Class has grown so much in every direction that its wheelbase, width and height are actually surpassing those of the E-Class W210 from 1995.

In fact, the only areas where the old E-Class is better than its modern small brother are the elbow room in the rear and its overall length, neither of which being of extreme importance for a modern C-Class owner.

With an aluminium content of no less than 48 percent and up to 100 kg (220 pounds) lighter than its predecessor, the Mercedes-Benz C-Class W205 is also lightest model in its segment, not to mention the most aerodynamically-efficient one as well.

Mainly thanks to these two well-thought out features, the new model has cut fuel consumption by up to 20 percent compared to its predecessor, meaning that it also bests the old E-Class W210 by quite a large margin while being much faster.

If fitted with the Airmatic suspension, the levels of comfort and agility are unprecedented in any old C-Class or E-Class model, making the new W205 an actual revolution form a number of points of view.

1 person likes this.
  2. Roger Bill

Roger Bill Active Member

Car:
    W205 C200 Petrol
    The new C Class also has shorter front and rear overhangs which I believe is of benefit to handling; a wheel at each corner like the original Mini is best. Probably also good for comfort. I'm really looking forward to test driving the W205 here in the UK sometime in the next month or two.

3. crockers

crockers MB Club Veteran

Car:
    XC60 MY2014 SeLux Nav plus lot and lots of toys...
    Does size matter?

4. OP
    OP
    The Boss

The Boss Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    private!
    lol

Depends..

if you know what you are doing.. no.. if you dont.. yes!

5. EClassy

EClassy Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    A205 C200 Cabriolet AMG Line - Prem +, ILS, 360° camera, leather dash and Driving Assistance Pkg
    My W212 is only 6 inches less in lenght than my dads W126. It is 1 inch wider

1 person likes this.
  6. KillerHERTZ

KillerHERTZ Administrator Staff Member

Car:
    CLS55 AMG
    Same with every car manufacturer, its simple if you make a product to replace an existing product it needs to be more, more = bigger.

Mr & Mrs retired couple want a new Fiesta, "its the same size as the old one, why bother?" Where as a bigger replacement is Considered progress or an advancement.

A current model Fiesta is barely shorter than a W202

7. renault12ts

renault12ts MB Club Veteran

Car:
    2005 W215 CL500.
    The w202 is 55cm longer...which is quite a bit longer.

8. E55BOF

E55BOF Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S211 E500, S212 E63, XK convertible, FJR1300, Caponord, Yamaha Bulldog
    Wonder how the W205 load area in the estate compares to the S210?

I see it's "much faster" than the W210, too. Depends which W205 and which W210...

E55BOF