New C Class (W205) - No classic grill in the UK?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fab1975

Car
C300 Hybrid (W205)
Hi All,

I am new to this forum and currently drive an Audi A4. Don't worry, I come in peace and might be about to jump ship in the next few months ;)

I am really impressed by the new C class (W205) but still cannot get my head around the fact that here in the UK there does not seem to be any option to have the "old style" Mercedes front grill with the small badge on the bonnet (instead of the "rapper style" one on the grill).

I have just came back from holiday near Lake Garda, where I saw several brand new Italian, German and French W205 cars with the classic grill. As a matter of fact, the only C class I saw with the big star on the grill was in bright orange with tinted windows and matt black alloys, which says it all.

I do appreciate the fact that the big star grill can be available as an option for whoever prefers a sportier look, but personally I think it is absurd that UK customers are denied the opportunity to have a classic style grill on an otherwise very desirable and elegant car.

Am I the only one to think the same? Did anyone manage to find a way to buy a classic grill C class here in the UK?

Sorry if this subject has already being discussed in another thread, but I am new to this forum and could not find any specific reference to the grill issue on the new C class.

Cheers

Fab

Welcome to the forum.

Yes it's been discussed lots here (probably why no one has replied until now). It's a shame but I guess the UK sales stats speak for themselves.

RE Jumping ship... Jump! Jump! Jump! ;)

+1 for the classic grill.

And welcome to the forum.

Not an option on UK specs afraid.

Prefer the sportier look to be honest, that's why I've just ordered one!

Can you not retrofit one? Has the aperture changed much from 204 to 205?

Is this the grille you're talking about?

If not, can't you buy one from abroad and swap it out?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 40
They have different bumpers as well as just the grill.

Lake Garda, Como and Lugano are where the Germans test their concept cars and new models. I seen the CLS early 2004 in Bellagio and thought it looked like a space age car.

Hi guys, thank you for the warm welcome and sorry again for not noticing that the grill subject had already been debated on this forum...typical newbie error!

I have performed a bit of research and found out that unfortunately it is not just a matter of replacing the grill and putting the star on the bonnet, as the bumpers are also different. Moreover, the grill itself is much more technologically advanced than what its classic looks might suggest, since it has some sort of flap panels that open and close automatically to allow the right amount of air flow to the radiator.

In practice, retrofitting the classic grill would be an unnecessarily complex and expensive exercise, especially considering that it is available pretty much everywhere in Europe apart from the UK :-(

In fact, there is a version called Exclusive sold at least in the following countries:

- France
- Germany
- Ireland... yes, right hand drive :wallbash:
- Italy
- Poland
- Spain
- Sweden

Now, considering that it is not really much more expensive than the standard SE, maybe the real reason for Mercedes to call it "Exclusive" is that the UK is actually excluded :mad:

As far as I am concerned, I really hope that Mercedes UK will review their decision, because some of their more traditional potential customers (like myself) might be put off by the unavailability of what has been one of the most (if not THE most) distinctive features of their cars for over 100 years. Unless it is a strategy to force everyone who wants a classic grill to buy an S-Class ;-)

Maybe if more people voice their concerns on a forum like this, somebody in Stuttgart (or most probably in Milton Keynes) will listen to us and take action.

Cheers

Fab

Im not sure if its mentioned in any of the other forum posts but it seems demand for the classic grill in the UK is very low.

According to Mercedes-Benz C-Class Estate review (2014 onwards) - MSN Cars UK...

Quote:
"Sadly, with only 1.7% of UK buyers opting for the ‘classic Saloon grille’, complete with the famous star, it’s no longer an option in the UK. So you’re left with the hip, trendy and oh-so-youthful ‘Sport’ grille, complete with ‘get out of my way’ oversized grille badge".

While this is the estate version review, I assume the figure holds true across the range.

"Sadly, with only 1.7% of UK buyers opting for the ‘classic Saloon grille’, complete with the famous star, it’s no longer an option in the UK. So you’re left with the hip, trendy and oh-so-youthful ‘Sport’ grille, complete with ‘get out of my way’ oversized grille badge".

The one thing that visually separated all other cars from a Merc was the grille & star and they remove the option. What short sighted marketing disaster, 1.7% or not.

It's cheaper to produce and they're are trying to lure the (no offence) youngsters to the brand.

Worked on me!

I have also been told by a Mercedes sales executive that nowadays the demand for the classic grill in the UK is very low. Nevertheless, I still would like it to be available as an option in the same way as it happens in all the other major markets in Europe (and probably worldwide). As for the production costs, if Mercedes sells the Exclusive version in Ireland and South Africa, I believe it should not be too expensive or complex to make it available here in the UK in order to please the more traditional customers. I am not that old, but I still remember the days when the big star was only available on coupes or spiders, while the saloons had the classic grill... the only (embarrassing) exceptions being old bangers ;-)
Pretty much everywhere else outside the UK customers are still given the option to choose between a sportier and a more elegant version. Why that is no longer the case in the second biggest car market in the EU is a big mystery :confused:

Why that is no longer the case in the second biggest car market in the EU is a big mystery :confused:

Greed by M-B U.K.. Nothing more. Simply, I would imagine it costs less to order all 205's with just a single type front end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom