New C interior v Astra Sport...YES ASTRA!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gucci

MB Enthusiast
Car
Jaguar XF 3.0 Ultimate Black
So there I was pottering around the Canary Wharf Motor Expo. Had a chance to see the new C. Quite like the outside (apart from the Citroen Xsara lights). But as seems to be the case, the plastic interior is NOT a special place to be.

On the other hand, I jumped into the Vauxhall Astra Sport with Panoramic roof, black "piano wood" dash... it was a really nice place to be. The glass roof was fantastic, the dash was SOLID.

Let's see them fix the C on the facelifted version in a few years!

I cant help but get the feeling that MB have got it wrong with the new C class interior.

As you say, it doesn't feel that special. There's too much black plastic. Its the same plastic that is in the A class. However, what's fine on the A class isn't necessarily OK on a car that costs £10K more...

I cant help but get the feeling that MB have got it wrong with the new C class interior.

As you say, it doesn't feel that special. There's too much black plastic. Its the same plastic that is in the A class. However, what's fine on the A class isn't necessarily OK on a car that costs £10K more...

The look and feel is dictated by the materials. The materials are dictated by German law which specifies the amount of material of a car which must recycle. So the materials are simpler and less composite.

The look and feel is dictated by the materials. The materials are dictated by German law which specifies the amount of material of a car which must recycle. So the materials are simpler and less composite.

And with the same set of rules Opel, Audi, Wartburg all appear to do it better... :eek:

I wouldnt actually. Its a nice car and seems very well built (OK so I dont like the plastic much), but it doesnt inspire me enough to think about changing from my W203.

I wouldnt actually. Its a nice car and seems very well built (OK so I dont like the plastic much), but it doesnt inspire me enough to think about changing from my W203.

Couldn't agree more. Its fine but I wouldn't give up my car for one.

People complain but at the end of the day we would all kill for a W204.

eh no ...... instead of upping the auntie , they have actually lowered the quality with the new model. Way to go Mercedes!

And with the same set of rules Opel, Audi, Wartburg all appear to do it better... :eek:

Fascinating, I thought I was the only fan of old Wartburgs. Wasn't their factory taken over by someone like Opel or VW?

New C Class

Well I took a trip with the missus down the local dealership Saturday afternoon to see the new C CLASS - having seen soo many piccys of it - was desperate to lay my eyes on it in the flesh.

They had all 3 variants to see.

For me the best looking one - was the sport model - it seemed to sit better compared to the other two models. We didnt like the huge wingmirrors! :eek: monster sized.

I sat inside what i think was the classic version. Very quickly we both picked up on the huge amount of black plastic everywhere, and were quick to compare to our W203. We werent too impressed with the cabin to be honest. The popup radio / command area was quite good - a definite improvement there.

We didnt like the grill on the Elegance model either - very American Cadillac looking.

I didnt get to sit inside the Sport model - but the interior looked a little better, saw more leather / man made leather on the inside of the doors. Need to probably sit in it to be 100%.

Overall I think we both preferred our current W203 (facelifted) in terms of styling - classic lines - whereas this new shape is quite boxy, and a bit Lexus i200 looking. Like other peeps have said - i am unsure as to whether i would change my current C Class for the new one.

I kind of wonder what the AMG version will look like. In the past - you could spot the subtle differences -- in terms of extra bodykit / alloys / badging. I feel that the W204 AMG wont look any different. Is that a good thing / bad thing.? :confused:

I still want to test drive one.

I had a good look inside and out at dozens of W204s at Brooklands yesterday.

Outside: Neat and elegant if a bit heavy around the rear, the front is the best angle to view it from. But I'm not sure how it will last the normal 8 year model cycle. But then the new Mondeo is hardly adventurous either.

Inside: I echo the comments about the plasticy dash, but more importantly, I think, was the terrible cloth used on the standard trim seats. It really felt like cheap sack cloth. Yes, a lot of cars will be speced up to Artico or real leather, but at a cost.

Funnily enough the kids seem to think we should swap our CLK for the S500. No surprise there, given all the gadgets inside (and a real quality interior - the leather was gorgeous!)

Not sure I'd commit murder to get my hands on a car, but as long as we're using hyperbole I'd rather die than end up with a Vauxhall Astra. ;)

People complain but at the end of the day we would all kill for a W204.

I wouldn't. Maybe an early W202 C43 AMG, but not for a W203 or W204...Certainly not for a W204. I haven't liked it from day one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom