New c200 - water under bonnet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hutch789

Car
C Class
Picked up new c200 estate approx 1 month ago. Cleaning it today and once finished I opened the bonnet to check fluid levels etc and noticed a lot of water appears to have got underneath.

Particularly worrying was that it appeared to be pooling around some electrical components (e.g. the battery terminals).

Before I am asked, I didn’t use a power washer, just a straight forward hose pipe (and not on a powerful setting but on a spray set). I also stand a decent distance away and don’t direct it directly at the front or straight down from the windscreen end.

I am puzzled as I’ve never seen anything like this before - do you think I have a faulty rubber or something or is this a design issue? I’m not a Merc engineer but even I know water and electrical components are not happy bed fellows!

Any help or advice greatly appreciated...

Pic...

Attachments

• 95C7D834-6F9D-48F7-9D47-B074D5E89D0F.jpeg
    95C7D834-6F9D-48F7-9D47-B074D5E89D0F.jpeg
    792 KB · Views: 44
There is another thread on this subject somewhere.
It's not a brilliant design. If you look below the windscreen, around wiper shafts, there is only one drainage hole. I would take photo but I am nowhere near the car.
It seems to work well enough though, perhaps in your case it was volume of water rather than pressure.

Thanks fourwheels.

I did try searching the forum but got a lot of irrelevant searches back - would you be able to point me in the direction of the thread you had in mind?

Could be a volume issue I guess, but I washed my w204 next to it and that engine bay is pretty much bone-dry - so a poor design indeed if that’s the cause.

Also noticed that, despite there being less than 1,000 miles on the clock - engine bay lower down is very dirty - again, is this normal?

I think the thread on that water problem was within the last year but I can't find it, although at the time I went out and looked at mine.
Perhaps somebody on here can locate it. I remember the op was suggesting drilling a hole to let excess water out but was advised against it.

hutch 789
This is the thread I was thinking of. Not quite the same as your problem, but if there was a build up of water from the hose --- ?
Puddle of water, C Class 200

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom