New C250 arrived...but wrong wheels fitted. Advice please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Reason I asked was The 'Edition 125' Sport come with 18" as standard, I thought I read the upgrade to 18" was for Edition 125 models but may be wrong. Mercedes website doesnt list the spec for non Edition 125 models anymore.

With 17 inch wheels it may even drop a tax band and even it it does not you will probably get better mpg.

It is pretty unusual for cars to be built incorrectly though not unheard of.

Reason I asked was The 'Edition 125' Sport come with 18" as standard, I thought I read the upgrade to 18" was for Edition 125 models but may be wrong. Mercedes website doesnt list the spec for non Edition 125 models anymore.

Download the edition 125 price list from here this give the spec. The 125 is the standard Spec but comes with a Comand upgrade for an extra £500.

I have just had delivery of a C220 Edition 125 Elegance.

Mercedes-Benz UK - New cars - Edition 125

With 17 inch wheels it may even drop a tax band and even it it does not you will probably get better mpg.

It doesn't, I checked.

CO2 is 136 with 17s as opposed to 138 with 18s.

If it was 134 then I would consider saving 1% tax each year but even then it is only about £135 per year.

Download the edition 125 price list from here this give the spec. The 125 is the standard Spec but comes with a Comand upgrade for an extra £500.

I have just had delivery of a C220 Edition 125 Elegance.

Mercedes-Benz UK - New cars - Edition 125

Correct, Ed125 brings Comand only.

The brochure I have predates Ed 125 and lists the spec for the UK cars.

Believe me, I know the C Class, A4 and 3 series specs inside out after 2 months deciding!

Price list for Sport Edition 125 does say 18" wheels.

"18" AMG alloy wheels – 7-spoke design"

Do you have the Comand etc which was the key element of the 125 upgrade?

Price list for Sport Edition 125 does say 18" wheels.

"18" AMG alloy wheels – 7-spoke design"

Do you have the Comand etc which was the key element of the 125 upgrade?

My car isn't a Sport Edition 125, just a Sport

"18" AMG alloy wheels – 7-spoke design" are standard on the Sport also.

I have Becker Map Pilot not Comand.

Are the wheel sizes different front and back, this is a no cost option in the 125 brochure. Probably looks quite cool with these on. Is this what they have fitted?

17" AMG alloy wheels (4) – 5- twin-spoke design
front: 225/45 tyres
rear: 245/40 tyres

Just found old price list dated 1st April 2011 (no it is not a joke) The Sport on this date has 18" AMG wheels - 7 Spoke design Front are 225/40 and Rear 255/35 (Code 782) so it would seem you may have the no cost option, the 17inch wheels are option code 784.

Last edited:
Are the wheel sizes different front and back, this is a no cost option in the 125 brochure. Probably looks quite cool with these on. Is this what they have fitted?

17" AMG alloy wheels (4) – 5- twin-spoke design
front: 225/45 tyres
rear: 245/40 tyres

That's the wheels.

It looks odd (a bit 'underwheeled') moreso because the car is an estate. Can't believe I didn't click before I took delivery earlier. :doh:

On page 18 of the brochure linked above there are 4 wheels, from top to bottom:

1. 18" upgrade for Elegance (cost options
2. Standard Sport Wheels
3. 17" Sport wheels (no cost option and what my car has)
4. 18" Sport wheels (no cost option, and what I thought my car had first of all when it was delivered).

See the confusion!! 3. and 4. are VERY similar, other than size!

Last edited:
That's the wheels.

It looks odd (a bit 'underwheeled') moreso because the car is an estate. Can't believe I didn't click before I took delivery earlier. :doh:

Estate may also have something to do with it. I know they like to put bigger more rubber on estates.

Estate may also have something to do with it. I know they like to put bigger more rubber on estates.

Did you get a yellow booklet with your car, all in German, stating data for the car? It looks to be VIN specific, ie specific to your actual car, not a general car manual.

I have one for my car and in section numbered 35 "Reifen" it lists these 17" wheels in that booklet.

So the car was factory built with 17s.

Boys boys all this over just one inch !!!

My sport CDi 250 Sport 61 plate has the 17 inch wheels - The ride is much better then the 18s

Better Co2 and lower tyre replacement costs

Our C220 Sport also arrived on 17" wheels. (not an Ed 125)

We bought an already built car and the wheel size wasn't specified.

I had assumed the car would come on 18" as standard but I was happy it arrived with the smaller ones. However the dealer did call me and ask if this was acceptable before we took delivery.

Had I ordered the car as a factory build I would have opted for 17" anyway for ride compliance and ease of obtaining winter tyres.

Dealer advised us they had run out of 18" wheels at the factory and were fitting 17" no cost options to non Ed125 models.

Here's ours:-

P1040896Noreg.jpg

The 17s are nice and the tyres cheaper. On a lease car this is not so important but as an owner, the 17s are nice, still big without being too dear on tyres. A C class is really too small a car for 18inch wheels.

I agree, 17s look just right on a C, whereas 18s look best on an E etc. :)

if you wanted 18s they will change them.not driving in it I would be out drifting, its a lease car drive it like you stole it (12 month lease i hope)

I know when i bought my car back in 2009, its a c220cdi sport estate and the 17s were standard and 18s were extra cost.

I reckon its the "estate factor"as someone has already said. My guess is that the C class Sport estate for the UK market is a bling'd up Avantgarde spec car. Of course such an animal doesn't exist for the UK market since MB UK prefer to sell us the "fullfat " Sport model and the Avantgarde trim doesn't exist :rolleyes: You can see how mistakes could happen for estates then. You are correct as per brochure the 7spoke AMG 18"[ 782] are supposedly the standard fit for the saloon and the 5 -twin spoke 17" [784] or 5-twin spoke 18" [786] are "options" - but there is worrying little reference to the sport estate spec in the brochure and price list.

New wheels will be fitted on Monday, prompt action taken by MB who recognise the error.

Very pleased with the speed it has been resolved (if I was skeptical I might feel that the swiftness of resolution had something to do with the dark cloud of a potential rejection!!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom