New C250 arrived...but wrong wheels fitted. Advice please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

texasjohn

Car
335i Vermillion Red
Hi everyone

My C250 CDI Sport arrived today on a transporter. When they dropped the car off I had a quick look around it and it looked fine; no paint scratches, MapPilot and Media Cables all present. I was most interested in ensuring the latter two items were in the car.

I noticed that it had the AMG twin spoke wheels which was odd because I hadn't specified those as an option but remember seeing them on the online configurator. Ok, I thought, they are still 18s per my desire (hence paying extra for a Sport).

For some reason they didn't look as good as the standard Sport wheels but I couldn't work out why initially. Drove a couple of miles to the petrol station and while there decided to first check tyre pressures. While doing this I got a closer look and the wheels / tyres are in fact 17s.

I don't know what to do now. Will MB change them? I didn't specify this option and it wasn't on the confirmation as a 'no cost option'. I am reluctant to drive the car although eager to do so obviously!

Anyone been in a similar situation? Any advice please?

By the fact that it arrived on a transporter I'm assuming that it's a lease car? If so, contact the lease company first thing tomorrow morning and ask them to get it sorted.

As an aside, a work colleague ordered a diesel Renault Scenic from Autolease and it was delivered, he checked it over for damage, signed the deleivery form and thought no more of it until he drove to the fuel station that evening to fill it up whereupon he realised that it was a petrol car! Autolease never really 'fessed up to the error, but they did order and supply another one for him that matched the spec he'd ordered.

Yes, it's a lease car, Arval.

There is no BIK advantage to having the 17s either, I have checked that online already (thought that the cloud might have a silver lining lol)

I should add that I am not looking to reject the car (unless lease co decides to do that with MB), just get the wheels swapped out.

Is your picture an unfortunate coincidence?

How's the ride? 18inch probably be firmer.

Ultimately if you ordered 18inch that's what it should have.

It is lol!

Good spot! It's actually because I joined some time ago to ask about the SLK55 which I never bought (got the Z4M instead).

Anyway, the ride funnily enough is ok but I had a C350 Sport demo over a weekend which had 18s and it was fine (I am used to 18 runflats on the 130i).

I chose from a stocklist which had all the options and colour of the cars listed.

I chose this car as it was a 250 Sport auto with HK (the two options I wanted) and a couple of other options (DAB, Privacy Glass, Heated Seats) which I didn't want but was prepared to pay for as it meant a quick delivery as the car was built and in UK.

There were other cars on the stocklist I chose from which specifically identified 17s (or twin spoke 18s) as 'No Cost Option' . The car I chose lacked any specific comment about wheels so should have come with the standard fit wheels.

Last edited:
It's slightly different but my lease car arrived without the Becker Nav fitted. I rang the lease company they confirmed it should be on it and arranged for MB direct to send it to me the next day. Hope this helps.

Time to go back to the dealer. If the car delivered differs from the car ordered then they are obliged to rectify the situation. If it is a misunderstanding ie you signed an order form for a vehicle with 17s but thought you were due 18s then you are reliant on dealer goodwill. Initially they will try and sell you 18s at list price which is roughly double the factory fit cost. They don't take wheels in as px as a rule.

Time to go back to the dealer. If the car delivered differs from the car ordered then they are obliged to rectify the situation. If it is a misunderstanding ie you signed an order form for a vehicle with 17s but thought you were due 18s then you are reliant on dealer goodwill. Initially they will try and sell you 18s at list price which is roughly double the factory fit cost. They don't take wheels in as px as a rule.

It's definately the former in this case, I have a signed order form with the spec list attached to it which does not include the option for 17s in the spec list.

The order I placed was on Arval, then Arval placed an order in turn onto MB.

So what's the verdict on driving the car until I speak with Arval tomorrow then everyone?

I'm thinking I shouldn't, despite that meaning I will need to take my own car to work (and should be in the office by 8am)...

When I ordered my car; it was a lease car through my company. The lease company sent me a confirmation of my order with all extras listed. Did yours do the same? If so does it mention 18" wheels? What are the standard size 17 or 18? If standard fitting is 17" and no mention was made of 18" on your order then they have delivered the correct spec. If your order specified 18" then they should arrange a correction.

Just drive it, they aren't going to punish you for using the car with the incorrect wheels on.

When I ordered my car; it was a lease car through my company. The lease company sent me a confirmation of my order with all extras listed. Did yours do the same? If so does it mention 18" wheels? What are the standard size 17 or 18? If standard fitting is 17" and no mention was made of 18" on your order then they have delivered the correct spec. If your order specified 18" then they should arrange a correction.

1. Yes, I got a confirmation with all options listed
2. It doesn't mention wheels at all
3. Standard size is 18"
4. The car has arrived with 17" which are a zero cost option. Not mentioned on MBs quote (to Arval) or Arval's confirmation (to me) as an option fitted to the car.

Have you got any paperwork that relates to the car having 18" wheels, how about the web site? screen shot of the spec etc.

You say you have confirmation but not about wheels, does it list nothing about the alloys? what size are standard c class sport alloys?

If 18" are standard size at zero cost if i just walked into the local merc garage and ordered one then 17's are wrong? just use the car and ring them tomorrow.

Have you got any paperwork that relates to the car having 18" wheels, how about the web site? screen shot of the spec etc.

You say you have confirmation but not about wheels, does it list nothing about the alloys? what size are standard c class sport alloys?

If 18" are standard size at zero cost if i just walked into the local merc garage and ordered one then 17's are wrong? just use the car and ring them tomorrow.

18s are standard, 17s are available as zero cost alternative, but an option you have to select.

I'm just worried they will say that I have put wear on the tyres if I use the car now that I have realised the issue.

Last edited:
Is the car an Edition 125?

Tell 'em you only noticed once you washed the car this weekend. In the meantime driver the mother and enjoy.

You have used the car?

so they are second hand in effect what ever, how many miles are you talking less than 100 ?

You have to use the car?? your paying for it !!

You have used the car?

so they are second hand in effect what ever, how many miles are you talking less than 100 ?

You have to use the car?? your paying for it !!

Yeah, it was delivered with 14 miles on the clock, now has about 18 (petrol station is two miles away).

4 extremely gentle miles too (no kickdown, no S mode on the gearbox) as I am 'running in' so to speak!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom