New C250 - running temp

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

reason42

Car
E250 Coupe 2014 facelift CDI AMG Sport Line
Hi all,

I'm new here. I bought a new C250 CDI Sport 125Edition - factory order. I got Auto Box 7G Plus, HK, DAB, Split Seats, Command Online (it was part of the 125 package), Pan roof, Iridium Silver, Heated Screen Wash, Factory Collect.

Love the car.

Just one thing on it - the running temp seems to be at 90C. The needle is between the 80 and 100 mark. This seems to be hotter than normal to me - I'm sure in my previous car, a BMW 320D, that it would be around 80C. Is this normal?

Sounds normal to me.

Perfectly normal.

I'm sure in my previous car, a BMW 320D, that it would be around 80C. Is this normal?

I don't know how MB do it, but BMW's don't show the actual temp - it's more of an "OK" indication which comes from the cars ECU and will stay the same over a wide range of engine temps. There's a hidden menu you can access which shows the actual temp.

How old was the car? I don't think the recent ones have temp gauges at all.

Last edited:
My 350CDI runs at exactly the same temperature so I assume absolutely normal.

I must admit other cars I have had run with the temperature gauge in the middle once warmed up whereas this runs a little above halfway. However, no issues with overheating so just one of those little oddities.

It seems a common misconception that people think cars should run at 80c.

Most thermostats that I have seen don't even fully open until around 87/88c or so.

80c or below is too cold, and I would think not good for the engine or fuel economy.

Okay, thanks for that everyone. I do find it strange that the needle is not in the centre but up more towards the top. Just takes a bit of getting used to I guess.

Okay, thanks for that everyone. I do find it strange that the needle is not in the centre but up more towards the top. Just takes a bit of getting used to I guess.

If it does get higher just check your hoses are tight & no coolant has been lost:thumb:

A lot of modern cars, VW for example have temp gauges that never go above half way, even when the fan cuts in, as if they are programmed to stay there, within normal operating temperature range, say 75-95. In older cars you could see the gauge rise and fall depending on conditions, I think the Merceses gauge is just reading the correct temp, which should be around 85-90, mine also reads 90 deg C

Wish my fuel gauge would stay on the half way mark. :D

Wish my fuel gauge would stay on the half way mark. :D

It will do if you fill it to 1/2 a tank & don't drive it:rolleyes::D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom