New C300h Hybrid Owner - no start/stop or electric even on Eco?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jaunty

Car
Mercedes C300h AMG Premium Plus Estate
Hi guys. First post. Just last night picked up a 1 year old C300h AMG Line Estate Premium Plus in Polar White with 19" 788 AMG wheels on non run flats :thumb:. Will stick some pics up when I figure out how. Coming from a Z4 so a bit of a change - but a big saving on BIK tax and a lovely a motor. And 3 and a half years of junk in the loft can now get taken down the tip haha.

First Question - On the 3 hour drive home (A roads, M25 then London suburbs) from the independent dealer, even with the battery up in the 70% area and in Eco Mode the car would not start/stop or use electric. I even turned the air con off to give it a hand. Music, Sat Nav and lights were all on but even so I thought in that situation it should cut in at the traffic lights. This morning I didn't drive the car but I did get in and start it. The battery was at 75% I think and the diesel came straight on. I thought it would start in Electric mode if I was stationary? Maybe a bit too soon to worry - but should I?! I can try and get it booked in to MB this weekend if i need to.

(PS For those W205 owners without the hybrid, you can't actually turn of ECO start/stop on these, so it is not that.)

Thanks for any thoughts.

Wouldnt worry about it. I had the same engine in an E Class for about 2 years and in the colder weather none of those functions will come on, it won't even start on Electric power.
Summer is a different story. Just enjoy the 'sailing' function when youre on a long journey and going down hill, and the power boost when you kick down and the electric and diesel motors combine!

Thanks. Will chill out and drive it for a while and get used to it and all the toys.

Next: try and figure out Autoassist Park or whatever it is called. Had the small P at the bottom of display but driving past spaces on my left no activity like when I test drove a different C300h. Will try again.

Sean.

Does one have to set the indicator to the left?

Doh yes I think you do. I had the USA info/videos swimming around in my head but of course they are right hand drive. Will report back! Thanks

Hi guys. First post. Just last night picked up a 1 year old C300h AMG Line Estate Premium Plus in Polar White with 19" 788 AMG wheels on non run flats :thumb:. Will stick some pics up when I figure out how. Coming from a Z4 so a bit of a change - but a big saving on BIK tax and a lovely a motor. And 3 and a half years of junk in the loft can now get taken down the tip haha.

First Question - On the 3 hour drive home (A roads, M25 then London suburbs) from the independent dealer, even with the battery up in the 70% area and in Eco Mode the car would not start/stop or use electric. I even turned the air con off to give it a hand. Music, Sat Nav and lights were all on but even so I thought in that situation it should cut in at the traffic lights. This morning I didn't drive the car but I did get in and start it. The battery was at 75% I think and the diesel came straight on. I thought it would start in Electric mode if I was stationary? Maybe a bit too soon to worry - but should I?! I can try and get it booked in to MB this weekend if i need to.

(PS For those W205 owners without the hybrid, you can't actually turn of ECO start/stop on these, so it is not that.)

Thanks for any thoughts.

Hi,welcome to the forum,doesn't sound like normal behaviour to me once the car is at normal temperature it should start in electric mode on subsequent starts throughout the day(sport and sport + will disable stop/start and electric mode),I drive mine in comfort mode and get 50mpg over a tank of mixed driving.

Hi,welcome to the forum,doesn't sound like normal behaviour to me once the car is at normal temperature it should start in electric mode on subsequent starts throughout the day(sport and sport + will disable stop/start and electric mode),I drive mine in comfort mode and get 50mpg over a tank of mixed driving.

Thanks, I'll give it a week and see how I get on. 2 more years of warranty left so no rush I guess.

Thanks, I'll give it a week and see how I get on. 2 more years of warranty left so no rush I guess.

Forgot to mention,mine had a jolt between low speed gear changes up and down in electric mode(in traffic) at 6 months old,this was corrected with a software update on the control module and the car has been seem less since(now 10 months old and just under 10k on the clock).

Forgot to mention,mine had a jolt between low speed gear changes up and down in electric mode(in traffic) at 6 months old,this was corrected with a software update on the control module and the car has been seem less since(now 10 months old and just under 10k on the clock).

Yes on the active park assist you need to have your indicator on in the direction you intend to park, go slowly past the space then engage reverse and follow the instructions....be brave it is fascinating!

Oh and a little arrow shows when it has found a space which the car will fit into!

Same here with my 300h loan car, in the warmer months would start on electric only, but now it's colder it always starts engine and once up to temp sitting in traffic etc the engine stops/starts/drives on electric, but as above I'm in comfort mode, never really use eco, occasionally sport where the electric motor provides assistance on acceleration only.

Just to mention I don't do many miles and haven't driven it again yet! I will come back and update in due course, thanks all.

I'm more impressed with my 300h than my c63. With motor and engine together the combined torque is very impressive and the motor fills in for the turbo lag really well

I'm more impressed with my 300h than my c63. With motor and engine together the combined torque is very impressive and the motor fills in for the turbo lag really well

Wow that is some comparison,I came from an A45amg into my c300 and agree the electric motor/torque make it an impresive performer but the A45 was an animal by comparison:D

Yes on the active park assist you need to have your indicator on in the direction you intend to park, go slowly past the space then engage reverse and follow the instructions....be brave it is fascinating!

Oh and a little arrow shows when it has found a space which the car will fit into!

Do you actually use it? I haven't even tried it, I would have preferred voice activated blue tooth to be standard. But I suppose MB know they can charge for the Bluetooth and how many would tick the box for the parking if the cost wasn't included in the price.:dk:

Anyone struggling to get more than 60ish% charge in the battery? Mine won't go much above that unless it gets a very long downhill with the brake pedal lightly pressed. And once it gets down to 44% it won't go on electric only

Anyone struggling to get more than 60ish% charge in the battery? Mine won't go much above that unless it gets a very long downhill with the brake pedal lightly pressed. And once it gets down to 44% it won't go on electric only

Well I have only had mine a week and haven't really had chance to give it a good run but did get to see 70% charged today and mine keeps using the electric only down to about 30%

Usually see mine in the 70's at some point daily....

Managed to get out for a drive today, battery up in 80% area and the stop/start still only kicked in I think ONCE on an hour and a half journey with plenty of chances to do so. Even dropped it from Comfort to Eco mode to encourage it, and turned the air con off.

Had one jolt as well around 2nd gear. And I can't get the outside temp to show, only the Km per hour. So, all in all, I think I need a software update.

In other news, figured out the Auto Park for parallel parking, good fun and could be handy whilst I transition from the Z4. Need to try reversing into a shopping mall space next with it.

Next MB test will be MB servicing, which I haven't read a lot of good things about so far I must say. My nearest is the service only centre at MB Stratford, East London. Wish me luck.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom