New C32 AMG owner - hi!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ndonaghy

Car
2002 S203 C32 ///AMG
Hello folks,

I acquired a new-to-me C32 AMG (May 2002) Estate in Tektite Grey, with 107k miles on her. She is essentially stock and running very sweetly.

The only things I've changed since purchase a month (and 1,000 miles) ago were to bin the Bose amp, speakers and Becker headunit and replace all of that with Focal/Pioneer components. I also ditched the factory Nokia phone kit and replaced with a Brodit active holder (new headunit has Bluetooth).

I'm pleased to report no rust issues, and the common faults in relation to this model and year, namely the Valeo radiator/transmission fluid cooler leak and the chargecooler pump failure, have been rectified by a previous owner; a new Nissens radiator and uprated Bosch pump have been installed. The front shocks were new in September, MOT had no advisories. :thumb:

Last week the crankshaft position sensor went faulty, which manifested as refusal to start (ie: 0 RPM reading, despite engine turning = ECU shuts down fuelling). This would only happen when the engine was at operating temperature. Left to cool for 15 minutes, it would start up again. £27 later, I installed a new Bosch sensor and have had no issues since.

What can I say, she's a Merc S203 with an AMG V6 kompressor, 18 valve SOHC, 354bhp / 332 ft. lbs beast under the bonnet, 155 mph dog bus!

I have a couple of things left to fix up:
- A few dabs of solder on the headrest motors
- Parking brake pedal assembly needs adjusted

The current rubber is okay - Michelin Primacy HP - but I'm looking forward to replacing all four corners with Yokohama Advan Sport V105s.

My previous car was a 1999 C240 (170 bhp) Sport estate. In many ways the same (practicality), yet in so many ways completely different.

So far I'm very impressed with the C32's power delivery, the quicker steering rack, the quicker gearbox, and the TC lockup from 2nd gear. The fuel economy is actually not much worse - it claims around 20mpg on short trips with a heavy foot, and it's not far off that. The C240 would get about 25mpg with a lot more screaming and a lot less shove.

I found the C240 very capable and a nice configuration for my needs (occasionally haul 4-5 people, haul 3 dogs daily, 6 cylinders, petrol).

Recently I've driven a 2007 E320 CDI Sport and an Audi TTS 2.0T; different cars with different characters, but each over 220bhp, and each with traction issues. The E320 turbo diesel is mated with a great 7-speed auto and at moderate throttle works well to deliver pace, but the torque is peaky and the turbo is laggy; it's difficult to find the sweet spot where you won't spin the rears. The TTS has a very urgent feel to its power delivery - the power band is wide, and there is minimal turbo lag, but I found it was also peaky. Despite being AWD it lights up the tyres much too easily; the power comes on too early, too hard (a step change), and coupled with twitchy handling, I found it was really hard work to drive even at 7/10ths.

What I want to say is they're both excellent cars, but their character does not suit me. I find the C32 has all that power and more, but it delivers it in usable fashion; from very early on the supercharger clutch locks up and you feel the pressure building; 1500rpm, you hear it working. From light to hard throttle the delivery is quite linear, and the springs are nicely judged to allow enough squat to get the traction you sorely need, and they're damped so that you don't feel you're in an M-sport or S-line ****breaker. :p

The rears definitely can be spun out in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th in the wet if you care to, but the amount of feathering required to maintain traction is small. It's a forgiving car. It's an easy car. It's accessible, lazy power, but makes all the right V6 and supercharger noises, and does so without waking the neighbours.

I frickin' love this dog shed. :D:D:D

Attachments

• mercedes-benz-c-class-c32-amg-S2595237-3.jpg
    mercedes-benz-c-class-c32-amg-S2595237-3.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 31
Welcome to the forum.
Glad you're enjoying your "dog shed":D
I love the Kompressor engines. So much low down torque.

So much low down torque.

Thank you for the welcome! I'd read a lot about the 'kompressor' torque but until I drove it I didn't quite realise how it felt. I must say I'm a supercharger convert!

Maybe after some new rubber, stiffer bars, and a full service in the Spring (including gearbox + TC fluid flush) I'll look at a modest new pulley and remap. I love the Q-car looks, and the looks of surprise in my rear-view mirror. Be seeing you! ;)

Very nice first post I hope your dog shed (sled!?) gives you many years of pleasure and service. Welcome!

Cool car! I've had mine nearly thirteen years now. Still see no reason to part with it. :cool:

Welcome and enjoy your new to you dog shed :) Lovely looking car and good to see you have bonded with it so well.

Welcome to the forum.

Great car. Great colour choice too! :thumb:

A mighty quick dog mobile friend

Nice choice. I miss mine :(

Congratulations on your new car :thumb:

Lsd.

I've found out about the Quaife ATB LSD now, so with the Eibach antiroll bars, this car is going to liberate me from another £2k, isn't it? Even at that, I don't see a better option under £10k with as much refinement, power, practicality and sleeper looks. It sure is a pleasure to be wafting around so effortlessly. :devil: :rock:

Thanks for all the welcomes folks. :D

Had mine since August. Absolutely love it. It's had the pulley & Eurocharged remap to give 406hp. It's absolutely brutal yet turns in to a docile limo if your gentle. Mine has the annoying "dash lights up & goes in to gearbox limp" every so often, but a restart or two & she's fine for another week. Oh, & you can't have wipers & indicate at the same time... :dk:

But the whole package of lovely looks, brutal power & lovely interior are making up for it at the mo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom