New C63 AMG Owner (125 Edition)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Naz11

Car
C63 AMG 125 Edition + LSD & GL63
Hi All,

I am new to this forum and happy to announce that I am now a proud owner of a C63 AMG 125 Edition (A long time coming) which I bought 4 weeks ago. I absolute love this car from the moment you turn the key, its a very muscular car with an awesome exhaust note :D My previous car was an E90 M3 V8 which I did like but my heart was always sent on one of these and now I have it! One thing I will say is that the DCT gearbox in the M3 especially in manual mode is much faster and crisper than the AMG but I did expect this reading on the forums and owner reviews. The Spec on my car is as follows:

C63 AMG 125 Edition 2011
Dark Metallic Blue
Tan Leather Interior
Electric Driver + Passenger seats with memory
Electric Sunroof
Electric steering adjust with memory
Logic 7 Entertainment system
Bi-Xenon headlights
and I guess the rest is factory....

One thing which I wanted to ask the experts on the forum, I have noticed that the cooling fans are very quick to come and will come on during a 2-3 minute interval cycle (not exact figures but more frequent than I would have expected). Is this due to the massive engine and is to be expected? the reason for the question I did not notice this on the M3 particularity unless I have really driven it hard. So any info on this will be greatly appreciated.

I am looking forward to learning off you seasoned owners as I get used the beast.

Regards
Naz

Not sure on standard but my supercharged c63 they are set on constant

Thanks Gasman, so they are not on constantly....I would say they come on every 1-2 mins or so even if you are driving gently.

Naz11 said:
Thanks Gasman, so they are not on constantly....I would say they come on every 1-2 mins or so even if you are driving gently.

They should 100% not be coming on that frequently, I have owned a few and they never done that get your car checked.

Congrats on the car - how does it compare to the M3 running cost wise? similar i assume?

My cooling fans didn't tend to come on until the engine oil temp gets to around 116c I think, but all other times they are off. My engine doesn't get too hot too often, only after repeated periods of gunning it but then again, that has a lot to do with the outside air temp too. This hasn't changed after I had the headers installed or the tune.

This has always been an issue with the facelifted/coupe C63 as the bumper design doesn't allow for the best cooling, coupled with a big engine in a small space it was never going to run cool. The pre-facelift didn't suffer so much I don't think, but MB do a ugraded cooling package (not sure on price), and a 507/Black Series bonnet helps too.

What you are experiencing though doesn't sound normal if they literally are coming on every 2min, all the time.

Last edited:
One thing which I wanted to ask the experts on the forum, I have noticed that the cooling fans are very quick to come and will come on during a 2-3 minute interval cycle (not exact figures but more frequent than I would have expected). Is this due to the massive engine and is to be expected? the reason for the question I did not notice this on the M3 particularity unless I have really driven it hard. So any info on this will be greatly appreciated.
I test drove a C63 recently for about an hour. Ambient temperature was quite high and the car was already warmed up when I set off. I tested its capabilities quite extensively in that time and the fans only came on towards the very end of the drive.

The set point for the fans may well have been altered as weistec suggest constant with the stage 2 conversion
But def get it checked...was it a dealer or private sale
I have the black series bumper and bigger openings in the bumper but fans still need to run constantly

gasman2 said:
The set point for the fans may well have been altered as weistec suggest constant with the stage 2 conversion But def get it checked...was it a dealer or private sale I have the black series bumper and bigger openings in the bumper but fans still need to run constantly

The c63 Bs has 50% additional cooling over non Bs cars, I am quite sure the Msl c63 Bs has no additional cooling.

Fans shouldn't be engaging that frequently have it checked out

The c63 Bs has 50% additional cooling over non Bs cars, I am quite sure the Msl c63 Bs has no additional cooling.[/QUOTE

Its not additional cooling but because u are plonking a intercooler infront of your rads then running u fans is to counteract this
The black series has additional oil coolant capacity but the water temp is what activates the fans and reducing airflow to your rads needs to be compensated for in one way or another.the black series rad is no different to a c63 rad

My cooling fans didn't tend to come on until the engine oil temp gets to around 116c I think, but all other times they are off. My engine doesn't get too hot too often, only after repeated periods of gunning it but then again, that has a lot to do with the outside air temp too. This hasn't changed after I had the headers installed or the tune.

This has always been an issue with the facelifted/coupe C63 as the bumper design doesn't allow for the best cooling, coupled with a big engine in a small space it was never going to run cool. The pre-facelift didn't suffer so much I don't think, but MB do a ugraded cooling package (not sure on price), and a 507/Black Series bonnet helps too.

What you are experiencing though doesn't sound normal if they literally are coming on every 2min, all the time.

I will pay a closer eye on the intervals, and if that is the case then as suggested by the guys will get this checked out!

The set point for the fans may well have been altered as weistec suggest constant with the stage 2 conversion
But def get it checked...was it a dealer or private sale
I have the black series bumper and bigger openings in the bumper but fans still need to run constantly

It was a private sale.

Congrats on the car - how does it compare to the M3 running cost wise? similar i assume?

Running cost wise I need to drive it a bit more to really give an accurate figure but so far it seems to be on par with the M3

Just to provide you all with an update, I took the car to MB Greenoaks in Slough to check the cooling fans and it turns out I was just being paranoid. No issues, fans are coming on when needed all good . Whilst the car was in the dealers I also got the gearbox oil and filter changed also they updated the software on the auto box. Hopefully this should mean happy and stress free motoring!

Naz11 said:
Just to provide you all with an update, I took the car to MB Greenoaks in Slough to check the cooling fans and it turns out I was just being paranoid. No issues, fans are coming on when needed all good dde0a. Whilst the car was in the dealers I also got the gearbox oil and filter changed also they updated the software on the auto box. Hopefully this should mean happy and stress free motoring!

Did they say it's normal for the fans to switch on/off every 2/3 minutes like you said they do ?

It shouldn't be in my experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom