New c63 owner, broken already!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jame5

Car
RRS
I bought myself a new toy Wednesday night, a 58 plate c63 estate. By Thursday morning (200 miles) it had used a litre of coolant. It's just been recovered to Mercedes Bristol (not the supplying garage).

Anyway, I was really enjoying myself! Hope it's back soon! It replaced a tdv8 Range Rover sport so I'm used to this stuff happening!

That's not good :(

Have they indicated what it could be and do you have a warranty with it?

Are you aware of the head bolt issue - and if not you'd better sit down...

200 miles in one night and you've cooked it, how many tanks of fuel was that? :D

Hope it's nothing serious.

Ah, I see that you are aware.

One of the symptoms of headbolt failure is coolant loss (into the bore).

I do hope it's something less serious - a hose clip or the like.

I was fully aware of the issue. I had enough £ for a facelift then i had a change of heart last minute. I viewed a lot of rough ones and this pre-facelift looked OK. The supplying garage told me to send it to my local merc and they will pick up the bill. Very good so far!

When running the car on the driveway I had the odd wiff of coolant. No visible signs of coolant loss. I topped it up and drove 5 miles and got the same message of the dash to top up coolant and lost maybe 0.5 litre in those 5 miles. This morning the AA took it and there was a small damp patch on the drive. Just waiting on Bristol to call me in the next few days I guess. If it's the head bolts I guess I'll have it done free of charge. If it's not the bolts I will get it to MSL before the warranty is up.

The supplying garage told me to send it to my local merc and they will pick up the bill. Very good so far!

Let's hope they also know of the potential issue and don't just think they are paying for a basic leak to be fixed.

The bill on my M156 under MB Tier One warranty was £6K, though that did cover replacement cam chain tensioner work too.

Keep us posted :thumb:.

If it was the worst case scenario what choices do they have legally? They can't just say "it's too expensive, you're on your own?" I guess they can refund but I part ex'd my car in and the c63 still needs repairing. The car did come from a Stratstone of another large car manufacturer. I don't want to name names but they've rang me this morning to see if I got it to my local Merc dealer so all seems good so far.

I am sure they have some kind of warranty in place to cover their backs so you should be good.

Just as I was reading this thread I've had a call from Bristol. They suspect head bolts. Down to Stratstone to authorise the paid.

Having read this and never having previously been aware of the head bolt issue, I am wondering if I may have had a lucky escape with my 2010 C63 which had done about 63k miles when I part-exed it last month.

I guess there's no way for me to retrospectively check if the engine would have been one of the "at risk" ones, but £6k to fix it, and no warranty? Phew...

Bristol are currently quoting £3k to fix. The supplying garage are good. They couldn't apologise enough. Very lucky this didn't happen in a year or 18 months. Can't wait to get the car back now.

Having read this and never having previously been aware of the head bolt issue, I am wondering if I may have had a lucky escape with my 2010 C63 which had done about 63k miles when I part-exed it last month.

I guess there's no way for me to retrospectively check if the engine would have been one of the "at risk" ones, but £6k to fix it, and no warranty? Phew...

I think you would have been fine as by 2010 the bolts were no longer a part issue. I think it was 08 to 59 that had the problems.

Did oh buy the car from a private dealer or MB dealership ?

Ah - good support then ! That's u lucky but at least you know it'll be addressed with updated part numbers !

What's the spec of your car ?

It's very basic. I wanted 18s but it has 19s. When it's repaired I will get it Eurocharged. I saw a few rough cars and as I wanted an estate and have been looking for a while I bought on condition rather than spec.

I've been loooking to - its hard to find spec and condition in one without paying top dollar

I think you would have been fine as by 2010 the bolts were no longer a part issue. I think it was 08 to 59 that had the problems.

The modified head bolt was introduced at engine number ending in 60658.

Mine was a 2010 and had the old bolts.

I've been loooking to - its hard to find spec and condition in one without paying top dollar

What spec are you looking for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom