New C63 owner / few questions please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jamesyc63

Car
C63
Hi guys just bought my first C63. 2013 with a remap to an estimated 530hp.

What an amazing machine, absolutely love it.

Few questions (i didnt buy it for economy but still want to ask!!);

1. Onboard computer saying 19-20mpg, but i got 90 miles from £40 = 13.5mpg. How can this vary so much? 13.5mpg sounds horrendous.

2. Will a remapped C63 be better on fuel as mapped or worse as its more powerful?

3. The steering column in and out but not up and down, any ideas how to free it up?

4. The handbrake got stuck on day 2. Put pedel down but lever wouldnt release it. After 5 mins trying and pushing pedal while pulling lever it came good. Is there a fix for this?

5. Does it matter if you run on 95 or 99 ron, or should you alternate between fill ups?

6. Dealership said was mapped but no print out or reciept. Should i get it mapped again but a company i know well or leave as it is? 13.5mpg is this down to a bad map?

Thanks a lot

Welcome to the forum Jamesy:thumb:
13.5 mpg isn't out of the ordinary for a C63 dependant on the conditions. In stop start town traffic you may see even less, on a run you can see up to 30mpg with a light right foot.
The onboard computer is not to be relied upon, especially checking how many miles worth of fuel remains.
Remapping a C63 allows the throttle to be opened 100% so I would expect slightly less mpg.
Use Shell V Power or Tesco Momentum super unleaded in your AMG, not 95Ron.

I would want to see visit a known tuner of AMG's and have the map checked on a dyno to see where its at and if it needs adjusting.
I'd recommend MSL Performance every time although its a slog up to Birmingham its worth it.

The footbrake probably needs adjustment/lubrication and maybe sticking through lack of use. Some owners never use it and just leave the car in Park.
Your handbook should give you the info on Steering column adjustment.

Welcome to the forum Jamesy:thumb:
13.5 mpg isn't out of the ordinary for a C63 dependant on the conditions. In stop start town traffic you may see even less, on a run you can see up to 30mpg with a light right foot.
The onboard computer is not to be relied upon, especially checking how many miles worth of fuel remains.
Remapping a C63 allows the throttle to be opened 100% so I would expect slightly less mpg.
Use Shell V Power or Tesco Momentum super unleaded in your AMG, not 95Ron.

I would want to see visit a known tuner of AMG's and have the map checked on a dyno to see where its at and if it needs adjusting.
I'd recommend MSL Performance every time although its a slog up to Birmingham its worth it.

The footbrake probably needs adjustment/lubrication and maybe sticking through lack of use. Some owners never use it and just leave the car in Park.
Your handbook should give you the info on Steering column adjustment.

Hey mate thanks for the welcome and info.

One of my best friends does a lot of very high performance builds and mapping so i think i may get him todo a new map on it (plus some pops n bangs!!!).

I just get a feeling maybe current remap just not the best hence tiny mpg!!

Maybe for the small amount to map again may wel be worth it .....

I recall on an AMG Driveday I did a few years ago the 6.2L cars were showing about 8 mpg. The cars were either being hammered, or parked up idling, for hours on end. This is not to far worse than the 13 mpg you saw in “normal” driving. Given you say the “handbrake” is getting stuck you have to wonder if it is out of adjustment/not releasing and thus adversely affecting fuel consumption (and performance). I would get this sorted first before you do anything to the tune.

I get an average 14mpg in town so your 13ish is probably the norm

I also have the sticky handbrake but it’s only when the temp drops below zero

You could try libricating it. I also believe under the rear seats is a mechanism that basically goes from the one wire And splits to two for the handbrake

I am yet to remove my rear sets to see if this part needs lubricated but might get to it this weekend

Also if you open the petrol cap it tells you what Ron to use, believe the minimum is 97

Steve

1.) There are two trip computers. The first you scroll up to from the speedo is from reset and only resets if you do it manually. The last owner must have not reset if for a long time and driven gently so it shows 19-20mpg. The second reading says from start and that starts afresh automatically each time you drive the car, although with a break of less than a few hours before the next drive it doesn't reset.

I have consistently found the onboard computer to be around 1mpg optimistic but otherwise reliable. When you start driving the from start figure is always just over 20mpg and that usually then falls quickly.

13.5mpg is either a lot of stop/start driving or quite a lot of use of the power. I can get 15mpg on a fairly spirited cross country run. I actually daily mine over 30 miles each way, with a third each of A-Road (with overtakes), motorway and city. I get 18-21mpg on average, ususally it's 19.something.

2.) Only worse if you use the power, otherwise the same. The vast majority of the extra fuel is used over 5krpm as this is where the standard throttle restriction limits power. By letting the throttle open fully it can then add more power with more fuel at higher revs.

3.) Never seen a problem with the electric steering column. You do know the little stalk goes back/forwards and up/down?

4.) Mine does this too and it's either going to be the cables or quite possibly the clock spring within the pedal. When it gets cold the metal shrinks and the lubrication has long since worn off so it won't unwind so easily.

5.) It will run on 95 but you really ought to use super all the time. It will pull timing to run 95 and the additives usually aren't as good as super. Don't skimp.

6.) Most remaps are very similar, I wouldn't bother remapping it. 13.5mpg is normal!

13.5mpg is about right for city driving. Average about 17-18mpg

99ron all day long. You will feel the difference after a while of filling up with normal 95ron.

Pops and bangs map is not recommended if you still have primary cats in. No points as the cats restrict the pops and bangs. The map will be forcing a lot of overrun, causing the car to be very jerky.

Hi guys thanks so much for all the replies.

I have been driving it ridiculously slowly just to test the MPG, like foot hardly on the accelerator and on cruise at 70mph and its doing £40 for 90 miles - i thought it would be around that when driving pretty quick and enjoying myself, not driving like miss daisy!!! My trip currently says 24mpg, but actual is 13!!

I have noticed when im stationery and put into drive and lift off brake there is sometimes a small judder as the car pulls away at 1-2 mph, is this maybe a sign the brake is sticky or is it normal?

sorry for all the questions, just been a dream car to own for a while now and i want to get my head around all the bits of owning it!!!!

1.) There are two trip computers. The first you scroll up to from the speedo is from reset and only resets if you do it manually. The last owner must have not reset if for a long time and driven gently so it shows 19-20mpg. The second reading says from start and that starts afresh automatically each time you drive the car, although with a break of less than a few hours before the next drive it doesn't reset.

I have consistently found the onboard computer to be around 1mpg optimistic but otherwise reliable. When you start driving the from start figure is always just over 20mpg and that usually then falls quickly.

13.5mpg is either a lot of stop/start driving or quite a lot of use of the power. I can get 15mpg on a fairly spirited cross country run. I actually daily mine over 30 miles each way, with a third each of A-Road (with overtakes), motorway and city. I get 18-21mpg on average, ususally it's 19.something.

2.) Only worse if you use the power, otherwise the same. The vast majority of the extra fuel is used over 5krpm as this is where the standard throttle restriction limits power. By letting the throttle open fully it can then add more power with more fuel at higher revs.

3.) Never seen a problem with the electric steering column. You do know the little stalk goes back/forwards and up/down?

4.) Mine does this too and it's either going to be the cables or quite possibly the clock spring within the pedal. When it gets cold the metal shrinks and the lubrication has long since worn off so it won't unwind so easily.

5.) It will run on 95 but you really ought to use super all the time. It will pull timing to run 95 and the additives usually aren't as good as super. Don't skimp.

6.) Most remaps are very similar, I wouldn't bother remapping it. 13.5mpg is normal!

Mate thanks for the info.

Yeah steering coloumn goes in and out but when u go up or down it clicks but doesnt move.

My 13.5mpg is literally pottering around like an old granny. cant be right - maybe the remap is not very good and using too much fuel?

i have just stopped using handbrake now and leave it in Park!!

I normally average 16mpg with normal driving so depending how stop start you are it could be right.
Most maps are pretty generic and will open up the throttle to 100% unless your putting long tube headers on the most you would see is 520-530bhp......anyone says more on a N/a car is either fiddling the dyno (easy to do) or just talking waffle.
I would get the judder checked out though as I doubt it's the handbrake....I have pulled away with mine on many times due to forgetting I have put it on and it's only when it starts beeping I realise that it's still on.

You can get a small judder if you're on the throttle before the clutches have engaged, sounds normal to be honest. It's quite slow to engage drive in C, a bit quicker in the other modes.

24mpg sounds right for steady 70mph driving but if you're really getting a lot less then something isn't right. Could even be a fuel leak? The fuel being injected must be measured somehow giving the trip reading but if you're losing fuel before the engine that won't be measured.

For the steering movement it could be a fuse or one of the motors has blown but it's not something I've heard from others.

You can get a small judder if you're on the throttle before the clutches have engaged, sounds normal to be honest. It's quite slow to engage drive in C, a bit quicker in the other modes.

24mpg sounds right for steady 70mph driving but if you're really getting a lot less then something isn't right. Could even be a fuel leak? The fuel being injected must be measured somehow giving the trip reading but if you're losing fuel before the engine that won't be measured.

For the steering movement it could be a fuse or one of the motors has blown but it's not something I've heard from others.

Thanks. I was thinking fuel leak. I literally driven last couple days under 3k revs and bang on 70 on motorway and i cant get above 14mpg. Im only doing 25min journey half motorway half town centre. Computer now reading 24.6mpg showing how slow i’ve been taking it. Cant be right even for this engine

Is there a way to check for fuel leak?

As for the judder ive been in C mode. Its when you’re at traffic and just let off the brake pedal in drive and dont apply throttle it judders slightly around 2-3mph.

Hmm, shouldn't really judder. Mine is smooth 99% of the time in the scenario you describe.

It's not right for this engine. I'm not a mechanic but probably best to get the car up on a ramp and follow the fuel lines, sniffing as you go!

13.5mpg is about right for city driving. Average about 17-18mpg

99ron all day long. You will feel the difference after a while of filling up with normal 95ron.

Pops and bangs map is not recommended if you still have primary cats in. No points as the cats restrict the pops and bangs. The map will be forcing a lot of overrun, causing the car to be very jerky.

Interesting about pops and bangs. Mine does it already a bit. It has a sports exhaust fitted (very loud especially on start up) so id have to see what cats are still in the system now.

Hmm, shouldn't really judder. Mine is smooth 99% of the time in the scenario you describe.

It's not right for this engine. I'm not a mechanic but probably best to get the car up on a ramp and follow the fuel lines, sniffing as you go!

Ok thanks mate. Always a worry when you buy a high performance car that everythings ok with it. Will have to ask a mechanic to check out the little low speed judder from stationery in that case and hope all is ok!!!

The economy doesnt bother me too much otherwise i would have bought another car

But im struggling to understand the trip saying 24mpg and the actual useage being 13-14mpg.

24mpg is definitely achievable on a steady motorway run. If it was brakes rubbing then the trip computer would also show 13mpg. Fuel seems to be going elsewhere.

24mpg is definitely achievable on a steady motorway run. If it was brakes rubbing then the trip computer would also show 13mpg. Fuel seems to be going elsewhere.

Cheers mate. Cant smell any fuel in car but def need someone to check it

Ive noticed the judder from stationery doesnt happen in Sport mode, only Comfort

That's because Controlled Efficiency (C) starts in 2nd gear so there's more slipping the clutches to get going than all the other modes where it starts in 1st gear.

When it's stone cold it starts in 2nd gear in S, S+ & M but it very quickly reverts back to 1st gear, long before the engine fully warms up.

It could mean the clutch plates are worn...? There is a gearbox software update you can get done, cost me £50 at an independent garage. That might help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom