New C63 steering wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRC

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
C63
F2D79BCD-EB62-4ED9-9667-014C35D1AE24.jpeg 89B1F51A-B09B-44EE-A841-F04180A46CE1.jpeg

MB York have a facelift C63S in the showroom and had a good look around it today. Lots to like , Panamericana grill looks good IMHO , new alloys look great, liked the digital dash , BUT! What have they done to the steering wheel? Two of the cheapest, tackiest buttons stuck on the bottom, which felt they would snap off , or fall off , in a matter of weeks. Think they are for driving mode , exhaust , suspension settings etc. The photo doesn’t reflect how cheap these actually look and feel like on the car. On a £30k car They would be disappointing , on one costing circa £90k they are woeful :eek:

Called next door at Audi and had a look at the steering wheel on the R8 which is in a totally different league. It looks and feels like a quality item built to last and befitting a premium car.

The rest of the C63 steering wheel looks and feels great , these add ons look like a lash up :mad:

63 or not it's still a c-class.

Sent from my H8116 using Tapatalk

It’s an AMG premium product, C Class or any class , these just feel cheap and nasty.
They still need to compete with the cheap American muscle cars but I would rather get one of those instead

Sent from my H8116 using Tapatalk

What's far more unforgivable is that the new wheel isn't very nice to hold compared to the previous one.

They are 2 screens, one per side which shows what setting you have toggled.

You cant compare a C-Class steering wheel to an R8s.

Sorry R8 was a bad example, how about a TTRS, additional buttons feel same quality as the R8 (because they are) and you can get a TTRS Starting at £50k.

6543AF9B-630A-4A1F-AC4F-90187E1C56DC.jpeg

To be honest - I think both look tacky and trying too hard. However, I do wish the drive (mode) select was on my steering and not in the centre console next to the gear select lever where I have to take my eyes off the road to find it.

I constantly change drive modes depending on the road I'm on e.g. C for motorways, S or S+ windy roads etc.

There was lots to like about the C63, and sitting behind the wheel it feels very classy. Unfortunately one of the main contact points you have with the car felt awful compared with everything else. Had MB made these controls out of metal and they had a more “substantial” feel I would have been very happy. Unfortunately they feel like the cheap plastic remote control fob for my garage door. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom