New Camera Digital SLR Pentax K20D

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tudu

MB Enthusiast
Car
05 C200K Sport Edition (Kleemann)
Tried out my new camera over the weekend, seems quite easy to use although i am not a professional, i am still learning. I have attached some pics taken in manual settings, and would welcome any comments.

ScoutsHutLectureHall.jpg

PrintingShopSideView2.jpg

PrintingShop2.jpg

HarpendenOvalChurchFlowers.jpg

HarpendenOvalChrch2.jpg

AdminBlockPorch1.jpg

AdminBlock3.jpg

First tip - take photos of your lovely cars!

Second tip - I know nothing about camera but the shots look like they have all been taken through a top gear lens (very gray).

Good start though mate!

Thanks, pics of cars to come later when weather gets a bit better.

It seems to me like you have got it although another half stop or so of exposure may not hurt. You can fix this in Photoshop, Elements or other processor though.
Fill the frame - you got it, include foreground - you got it. Composition - not classical but it works for what you have done.
I constantly hear of the K20D getting good comemnts but i don't know it but push it to the limits. Have you tried, can it do auto exposure with your lens?

Two tips...

Rule of thirds - understand how this works, then you can work on throwing it away as you get a better understanding of what's going on in the image.

Control depth of field - small aperture (big f number) = everything in focus; large aperture (small f number) = selective area of focus. Being able to manipulate this means you can fill the frame with stuff but still draw the viewer on what you direct them too.

Just keep at it - and viewing other photos too - and it'll click together.

Second tip - I know nothing about camera but the shots look like they have all been taken through a top gear lens (very gray).

Top Gear use graduated filters (going from clear to some shade across the filter - usually bottom clear to top shaded). Or they do the equivalent effect using processing.

What lens and setting did you use?

I have 2 lenses Pentax 18-55 and 50-135

The pictures were taken at the following settings:

1. 1/125 @ F8.0
2. 1/90 @ F8.0
3. 1/180 @ F5.6
4. 1/90 @ F5.6
5. 1/125 @ F8.0
6. 1/125 @F8.0
7 1/125 @ F8.0

I used the 18-55 lens for all the pictures. Still got to try the 135.

Two tips...

Rule of thirds - understand how this works, then you can work on throwing it away as you get a better understanding of what's going on in the image.

Control depth of field - small aperture (big f number) = everything in focus; large aperture (small f number) = selective area of focus. Being able to manipulate this means you can fill the frame with stuff but still draw the viewer on what you direct them too.

Just keep at it - and viewing other photos too - and it'll click together.

Many thanks. 30 other pics i took were either too dark or over exposed. I really don't like using the program settings as i did on my previous Canon, but want to get used to manually setting everything myself. I am out on Dartmoor later in the week so hope the weather's fair so i can take some more shots.

It seems to me like you have got it although another half stop or so of exposure may not hurt. You can fix this in Photoshop, Elements or other processor though.
Fill the frame - you got it, include foreground - you got it. Composition - not classical but it works for what you have done.
I constantly hear of the K20D getting good comemnts but i don't know it but push it to the limits. Have you tried, can it do auto exposure with your lens?

Thanks. I am trying to stay clear of using the program modes but rely on manual settings. The K20D has Hyper program sets shutter speed and aperture to proper exposure, and SV sensitivity priority which again auto sets shutter speed and aperture to proper exposure. Am i right in saying that by doing everything manually i am able to learn more about the camera.

I love the Pentax cameras, they're absolutely fantastic! I left my K10D in the rain one night, totally forgot it! The afternoon after I went to pick it up, and thanks to their millions of o-rings and seals, all it needed was a wipe-down :D

I think regarding your pictures the other's are much more experienced than me - but congrats on your camera choice; welcome to the underground ;)

M.

Thanks. I am trying to stay clear of using the program modes but rely on manual settings. The K20D has Hyper program sets shutter speed and aperture to proper exposure, and SV sensitivity priority which again auto sets shutter speed and aperture to proper exposure. Am i right in saying that by doing everything manually i am able to learn more about the camera.
By doing things manually you are learning more about photography. The aperture, speed and depth of field are all related and all impact the image enormously.
When we look through the viewfinder we mostly concentrate on the major part of the image and when we see what is produced we are sometimes disappointed. One tip is to squint your eyes and the picture is reduced to its basic shape and you get a much better idea of composition. There are hundreds of excellent sites that you can use for reference.
This site http://www.photozone.de/active/news/index.jsp has some good comments on composition.

By doing things manually you are learning more about photography. The aperture, speed and depth of field are all related and all impact the image enormously.
When we look through the viewfinder we mostly concentrate on the major part of the image and when we see what is produced we are sometimes disappointed. One tip is to squint your eyes and the picture is reduced to its basic shape and you get a much better idea of composition. There are hundreds of excellent sites that you can use for reference.
This site http://www.photozone.de/active/news/index.jsp has some good comments on composition.

Many thanks for that site will have a good look around when i get some time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom