New car 1993 190e

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KNU7S

Car
1991 R129 500SL Mercedes, 2002 ML270cdi, 2004 Freelander
Morning all not been on here for a long time, after many years of newer Mercedes ownership I bought the wife this for her birthday

Attachments

• 7F903F20-316B-4D33-BCC1-8F38E62E093A.jpeg
    7F903F20-316B-4D33-BCC1-8F38E62E093A.jpeg
    904.6 KB · Views: 67
  • E0D2CDFC-E636-4B18-A1E9-63FD56262835.jpeg
    E0D2CDFC-E636-4B18-A1E9-63FD56262835.jpeg
    861.4 KB · Views: 65
Congratulations. Looks like a very clean car.
Thanks, it is very clean and apart from the wheels it is very original

I have bought a set of original alloys to put on.

Good, those look like BBS RS. If so, they will sell easily.
No they are are replicas unfortunately

Morning all not been on here for a long time, after many years of newer Mercedes ownership I bought the wife this for her birthday
Very nice . Was that on eBay , sold by a member on here HU ... something ?

Very nice . Was that on eBay , sold by a member on here HU ... something ?
It popped up on facebook and was 10 miles up the road, very lucky as only just started looking for one!

Reactions: 219
It's a bit low on the front I think it has had the wrong springs fitted at some stage, also the blower motor is not working (presumed seized as it blows fuses) and the radio is rubbish! but quite please overall

very nice car! Love the period Telecom Cellular hand unit!!! Not seen one of those in a while... I had a '92 Peugeot 405 STDT that I bought off a company director at 3 years old with 90k on the clock and it had the exact same handset fitted.

very nice car! Love the period Telecom Cellular hand unit!!! Not seen one of those in a while... I had a '92 Peugeot 405 STDT that I bought off a company director at 3 years old with 90k on the clock and it had the exact same handset fitted.
It was the main reason for buying it!, the kids love the phone and the youngest asked what the curly wire was for?

Very nice.

Is it a 2.0 or a 1.8?

If it is a bit low at the front might be wise to look at the front lower ball joints & top mounts as well as the springs.

w201's look really nice in black.

Very nice.

Is it a 2.0 or a 1.8?

If it is a bit low at the front might be wise to look at the front lower ball joints & top mounts as well as the springs.

w201's look really nice in black.
2.0 I think in the history the springs were replaced, so will start there but thanks for the advice

I must also finish my other project

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: 219
It's a bit low on the front I think it has had the wrong springs fitted at some stage, also the blower motor is not working (presumed seized as it blows fuses) and the radio is rubbish! but quite please overall
Worth taking the cover off and see if you can turn the motor by hand , even if stiff . Spray in some penetrating oil ( plus gas or similar , not WD40 ) and see if it will free up , if you can get it turning , you can spray lubricant in and get it working . It is a common problem , but I've freed off motors in the past . Eurocarparts do have aftermarket replacements The other thing that sometimes fails is the resistor pack located behind the battery , esp if the fan is seized it can burn out for one speed or another - just follow the wire from the motor to find it .

Worth taking the cover off and see if you can turn the motor by hand , even if stiff . Spray in some penetrating oil ( plus gas or similar , not WD40 ) and see if it will free up , if you can get it turning , you can spray lubricant in and get it working . It is a common problem , but I've freed off motors in the past . Eurocarparts do have aftermarket replacements The other thing that sometimes fails is the resistor pack located behind the battery , esp if the fan is seized it can burn out for one speed or another - just follow the wire from the motor to find it .

I replaced the fuse and it blew, so ordered a new motor £30! will keep the old one, I do remember this happening on my 1983 Opel manta and I took it off and freed it up and used Duck Oil. I know the motor I have bought is a cheep and will probably only last a few years but I will keep the original and referb.

I drove cross country from Gloucester to Cambridge yesterday 370 miles, 1/2 a tank of fuel (no idea of the mpg) found the rear light seals are letting in water (not too much) but I think the rear window seal is letting in water so may have to replace the seal.

I replaced the fuse and it blew, so ordered a new motor £30! will keep the old one, I do remember this happening on my 1983 Opel manta and I took it off and freed it up and used Duck Oil. I know the motor I have bought is a cheep and will probably only last a few years but I will keep the original and referb.

I drove cross country from Gloucester to Cambridge yesterday 370 miles, 1/2 a tank of fuel (no idea of the mpg) found the rear light seals are letting in water (not too much) but I think the rear window seal is letting in water so may have to replace the seal.
If the rear window seal is leaking into the boot you might consider looking in the boot around the parcel shelf area. It is not unknown for this area to be rotten in a w201 sadly.

If the rear window seal is leaking into the boot you might consider looking in the boot around the parcel shelf area. It is not unknown for this area to be rotten in a w201 sadly.
Found a small spot of rust where it leaks in hopefully a new seal will fix that but will treat any issues before its refitted

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom