New car. 2003 S600

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Find myself loving the S600 now. The E55K was a very hard act to follow, and it was exciting to get in and drive every time. At first I found the S600 less involving, and it is because it is so cosseting, but I have been increasingly impressed with it's competence as well as it's refinement.I suppose the tipping point was a very steep and fairly short hill near me called Winnats Pass. I often go up it at around 1am when there is no other traffic around. I test my cars on it when I get them, as a comparative. I had a BMW 545i which touched 60 before braking for the bend at the top, my E55K topped 70. The S600 touched 90. Respect!

I have no problem with LPG and have had Lpg vehicles in the past. your right it does run hotter so make sure cooling is spot on and correct amount of coolant mix in water. likes to eat spark plugs too so platinum plugs solve that issue. When i had my last one a 3.2v6 i took it to autogas to be tuned and it did make a difference as they adjust the fuelling over the entire rev range and load on a rolling road. LPG has moved on a long way since inverted cooker rings, regulators icing up and sinking valves on engines designed for leaded fuels lol.

(Cough) Public website available to all. Obviously we all drive strictly in accordance to the European National speed limits.

Good luck with the car, as I've said before. They're fabulous motors.

I'm still unconvinced about adding heat to an engine which already eats coil packs at a grand a pop, as well as 24 spark plugs, but "it's not about me."

There definitely should be space in the motoring world for a powerful discreet, luxurious car, with all the trimmings, as purchased by the very wealthy.

This fashion for loud engines and exhausts in cars, which get overtaken by quiet Astra Vans, is best left to those who need the noise.

Last edited:
Good luck with the car, as I've said before. They're fabulous motors.

I'm still unconvinced about adding heat to an engine which already eats coil packs at a grand a pop, as well as 24 spark plugs, but "it's not about me."

There definitely should be space in the motoring world for a powerful discreet, luxurious car, with all the trimmings, as purchased by the very wealthy.

This fashion for loud engines and exhausts in cars, which get overtaken by quiet Astra Vans, is best left to those who need the noise.

You make a good point about heat, coil packs and plugs. And mine has reached 60K, which I am led to understand is about the life of coil packs.
I'm going to look into increasing the cooling efficiency. Perhaps a designed rad? LPG on hold till i've considered your points more.

Not quite sure what your last two paragraphs refer to? Wondering if you've filed me under 'chav boy-racer'? ;-)

Y.........
Not quite sure what your last two paragraphs refer to? Wondering if you've filed me under 'chav boy-racer'? ;-)

Nothing personal about you, sir. Just a comment about those who believe power "performance" needs a loud exhaust or "speed signature" accessories from visible carbon fibre to quad exhausts.

Gasp - how can you possibly live a life without carbon fibre and quad exhausts?

The Queen and I waft (at the National Speed Limit, no more)

the-queen-attending-the-unveiling-of-statues-of-twentieth-news-photo-52106418-1532958758.jpg

Decided not to meddle with the beautiful engine: not going down the LPG route. Not that a proper installation would do it any harm at all, but it would remove originality. I'll use it high days and holidays, as they say. Will have the added bonus of keeping the mileage (very) low.
It is a lovely car, though when I had my E55K it was exciting every time I sat in it. The S600 is lovely, every time I sit in it and although it is stupendously fast it performs without drama. Which is it's point, really.
So refined, comfortable and competent.

Nothing personal about you, sir. Just a comment about those who believe power "performance" needs a loud exhaust or "speed signature" accessories from visible carbon fibre to quad exhausts.

Can't have performance without loud exhausts Mike. Quiet sports cars are muffled and therefore restricted. Great for those who don't need all the power they can get, not so great when you know there's more to be had out of it. I find it best to have both - a silent S600 and a bad boy E55 (with not 2 but 4 silencers, mind).

Can't have performance without loud exhausts Mike. Quiet sports cars are muffled and therefore restricted. Great for those who don't need all the power they can get, not so great when you know there's more to be had out of it. I find it best to have both - a silent S600 and a bad boy E55 (with not 2 but 4 silencers, mind).

Perfect pairing of cars.

Nice car! Regarding the door mechanism, does this run of air/compressor same as a W210 of that era? You could simply have a leaking pipe.

About time I posted an update. Where does time go?
Had it serviced, although the car tells me it's not due for another 4000 miles.
Had a detachable towbar fitted. When it's off you can't tell it's there. Expe
Got the new secondary blower and it's fitted and working happily now.
Nearside rear door lock seems to have settled down; it's a little 'lazy' but works and is eminently liveable-with.
Boot lock stopped soft-closing so had it replaced under the warranty.
I paid for another 12 months of warranty (on the strength of them taking responsibility for the boot lock without any fuss or objection). 1 year cost £399. Covers everything mechanical and electrical, apart from the usual wear and tear, eg brakes, tyres, glass, keys. Although I could have paid extra to cover keys.
Can't really remember what it was that made me a bit suspicious that there might be a problem with the steering back in April but I'm happy with that department now . Probably just the difference in feel compared to my E55 that I had before.
Bought and fitted a ViseeO MB 3000, so I've got hands-free with my iPhone with use of steering wheel controls.
Luxury motoring, with a sting in the tail!

Who is your warranty with @£399 for 12 months on a car that age?

AutoProtect (MBI) Ltd.
I guess the low mileage offset the age.
I could have had 2 years warranty for £599, or 3 years for £7999.

Oh, I'm very poor at getting round to posting on here!
Update:
Gearbox fine now.
Started to settle at the front when parked for a while. Bit jerky raising itself when engine started next time. Autotech had a look and found the nearside ride height sensor was seized up. They replaced it, which smoothed things out, but it still settles a little over a period of 2 or 3 days. Going to try a bleed next, but I'm wondering if it may be the front control valve unit thingy?

They found the nearside front height sensor had seized. Replaced now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom