New car! '97 W140 E320L

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

neilz

MB Enthusiast
Car
W140 S320L, 1997, Black with Black Bird's Eye Maple trim
New car! '97 W140 S320L

As perfect as the engine was (and not much else) in my 124 Coupe, I needed something a bit bigger so when the friendly owner of the garage I always use told me he'd got a car he bought for its private plate and never used I got a bit excited.

Listed my coupe, sold within 2 days (with all 22 faults detailed in the listing) and bought the car!

It's a 1997 W140 S320 (long wheel base), black, with the Birds Eye Maple trim. Only done 65000 miles!

Features:

-Electric rear sun blind
-Electric everything on each seat (adjustments, reclining, back support)
-Heated grey leather seats
-Original Blaupunkt cassette player/CD changer
-Electric adjustable steering wheel
-Working climate control (digital dual zone at front, the rear as its own)
-Motorola International 2700 GSM car phone (still trying to find where the full-sized sim goes in, the unit's very well hidden!)
-Double-paned soundproofed doors
-Headlamp wipers/washers!
-Original alloys
-Doors that shut without being slammed, with a nice quiet thud
-No extending aerial at last!
-Front and rear interior lights (one per seat) and vanity mirrors (one per sear)
-Front and side (at front) air bags
-Glove compartment
-Storage compartment under passenger airbag with mini organiser compartment

My 124 coupe had none of the features I've just mentioned (or a V6 engine for that matter) so I'm very excited about this! And not a spot of rust on the body, I looked very closely. Under the bonnet is in showroom condition.

It was owned by a Saudi family who used a chauffeur who looked after it very well, each and every ding and stone chip was touched in (which doesn't look perfect, but it's better than leaving them to rust). When I collected it, it had been sat for months so was covered in sap and filth but 8am on Sunday I was up washing it down and giving it the Autoglym HD treatment. I didn't clay-bar it because it's such a huge car though I plan to after winter, even without clay-baring it looks spectacular and I'll take photos on Saturday.

The interior is a bit dirty at the back (the mats are a bit muddy, as if it was last used in winter as the snow was turning to slush) but I'm going to get a full valet done.

Just how rare is the Birds Eye Maple trim? I think it's that, it's the blacky-greeny trim

It only has two issues:

One is that the central locking needs a very expensive new part for the fob to unlock all the doors, but the key works fine, and the other is that the central vents at the front aren't letting any air out (the flaps don't open). I took the car in to the garage today for the flap issue to be fixed and I'm collecting it tomorrow.

Edit - why doesn't the thread title update to S320 from E320?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, S320. Thanks for spotting, corrected!

I need more sleep ;)

I have Birdseye maple in my CLK, it's black/brown not the green you mention.

Daz

Birds Eye Maple
birds_eye_maple.jpg

Black Birds Eye Maple
SEPT292009085.jpg

Hope this helps

Black Birds Eye Maple, that must be it, I will take photos when the car's back from getting the vent flap fixed - should be tomorrow evening

Mine is the black as confirmed on my data card. Someone on here may be able to retrieve your data card from your vin number.

Daz

Getting it all back tomorrow, the DVLA documents should be well in the post by then anyway

Thanks, I'll be curious to know if it is that Black Birds Eye Maple or something else

"Doors that shut without being slammed, with a nice quiet thud" = "Soft Close"
"Double-paned soundproofed doors" i think this is listed/known as Double Glazed windows?

Thank you for being so pedantic, nothing else to correct?

It sounded a bit patronising/pedantic, if you didn't intend that then sorry!

I was going to take photos when it's bight and sunny, that was very ambitious. Maybe next weekend? I'll get the VIN and post my specs or, if anyone can get the data card?

No worries :) - i have 4 young kids -it is difficult to concentrate! - so i usually just robotically enter the info without the pleasantries!- i can understand that it did therefore seem patronising rather than informing

I just made my list based on what impressed me, rather than using the names of the features, because it's all still a novelty for me. It feels so good to have a luxury car once again, since I sold my Rolls in 1995 (which broke down daily) so I was just really impressed with everything. One thing I still haven't found is where to put the full-sized sim for my (GSM) car phone. It's driving me crazy!

Anyway, VIN when I eventually get round to writing it down or when the DVLA papers arrive and photos on the next sunny weekend

Sorry, the formatting turns out to have vanished for the table, will correct it later!

Well, I got the VIN, of course the MB Club Russia site has removed the VIN tool and members here kindly offered to look it up but I found another one () so below are my specs:

Название val fin vin WDB1400332A386400 whc WDB chassbm 140033 chass_ident 2A386400 type 140 subbm1 033 subbm2 auxiliary_drive body 00000 body_code delivery_date engine 104994 22 097548 front_axle1 front_axle2 heater interior 268A lights BOSCH model_idx 8 odometer order_num1 0753764196 paint1 189 paint2 paint3 paint4 paint5 platform production_num1 production_order_ref rear_axle1 rear_axle2 release_date retarder 8 970819 rims service_num steering trailer transfer_case transmission 722605 00 526203 vin_dc vinwhc winch wiper
Code Текст 220 PARKTRONIC SYSTEM (PTS) 221 LEFT FRONT SEAT, ELECTRICALLY ADJUSTABLE 222 RIGHT FRONT SEAT, ELECTRICALLY ADJUSTABLE 223 REAR BACK REST ADJUSTMENT AND HEAD RESTRAINTS, ELE 226 FOOTRESTS IN THE REAR 303 FRONT FOLDING ARMREST WITH TRAY 340 ADDITIONAL 3RD STOP LAMP 412 Unknown 441 ADJUSTABLE STEERING COLUMN 461 INSTRUMENT WITH MILES IND. AND ENGLISH LEGEND 533 SPEAKERS FRONT AND REAR - WITHOUT RADIO 540 ROLLER BLIND, ELECTRIC, FOR REAR WINDOW 582 AIR CONDITIONER IN THE REAR 600 HEADLAMPS - CLEANING EQUIPMENT 613 LAMP UNIT - ASSYMETRICAL, LH TRAFFIC 649 LIGHT ALLOY WHEELS 6-HOLE 668 PACKAGING FOR SHIPPING VEHICLES WITH TIE-DOWN HOOK 732 BIRDSEYE MAPLE WOOD TRIM, BLACK 808 AEJ 06/1/M/X 833 INVALID/GREAT BRITAIN,ADDITIONAL PARTS 873 SEAT HEATER FOR LEFT AND RIGHT FRONT SEATS 984 COC DOC., DELETION OF VEHICLE REGISTRATION DOC. 200A LEATHER 189 APPLICATION CODE FOR COMPONENT PROCESSING 268A LEATHER GREY
Number 412 is for the tilt and slide sunroof, and it seems the previous owner got rid of the foot-rests. The radio is aftermarket it turns out then, it's a Blaupunkt radio/cassette/CD changer in boot, and as I mentioned before it has the Motorola International 2700 GSM phone. I like the colour (turns out it's Emerald black) and the trip IS Black Bird's Eye Maple! It's a W140.044 which I found was called the 300SEL early on so it's a long wheel base I think. Really happy with the car.

Hi Neilz,

I know the car you bought, in fact I had a look at it twice and was on the verge of buying it before I had a change of heart.

Hope you are enjoying it. I must say that your particular car is incredibly clean on the body - amongst the cleanest I've seen.

Good luck

Thanks, I was amazed at the condition - not a spot of rust! Must have been garage stored, the only thing I'm not too happy with is the amount of touch up paint over the car (the paint is darker than the rest of the car) but I guess it's that or several white or even rusty stone chips.

Can't delete or edit my previous post so I'm posting the whole datasheet again, but this time formatted so it's easy to read.

It's going in next week to have the central vent fixed (garage thinks the tube has just fallen away) and the extra brake light (the one in the rear window) fixed. Central locking pump is to be replaced as soon as I source a reasonably priced one.

The colour is Emerald Black and the interior wood trim has been confirmed to be Black Birds Eye Maple!

val:
fin:
vin: WDB1400332A386400
whc: WDB
chassbm: 140033
chass_ident: 2A386400
type: 140
subbm1: 033
subbm2:
auxiliary_drive:
body: 00000
body_code:
delivery_date:
engine: 104994 22 097548
front_axle1:
front_axle2:
heater:
interior: 268A
lights: BOSCH
model_idx: 8
odometer:
order_num1: 0753764196
paint1: 189
paint2:
paint3:
paint4:
paint5:
platform:
production_num1:
production_order_ref:
rear_axle1:
rear_axle2:
release_date:
retarder: 8 970819
rims:
service_num:
steering:
trailer:
transfer_case:
transmission: 722605 00 526203
vin_dc:
vinwhc:
winch:
wiper:

220 PARKTRONIC SYSTEM (PTS)
221 LEFT FRONT SEAT, ELECTRICALLY ADJUSTABLE
222 RIGHT FRONT SEAT, ELECTRICALLY ADJUSTABLE
223 REAR BACK REST ADJUSTMENT AND HEAD RESTRAINTS, ELE
226 FOOTRESTS IN THE REAR
303 FRONT FOLDING ARMREST WITH TRAY
340 ADDITIONAL 3RD STOP LAMP
412 Unknown Tilt and slide sunroof
441 ADJUSTABLE STEERING COLUMN
461 INSTRUMENT WITH MILES IND. AND ENGLISH LEGEND
533 SPEAKERS FRONT AND REAR - WITHOUT RADIO
540 ROLLER BLIND, ELECTRIC, FOR REAR WINDOW
582 AIR CONDITIONER IN THE REAR
600 HEADLAMPS - CLEANING EQUIPMENT
613 LAMP UNIT - ASSYMETRICAL, LH TRAFFIC
649 LIGHT ALLOY WHEELS 6-HOLE
668 PACKAGING FOR SHIPPING VEHICLES WITH TIE-DOWN HOOK
732 BIRDSEYE MAPLE WOOD TRIM, BLACK
808 AEJ 06/1/M/X 1998 Model (according to DVLA made in 1997)
833 INVALID/GREAT BRITAIN,ADDITIONAL PARTS
873 SEAT HEATER FOR LEFT AND RIGHT FRONT SEATS
984 COC DOC., DELETION OF VEHICLE REGISTRATION DOC.
200A LEATHER
189 APPLICATION CODE FOR COMPONENT PROCESSING
268A LEATHER GREY

Has no rear footrests (must have been removed by previous owner?), but does have aftermarket car phone and radio. Has just 65k miles and 2 previous owners.

Oh, and if anyone's wondering what site I got that data from, it's here:

Ìîäåëü

The site seems defunct (the homepage is a default "under construction" page but the VIN decoder works perfectly. Enter your VIN, then select your car's country or location (US or Europe in my case) then click on DataCard at the top right

Photos from before I bought the car!

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 61
  • photo (2).jpg
    photo (2).jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 62
  • photo (3).jpg
    photo (3).jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 62

Users who are viewing this thread