New car! '97 W140 E320L

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Nice car.
I've got a s500 from 1998 with birds eye trim.They come in two shades grenn and yellow only.I know as I had a custom steering wheel made to yellow shade I've got.
Make sure that following works:soft closing,central locking,middle vents when you press red or blue and blower fan on every speed.Common those go wrong been there few times.My s500 is my 5th w140 hopefully you will enjoy it as much as I do.Good luck

The car looks very nice - I hope you get many years of enjoyment out of it .

They come in two shades grenn and yellow only.I know as I had a custom steering wheel made to yellow shade I've got.

My shade (as confirmed by my VIN) is officially Black but it is greenish if that's what you mean?

Make sure that following works:soft closing,central locking,middle vents when you press red or blue and blower fan on every speed.Common those go wrong been there few times.My s500 is my 5th w140 hopefully you will enjoy it as much as I do.Good luck

Soft closing - it takes very little to shut the door (you don't need to slam it) - does it mean it works then? I have a feeling it's not. I know the boot one isn't as you need to slam the boot otherwise it bounces up and (once or twice :doh:) hits you in the face!

Central locking - needs a new pump, I'm sourcing one under a few hundred Euros (550 seems to be the common price)

Middle vent - doesn't work altogether. Being repaired now

And that's it for faults! I'm very happy with it - not fuel efficient in the slightest (12mpg down from the 28mpg I measured on my C124 E220) but I love it! Much more well built than my C124 if that's even possible!

@Pontoneer: Thanks! So do I - I aim to keep it until it dies (which may well be decades)

The middle vents are controlled from your central locking pump

Ah! That explains it, I had Mercedes scratching their heads about it when I took it in 2 days ago. They fixed a bit of trim on the driver's door (with the seat adjuster on it) that had fallen out, they fixed a rear headrest that wouldn't go up and they fixed the additional braking light but they didn't manage to do the vent (they had the whole dash out!) which is why I'm taking it back at the weekend. I saw the w140 eBay store but they don't have my part, there was this listing which ended in September on eBay Italia (Google found it for me) but the seller never replied to my message asking if it's still available

Give Carl a call he will have anything you need.Been with him couple of weeks ago (my gear box died),his got a massive store with w140 parts and I mean massive!!!His in Ashford not that far from us.I've got a shopping list for next week for him too - soft closing pump diying,bootlid catch lock got a leak on vacuum and a set of amg monoblocks :)

You mean his eBay store isn't all he has? I'm going to call him ASAP! These German parts websites have extortionate prices, I was about to resort to buying the pump from them.

So the boot and door soft closing pumps may be dead, and the central locking pump, and the central vent at the front won't work if the central locking pump is dead.

Edit: I try not to refer to my parts list as a shopping list, brings back bad memories of my W124 coupe and the 24 parts needed. I was actually putting together money saving up to buy all of them :doh:. Threw away its shopping list yesterday. £5000 needed for parts, excluding the full respray.

Yes sir,his ebay shop doesn't have everything.
From your description you probably need soft closing pump (in the boot left far corner),central locking pump (under the back seat drivers side) those should solve lots of problems.W140's air system controls lots on the car.Start from there m8

Thanks, written his number down, will call him ASAP

Thanks, written his number down, will call him ASAP

Ian Walker is breaking a W140

Mic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom