New car audio system

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Happy Gillmore

Car
CLK 270 CDI
MB Owners,
I have just received the dreaded PROD error diagnostic in my new CLK. Having showed the system to a car audio expert, and also gained advice from the very helpful MB experts at Andy Gayle (Birmingham), I have been advsied to buy a new Audio system.

Having looked through the forum and done a bit of research on the standard Halfords and Car Audio Cent websites, i'm under the impression that the most favoured brands with MB owners are:
1) Pioneer
2) JVC
3) Sony

I have a budget up to £300 MAX looking for a system with a built in Sat-Nav and Bluetooth. I would be most appreciative if you point me in the direction of some awesome products, and websites of interest :thumb:

Cheers!
Happy G:bannana:

I'd try to find a late-model Becker nav unit. You'd have to go a long way to better the Becker overall - the tuners are superb and the audio quality is far ahead of anything else I've tried

Nick Froome

+1 for the Becker. The Becker Cascade in the 124 is simply superb even though its getting on in years. You will be hard pushed to find one for your budget though. Prices have risen since production of Becker units ended.

How about an alpine IDA-305s and a garmin nuvi with 2013 maps? :)

Cracking head unit with ipod control and USB lead. Would need a facia adapter , but would launch the system into the presend day from the audio 10.

Alpine - Digital Media Receiver - iDA-X305S
31727024016_large.jpg

Both of which I'm selling. PM me if youre interested

Hi

Happy G,

As a former ripspeed speciliast at Hlafords - My suggestion is make the purchase at Halfords.

Seondly - some halford stores will have a demo area for you to trial your stereo, are you also upgrading your speakers?, are you installing bass/woofer in the car also?

Thanks

Manni

Seondly - some halford stores will have a demo area for you to trial your stereo, are you also upgrading your speakers?, are you installing bass/woofer in the car also?

Is the demo area similar to that of a car internally?

Hi

John, no it is not similar to that of a car, demo i mean they have car steroes hooked up to various speakers so you can pick and choose.

Sorry for the confusion.

Manni

Ah ok. I thought they might have moved down the route of Richer Sounds.

Unfortunately, listening to a stereo in a wall doesn't sound anything like it will in your car in my experience, but I suppose it is unrealistic to expect Halfords to have something like that - which even then, would not be representative of all cars anyway...

I decided recently to do a similar thing and replaced my audio 10 & CD changer in my w209 clk cab. I just bought a Pionner DEH4400BT head unit from halfords I will hopefully mount it in where my CD changer was, then I will mount my Google Nexus 7 tablet in the double din area and use it for sat nav, music, etc. You may also need a can bus adaptor if you want to use your steering wheel controls.

I have install the pioneer and can bus to make sure all is working. Now need to extend the can bus harness to reach in glove box area where head unit will live.

Hi

Happy G,

As a former ripspeed speciliast at Hlafords - My suggestion is make the purchase at Halfords.

Thanks

Manni

Hi Manni,
Thank you for your reply.

I'm not upgrading the speakers, it's just the actual audio system double din unit.
My local Halfords (Bham) said that they are slightly worried about detaching my current Becker 10, due to different way that it is wired. Do you have any experience with these Manni?

And also do Halfords offer their fitting service to customers who have not purchased the unit from Halfords?

Hi Manni,
Thank you for your reply.

I'm not upgrading the speakers, it's just the actual audio system double din unit.
My local Halfords (Bham) said that they are slightly worried about detaching my current Becker 10, due to different way that it is wired. Do you have any experience with these Manni?

And also do Halfords offer their fitting service to customers who have not purchased the unit from Halfords?

The iso plug will be fine.

It doesnt have a switched ignition circuit as its controlled with the D2b fibre connections and im sure it won't have speed pulse either for the sat nav. Both of which you will have to locate and add to the iso plug for it to work correctly.

The speakers are rubbish in the car , well worth upgrading them.

Hi

Happy G,

Halford will not fit any that was not purchased from them.
As Fuzzler has mentioned ISO lead by autoleads will get the double din working, while your at you may as well get the speakers upgraded as well.
The factory fitted head unit is paired with the current speakers, so if you upgrade your head unit, for better quality of sound you, well worth the speaker upgrade.

I have just upgarded my speakers in my 1998 230k sports with some brand new pyle blue range speakers front and back, the Head unit is a JVC KD 611, with an old Longmill Prophet amp connected to and pioneer sub.
Sounds Very nice.

Thanks
Manni

If your car had Audio 10 you don't need an adapter.

If you have an amp in the rear you may need one that adjusts the volume so you don't overdrive the amp, but it will still work ok without it, may just find teh volume is a bit loud and adjusting it happens in too big a step each time.

You will need to attach the 12v switched wire from the new head unit to the ciggy lighter, and you will need to find speed pulse, it is a wire in the footwell.

I would just do it yourself, it is all pretty basic and will only take an hour or two even if it is your first time.

The new Pioneer App Radio 2 is pretty nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom