New car.....but it’s not a Benz

Discussion in 'MB Defectors to Other Marques Forum' started by Eddy77, Apr 27, 2019.

1. Eddy77

Eddy77 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2008 CLK 350 Sport Cab, 2019 Audi A6 Avant 40 TDi S-Line
    Mrs T has been tooling around in a 2010 Mondeo since.....well....2010 when we bought it new.

Today we replaced it. I couldn’t persuade her with an E class estate so we have ordered a brand new 2019 Audi A6 40 Tdi S-Line Avant. Took one out for an hour today and it is a deeply impressive car. Bit of a looker too. We’ve gone for Pearlescent Daytona Grey. It’s a nice car.....but not a Merc. We still have the CLK though so don’t flame me for abandoning Mercedes!

Pics to follow. They had an unregistered one in stock so should get it in the next two weeks!

2. AMGeed

AMGeed MB Club Veteran

Car:
    2004 W211 E55K ///AMG
    That should earn you a few brownie points with Mrs T:thumb:

3. OP
    OP
    Eddy77

Car:
    I think so....it’s her birthday today. Not a bad present! I usually get a pair of socks!

Crazyfool, MikeInWimbledon and a111r like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Eddy77

Car:
    Here’s a quick picture. Not sure how to embed the image properly!

20190504_111846583_iOS.jpg

20190505_074035671_iOS.jpg

Only driven it a few miles so far but initial thoughts are that it’s a great family car. Different ethos to the E class, which perhaps would have been my preference, but there is no denying that on the design front (aesthetics) the Audi is a very good looking car. This is an S-Line WITHOUT the fancy adaptive suspension. I was a little concerned about firmness, but it really rides rather well inmho. Reviews are mixed with some people saying it needs the adaptive, but on a test drive we found it fine and the actual car we bought is the same. I was wondering if the demo we tried was tricked out with adaptive, because it rode nicely and the reviews said it wouldn’t. The sales guy assured me their demo was on standard S-Line springs so I was sold! Yes, it’s firm, but it doesn’t crash and jiggle like sporty Audis of old. It’s rather similar to an AMG line Mercedes and I’m happy with that. It’s my wife’s car so what I think is actually not that important. She loves it. Gotta say the interior of these is also pretty special and the level of tech is mighty impressive and easy to use. I will try and post a few more pics if anyone is interested. Also happy to answer questions if anyone is considering one as an alternative to an E class as we considered both!

Last edited: May 5, 2019
    SPX likes this.
  5. SPX

SPX MB Club Veteran

Car:
    That one
    There’s something about Audi cars that I really like but that same feeling just doesn’t sit right and I can’t put my finger on it - might be the FWD standard, might be how good they are at everything but not amazing at one thing - I’d be more than happy to own one!

6. OP
    OP
    Eddy77

Car:
    100% know what you mean. For me its because it’s a VW / Skoda in drag. I always think they are a bit of a fake! But at the end of the day, they are super nice and you could levy the same criticism of many cars over the years. FWD doesn’t bother me, but it’s definitely a negative in comparison with a 5 series or E class.

Should also add that I got a fantastic deal on it which made it more appealing.

SPX likes this.
  7. Petrol Pete

Petrol Pete Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C55 AMG Wagon
    Just check the indicators work, many Audi's on the road today don't seem to have functioning indicators :p. Nice car :thumb:

kid-jensen and MrRight like this.
  8. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    Sorry never been a fan of the recent "my radiator grill's bigger than yours" styling arms race- a trend shared, it should be added, by LEXUS and some AMG Mercedes models. :eek::( Is it so these cars appear to loom larger in other drivers rear view mirrors? Whatever the reason it comes across as overtly aggressive and ruins the look of otherwise elegant cars imho.
    Despite these misgivings I hope you enjoy your new set of wheels.

merc85 and Flyinspanner like this.
  9. OP
    OP
    Eddy77

Car:
    Hmmm... just done a four hour round trip in it. 2 hours each way. The seats are initially comfy and snug but I had a very numb bum after two hours. Tried all sorts of adjustments, it so far no joy. Peculiar as I’ve never had an issue with any car seat before....even in my CLK which is often slated for poor seats. It’s like the seats are too hard! Maybe they will soften up over time. Hey ho!

10. clk320x

clk320x MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W211 E320 CDI - W212 E250 CDI
    Edit will pm you

Eddy77 likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    Eddy77

Car:
    [​IMG]

Reposting image due to problems with the ones above which have been deleted (thanks CLK320)!

blademansw, Bobby Dazzler and clk320x like this.
  12. renault12ts

renault12ts MB Club Veteran

Car:
    2005 W215 CL500.
    How much would a new front grille cost?

kianok likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    Eddy77

Car:
    Cheeky sod!

14. OP
    OP
    Eddy77

Car:
    A few more interior shots at night

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vick N, kianok and clk320x like this.
  15. OP
    OP
    Eddy77

Car:

Spent an hour fiddling with the seats today and eventually found a comfy position which seems to alleviate the pressure on my backside. Ended up sat higher than I am used to and slightly more reclined. Did a two hour round trip in it today and all was well on the comfort front. Am quite liking the car....think an E would still have been my ultimate choice but I’m not the main driver so I had to concede!

16. Bobby Dazzler

Bobby Dazzler MB Club Veteran

Car:
    ML AMG-line Black Series
    Lovely car, enjoy. We had an A6 Avant, albeit the previous generation, and it was a deeply competent car - it only knew how to do things really, really well.

ringway and Eddy77 like this.
  17. OP
    OP
    Eddy77

Car:
    I hope it’s a good un. I’m under no illusion that a 5 series would be a better steer and the Merc a better ride. But this seems to strike a middle ground and - as you say - seems to be very good in all areas. All I want is for it to fulfill its family duties reliably, comfortably and with a bit of style thrown in. I think it does that. Was down at B&Q today, seats folded, sheets of MDF loaded and a load of timber. I did put a blanket down but this car is for working not just looking pretty!

18. SPX

SPX MB Club Veteran

Car:
    That one
    I struggle to remember a time when I’d happily own any one of the current E-Class, 5 series & A6 ranges offered; all of them look the business.

Crazyfool likes this.
  19. Crazyfool

Crazyfool Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    (14) E350 AMG Sport Estate Obsidian Black & (96) 2.6 Audi Convertible Europa Blue
    Out of the three marques, if you are looking for interior styling which is good quality I would go for an Audi any day of the week. Mercedes is catching up, but in my opinion is still not quite there. BMW are way behind.

I was so close to buying an A6 Avant, but I had so many mechanical issues with my A4’s I had to change it otherwise I was moving into divorce territory! I’ve heard other people say they’ve had no problems with theirs; so maybe I was just out of luck.

I wasn’t convinced by all this rear wheel drive business, but now I own one, I much prefer it to the FWD and the 3.0TDI Quattro I test drove, which still puts most of its power to the front wheels.

I’ve still got a real soft spot for Audi’s, they are nice looking cars, so I hope your wife enjoys it.

20. blademansw

blademansw Active Member

Car:
    2011 W204 C220D Touring
    I'm not an Audi fan, but I do quite like the A6. Lovely looking car :)

Crazyfool likes this.