New car.....but it’s not a Benz

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
LOL. But you get my point. Audi seem to have made the front of their cars very vulnerable even in a very very low speed bump.

Ah, gotcha! I thought you were suggesting it would be better with a Merc grille up front!!!! Yeah, you’re right....it would be an expensive shunt for sure!

stunning interior but navigation location fail for me as it is a bit too low but at least is well integrated and not a stick on screen.

My friend's 2018 RS4 avant is lovely until you find the seats are not electrically adjustable which makes me chuckle.

stunning interior but navigation location fail for me as it is a bit too low but at least is well integrated and not a stick on screen.

My friend's 2018 RS4 avant is lovely until you find the seats are not electrically adjustable which makes me chuckle.
If it's like the Q5, then you can have the nav screen in the instrument binnacle too. Many options for the screens I believe.

Quick update on the A6. Car has settled in nicely. The seats have softened massively after a few weeks use and are now super comfy.

Also, the suspension seems to have bedded in. Initially it felt a bit crashy but it has gained composure now and is really rather good. Drove back 210 miles or so from Devon to Hampshire at the weekend on a mix of single track lanes, B roads, motorway and the A303 passing Salisbury Plain and it was supremely relaxed and comfortable. I’m very happy with the choice. Built in Sat Nav is a bit of a pain to use (overly complicated interface) but I can use Waze through Apple Carplay so no biggie.

That's a lovely car, Eddy. Wise choice. I think Audi have the edge when it comes to styling.
The A6 is nice to travel in.

I'm on my second A6 Avant. The first a 3.0TDI which was a fine car.

Last year I bought a 3.0 twin turbo TDI which I'm hopelessly in love with.
50mpg+ if you want it and a fag paper over 5 seconds to 60mph. It actually feel faster. The 70 - 100 acceleration is bonkers.

I want another one with a 'Panasonic' roof.
However, I love the adaptive air suspension on this car and finding another A6 riding on air (apart from an All Road) is very unlikely indeed.

29th-May-2019-074.jpg

I cant really comment on the seat comfort, because pretty much all the seats I sit in are uncomfy due to a big spine injury some years ago.
I am about to have yet anther set of A8 seats fitted in this car from a 2007 model.
I have had A8 seats from 2012 (lovely but killed me) 2005 seat, no luck.
The D3 2003 seats are the best of a bad bunch and will return to the car if the 2007 ones aren't as comfy as I'm hoping.

I have done some mods.
Fitted:
Indicators.
Anti-tailgating.
Anti-BMW lane hogging.
Disabled - I'm a tw4t assist.

I cant really comment on the seat comfort, because pretty much all the seats I sit in are uncomfy due to a big spine injury some years ago
Ever thought of having custom moulded seats? Some one like D-class should be able to create upholstery to help?

That's a lovely car, Eddy. Wise choice. I think Audi have the edge when it comes to styling.
The A6 is nice to travel in.

I'm on my second A6 Avant. The first a 3.0TDI which was a fine car.

Last year I bought a 3.0 twin turbo TDI which I'm hopelessly in love with.
50mpg+ if you want it and a fag paper over 5 seconds to 60mph. It actually feel faster. The 70 - 100 acceleration is bonkers.

I want another one with a 'Panasonic' roof.
However, I love the adaptive air suspension on this car and finding another A6 riding on air (apart from an All Road) is very unlikely indeed.

29th-May-2019-074.jpg

I cant really comment on the seat comfort, because pretty much all the seats I sit in are uncomfy due to a big spine injury some years ago.
I am about to have yet anther set of A8 seats fitted in this car from a 2007 model.
I have had A8 seats from 2012 (lovely but killed me) 2005 seat, no luck.
The D3 2003 seats are the best of a bad bunch and will return to the car if the 2007 ones aren't as comfy as I'm hoping.

I have done some mods.
Fitted:
Indicators.
Anti-tailgating.
Anti-BMW lane hogging.
Disabled - I'm a tw4t assist.

Love the reg plate!

Interesting views....in the last three years my son has driven a BMW X6 then changed for an Audi Q7 (now his wife's car) and recently he got a E53AMG Coupe....he says the Merc is his favourite of the three. I used to be a BMW fan (great drivers car) but think the styling still looks like the 5 series I had in 1995 and is dated. I have never quite taken to the Audi - there is just something about the interior and styling that does not appeal to me.....

Interesting views....in the last three years my son has driven a BMW X6 then changed for an Audi Q7 (now his wife's car) and recently he got a E53AMG Coupe....he says the Merc is his favourite of the three. I used to be a BMW fan (great drivers car) but think the styling still looks like the 5 series I had in 1995 and is dated. I have never quite taken to the Audi - there is just something about the interior and styling that does not appeal to me.....

Comparing two SUV's with a sports Coupe, hardly the same thing though. If he had been comparing a BMW 5 series with an Audi S5 series then fair enough.

Ever thought of having custom moulded seats? Some one like D-class should be able to create upholstery to help?

Thanks, Peter.
I hadn't heard of d:class but they may well be able to help in some way.
My last move in my quest for comfort was to take the original A6 seat to a local trimmer.
At my request, the inserted a thick layer of foam into the base of the seat, but that didn't help.

There are only two seats that haven't caused saddle anaesthesia - any 210 seat or the one's in my Range Rover.
One would think I have all the evidence I need to get a seat that's perfect, but no.
I also had a Jag XF last year and the seats in that were reasonably kind, but I decided not to keep the car.
I have a lovely 4.2 Q7 that I thought might be comfy, but no luck there, so that is now for sale.

Thanks, Peter.
I hadn't heard of d:class but they may well be able to help in some way.
My last move in my quest for comfort was to take the original A6 seat to a local trimmer.
At my request, the inserted a thick layer of foam into the base of the seat, but that didn't help.

There are only two seats that haven't caused saddle anaesthesia - any 210 seat or the one's in my Range Rover.
One would think I have all the evidence I need to get a seat that's perfect, but no.
I also had a Jag XF last year and the seats in that were reasonably kind, but I decided not to keep the car.
I have a lovely 4.2 Q7 that I thought might be comfy, but no luck there, so that is now for sale.
What’s currently in the stable Paul? FFRR, A6 & Q7?

Comparing two SUV's with a sports Coupe, hardly the same thing though. If he had been comparing a BMW 5 series with an Audi S5 series then fair enough.

Not really, that is the car he likes the most when it comes to all aspects of the driving/owning experience. None of those cars are slouches & are all high end cars. He had a 5 series before the X6i and really disliked it.

He is not a petrol head and looks at a car as something to get him from A to B in style and comfort with some performance.

Had the A6 for four months now and done a fe thousand miles. Thought I’d update the post with my latest thoughts. It’s not all good.

First the good stuff

I remain convinced it is the best looking big estate out there. Hands down it is a handsome beast. Exterior fit and finish is superb.

On the move it is super quiet. 2.0 diesel is inaudible most of the time. And it feels properly swift (205bhp is enough)!

Ride is acceptable for an S Line version on standard springs. Better than a lot of sport line cars I’ve been in.

Generally it’s a lovely place to cover a lot of miles.

BUT.........there are some issues

The first, bordering on dangerous, issue is the lift off lag at junctions. I appreciate that all diesel autos suffer from this a bit, but this takes it to another level. It’s not just me....google it and Audi owners worldwide are up in arms. It’s not good enough for a car at this price level and it really is dangerous when pulling out on busy roundabouts etc.

Next up....dashboard creaks and rattles. Again, google it and loads of new A6 and 7 owners are complaining about this. Will ask the dealer to look at it next service but google suggests they can’t sort it out. Irritating in the extreme as Audi are supposed to have fit and finish nailed.

MMI interface is crap. Utter crap compared to idrive and comand. Say nav woeful. Too hard to use. I now use apple maps or Waze through car play.

Basic features are generally hard to use. Engaging the speed limiter is a faff. The plethora of touch screens make changing the temperature hard when driving. It looks great but in practice it doesn’t work well. Epic fail imho. So annoying. The dash is awash with displays and read outs. Four months on I still struggle to see the time quickly amongst the myriad of icons and numbers/readouts on the main dash. Madness!

Boot is too raked to be a true load lugger. It’s surprising how LITTLE you can fit in.

Overall it is compromised in too many areas. A lot of the time it does feel like a Skoda Superb in drag. You get the feeling that it was designed to look nice but it’s often a case of form over function. Dare I say it, it all feels a bit naff. And don’t even mention the completely fake exhaust outlets!

Would I have another?

Categorically no; apart from the fact that with the enormous discounts on these new, they do work out a lot cheaper than an equivalent Merc or BMW. So it’s perhaps not fair to compare them like for like. It’s not that it’s a bad car per se....it’s just that with an RRP of £45k it needs to be exceptional and there are too many niggles with it for my liking.

Last edited:
Nuts. I was waiting in baited breath for a positive update because I still have a soft spot for Audi’s. The problem is I posted this a fair while ago

One year on....
One year on....

Another Audi followed by a divorce OR buy something else and stay happliy married?
Another Audi followed by a divorce OR buy something else and stay happliy married?

And I must admit I’m not really missing Audi. As you say, they are the best looking car in the class, but could I live with one...nope!

We both still love the Merc to the point that I replaced her Audi cab with an E400 cab this year. The V6 diesel in my car is brilliant and I’ve never noticed the turbo lag until I got into my wife’s petrol version. It is surprisingly noticeable but not enough to give me the same concerns you seem to have.

Shame really because I do love the A6.

Last edited:
The turbo lag from standstill is the killer for me. The rest of it I could kind of overlook. But not the lag. It’s infuriating! Hey ho. I’ve got it now so will live with it!!

The turbo lag from standstill is the killer for me. The rest of it I could kind of overlook. But not the lag. It’s infuriating! Hey ho. I’ve got it now so will live with it!!

I’m guessing you test drove a different model-engine-gearbox config?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom