New car, but not Mercedes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tiff

Car
2001 SLK 230.
I'm a huge Volvo fan, and have owned many, from a 265GLE to an 850T5. My Brother in Law was always a Ford man, with a few detours with VW and Peugeot, so a good few months ago he surprised us all by saying he really wanted a new V40! A windfall came his way so he went off to the local Volvo dealer and ordered a Passion Red D2 R design, with cruise, rear park sensors, winter pack, spare wheel and flex floor. A week later he collected it and drove it home. He then fell ill and sadly died nearly 2 weeks ago, having only driven the car 75 miles.

My Sister and he had discussed the car and both said that if he couldn't drive again the car should go to me which caused me a few sleepless nights, but having spoken about it all with my sister I have agreed to take over the care of the car.

At this point I would like to say how brilliant the staff at Barnetts Volvo in Dundee have been- from the first enquiry to sorting out the paperwork etc. I have been in the Motor Trade for over 20 years, and it restores my faith in dealerships and the sales side of the business. They really went above and beyond. It has a 3 year service contract so hopefully this side will be as good.

I was a firm "bangernomics" motorist, being a mechanic and MOT tester I tend to buy older unloved vehicles and keep them running sweet- a hobby as well as a vehicle. A new car to me is something I prepare for other people or gaze at in the showroom. My wife and I just returned from Frankfurt last month after visiting the motor show in out old MGF which did the journey totally fault free and very economically!

To the Volvo- still getting my head around it- digital radio, beeps and bongs, auto wipers and lights, hands free, bluetooth... all alien to me but I'm coming round.. but all I'll have to do it clean and polish it.. no more weekends changing steering racks or wiper motors....hopefully! I've only driven it 120 miles or so, so still getting used to it- I now work as a breakdown driver on call, so will be doing very few miles in the car.

8b527b51-9e40-4c21-ab4d-f85a352927e0_zps79548e67.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

f06594be-fb43-4b9a-829d-9c300e71cd31_zps3b4e8ff2.jpg

I like the look of these, up there with the A-class for a medium size hatch IMO. I hope you enjoy it and my condolences on your brother-in-law's passing.

May I offer my condolences, a nasty twist of fate.

Nice car, the colour and wheel combo reminds me of one of my old Volvo's. Mine where T5-R 'bitsa's' built up from written of cars and what I had laying around.

The new V40 based on the last Ford Focus platform with Volvo tweaks evidently--- which is no bad thing.:thumb: Sorry to hear of your brother's passing:(

My condolences to all too.

An A Class (in the side on shot?) based on a focus chassis. Cant be bad. Keep us updated.

Good to hear from you if unfortunate circumstances.

CHEERS

I'm sorry to hear about your brother-in-law. You and your family are in my thoughts.

That's a handsome looking car. Although I can only see the nose, the MGF looks sharp too. :thumb:

It has been a really bad time lately- My sister and I lost our mum 3 months ago- she had Alzheimers and my sister and brother and law took early retirement and moved in with her to look after her, and 10 weeks later he passed away. Devastating.

I've just been out to give it a good going over and a polish, it really is a nice car, even if Volvo are now Chinese owned! A bit unnerving to see Citroen/Peugeot/Ford components everywhere too.
The MGF was a brilliant,brilliant car, after I rebuilt the top end of the engine and went through it front to back. Fife-Frankfurt and back via Dover, including a week touring round the Luxembourg/Trier area it averaged 48.3 MPG and 100% fault free. Volvo is showing 54.5MPG so far, with all the economy gubbins it's fitted with and I'm driving that very gently!

The MGF, in a roundabout way, has been donated to Help For Heroes, which was something that was close to Jimmy's heart- it's rased over £300 so far and will be touring the country. If you see it, stick your hand in your pocket!

Last edited:
Nice looking Volvo, have run C30s for the past 5 and a bit years now, never had a moments trouble with either of them and intend to buy a V40 in a couple of years time.

Enjoy the car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom