New car, C or E?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Colin_b

MB Enthusiast
Car
C250CDI (C320CDI & SLK350, Sold) & the Trusty Citigo
I've been thinking about getting myself a new car to accompany my SLK. My need for estates has gone now, so I can get rid of my trusty but boring Astra and get something more fitting for my newly minted first grandchild.

So I've been considering a C saloon, either a C220cdi or C250cdi now the 7 speed box is available. Nice cars, they will do the job, but I really want non-sports suspension and xenon lights - Cumbria is not noted for streetlights to illuminate the suicidal sheep, nor flat roads. Doable, but pricey.

Having a look at the MB website an equivalent E is only 5% more, and better equipped. It seems to be better value, but slightly bigger than I need, but not a problem.

Is there a catch, lease prices seem to be about the same...

Hello Colin, I've had C's while mine was being serviced.

Nice cars, but I always look forward to getting my E back.

There's just more "solidity" to the E.

The only size issue with E's is at parking time, and Parktronic sorts that.

I also found when getting the options I wanted on the C Class that the price was much the same as a similarly specced E. My main concern was whether the E was too big and I started a thread on this here: http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/general-discussion/106583-e-class-too-big.html

Having had the E class for a month now I don't find the size a problem at all - and the car is great! Very comfortable and quiet - and quick, as well.

I've always found Mercedes pricing structure most bizarre.

My friend replaced his brand new C-Class' with another come 3 years. As he was about to order the third, out of interest he asked the salesman to price up an E-Class with the same specification and it came to only £500 more than the C....:confused:

I, for obvious reasons, prefer the E to the C in Avantgarde form, which I will presume would be your choice?

if you want a high spec car, the price difference between C and E class is small .. less than £1000.

the E class is a cut above the C -- Club World v World Traveller Plus

An E class saloon avantgarde would be the obvious new car choice.

Test both. I've driven both 204 and 212 and would say they are very similar to drive. The seats are miles better in the C class, but I have an injured back and found the 212's seating not as good as the C's. Cabin wise, the new 204 is equally as nice a place to be as the 212 E class, if not more so. Cumbrian roads are narrow, and a smaller car is an asset down there.

Whilst the E is more luxurious, more hushed, the smaller car may be more suitable. Spec for spec, its still £500 cheaper. Elegance trim is probably what you would go for on a C.

I went through the C-Class or E-Class dilemma earlier this year when I decided to replace my W204 C220CDI Elegance.

My daily commute is mainly on fast unlit B-roads so I’d decided that the Intelligent Lighting System was a definite “must have” this time, and like you I also have no desire for the sport suspension. In many ways the C-Class is the ideal size car for me with the E-Class being bigger than I really need, but once you add ILS and heated seats to a C-Class Elegance the extra cost of an E-Class Avantgarde is tiny.

Ultimately I went down the E-Class route and don’t regret it. It’s slightly embarrassing that it overhangs virtually every parking bay I park in, but the plus side is that pretty much all the things I would have had to add to a C-Class Elegance as options came as standard equipment, and the ride quality and overall refinement are a great step up. On the odd occasion when I have passengers in the back the extra room is very noticeable. General running cost items like tyres and insurance do cost more for the E than the C, and residuals on the C could be marginally stronger but if cost were the only factor we’d all be driving cheap econoboxes and not Mercedes-Benz.

Options are obviously a very personal thing but one that I’ve found incredibly useful is the Easy-Pack boot box (code B04). The boot on the W212 is cavernous but extends a long way forward and smaller items – or a few carrier bags full of groceries – can easily spread themselves to the far reaches of the boot during a journey. The Easy-Pack boot box is a classic example of MB ingenuity that delivers a wonderfully elegant solution to the problem for £160.

As Steve says, you really need to drive both and then decide.

We had a new E200 saloon parked alongside our S203 C270 yesterday - my wife commented on how big the E was, said it was too big and she would not want one for solely that reason (theoretically the S203 is "her" car, I call it the shopping trolley!).

I too have owned both the C Elegance and my current E Avantgarde. Both are great. It's probably psychological, but I always felt that I could "nip" around in the C. Whereas with the E, I feel like driving in a more "refined" way. Is that mad? (Please no responses to this question.:crazy:) This is especially true when reversing although the E doesn't feel too big. For me with long legs and when the family is in the back then the E wins. The rear seat room is very tight in the C especially behind the driver. Could be a deal breaker if your Grandchilden are tall.

An E class saloon avantgarde would be the obvious new car choice.

Test both. I've driven both 204 and 212 and would say they are very similar to drive. The seats are miles better in the C class, but I have an injured back and found the 212's seating not as good as the C's. Cabin wise, the new 204 is equally as nice a place to be as the 212 E class, if not more so. Cumbrian roads are narrow, and a smaller car is an asset down there.

Whilst the E is more luxurious, more hushed, the smaller car may be more suitable. Spec for spec, its still £500 cheaper. Elegance trim is probably what you would go for on a C.
I too have a bad back but found the E class seats much better than those in the C class. But I drove the Avantgarde which has different seats from the E class Sport. I did not like the Sport seats at all.

If you carefully match spec for spec the C and E are almost the same on price. I much prefer the E. And at the moment it comes with 'free' SatNav.

They are very similar cars in so many ways, but the E has the advantage of space, the boot and rear seat space is way, way better. In 250 / 350 auto spec there's little difference on price, but of course the entry point is where the C gets its buyers.

My C320 used cost more than a same year E320 used.

Some would say the handling is better on the C but there's not really that much difference in the outright grip. The E has a more relaxed chassis set-up which doesn't encourage hooning.

I'll probably go back to E next time.

Thanks for the advice, its all useful stuff. I've worked out the exact spec I'd like for both the C & E, and there is about £1200 in it. C250 sport 125 auto vs E250 avantagarde auto.

Without much effort, there appears to be at least 10% discounts available. All I need to do now is have a good look and drive of both. It will be a while before I get round to it, my 'local' dealers tend to have a pretty poor supply of demonstrators.

I'm minded, though, to buy an older E class, say 2005/6, to see if the larger car is just going to be too big for the Cumbrian backroads.

If it copes OK, it will be the E, if not the C.

I'm minded, though, to buy an older E class, say 2005/6, to see if the larger car is just going to be too big for the Cumbrian backroads.

If it copes OK, it will be the E, if not the C.
Do any of the dealers in your area offer extended test drives, i.e. use over a weekend? Should work out cheaper than buying a W211 to sell on again if they do. Failing that, Avis or Enterprise will rent one.

Do any of the dealers in your area offer extended test drives, i.e. use over a weekend? Should work out cheaper than buying a W211 to sell on again if they do. Failing that, Avis or Enterprise will rent one.

When I bought my C270 new I had it, a BMW 5 series and a Lexus for a weekend each. I just pointed out that I did two 200 mile trips each weekend and how my back felt at the end of the them was the key to the purchase decision. BMW were a bit reluctant, but the others were very positive.

Jon

If they don't, then I'd look further afield!

If funds allow, I would strongly recommend the current 250cdi with 7 g tronic plus auto. It's so much better than the 2005 model E. The fuel economy is excellent for such a large car and the tax disc only costs £115 per year as the CO2 output is also very low.

It seems to be better value, but slightly bigger than I need.

If the E Class is bigger than you need, then presumably you will not be uncomfortable with the lesser inside space of the C. Ask yourself why you want to buy something that is more than you need.:doh:
The E Class may be comparatively good value, but the C will be lighter and more agile on your narrow roads, more economical (a bit!), easier to park and manoeuvre. That's worth a lot IMHO.
So it may be more suitable for your particular needs.
If you can live with a bit less space, then you might be better with the C. Both great cars though...

Colin, any update re the car hunt?

Indeed, some progress. Had a look at an E, and its really just bigger than I need, or really want.

Still undecided about which engine, I rather like the 250, she who must be obeyed says a 350 will be quicker, which she prefers....

I've also noticed there are a lot of 9 month old Cs around at circa £24k.

Mercedes-Benz Retail Used Cars – Search Results

They will be pre-facelift, I suppose, but saves the depreciation hit of brand new.

Just need to find the spec I really want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom