New car deliver

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Swd80

Car
W213 E220d Premium
I've ordered a new W213 via carwow and the dealer is several hours drive from me. They are saying the delivery that's included in the price is a driven delivery, but I've asked them for a quote on a trailer delivery, as really I'd like it to arrive with me with just a handful of miles 'brand new'. I'm already missing out on being able to collect it from the showroom so I figure this is the next best thing.

What are your thoughts? What would you do?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

How many miles away is the dealer? What's the reason for you not being able to collect in person, is that something they've stipulated?

How many miles away is the dealer? What's the reason for you not being able to collect in person, is that something they've stipulated?
It's 250 miles - 4 hour drive and I just don't have the time.

I wasn't bothered about the delivery mileage and had mine driven down from Leeds by a very nice retired policeman, who handed it over in immaculate condition. Just remember to make sure the delivery miles are not deemed as 'yours' if you're getting it on any mileage-based deal.

Should've lent on your local dealer to get close to the deal and have the purchasing experience you deserve when buying a new MB.

Under cover, maybe a gift, full run through of controls etc

Someone driving the car isn't the end of the world and no doubt it'll be fine, but as mentioned, it may eat into your mileage deal if applicable and of course will increase the chance of stone chips etc.

I'll happily buy a tv, food shopping, some clothes online but still like buying cars and holidays face to face, maybe I'm old fashioned.

Why not take the train , if you drive you'll need somebody to take the other car back. When I bought my wife's "A" class from Stratford upon Avon ,(150 miles) I caught a train to the nearest station and the dealer picked me up from there and took me back to showroom , easy.

My two local dealers weren't great. One never got back to me to let me know if they could get near the pricing I'd had and the other was only prepared to quote list price.

I certainly wouldn't expect the delivery mileage to come out of my allowance and they've said most of their drivers are ex policemen.

I've looked at trains as an option but again it would take 4-5 hours to get there and then the same to drive back.

How much would a trailer delivery be in your experience? 250 miles and motorway all the way.

When we got our w212 it was delivered to the house. (Driven). I asked about trailered delivery and they (contractcars.com) quoted £2+vat per mile! :eek:

Given that the car was some 300 miles away I declined.

When the car arrived it was TOTALLY splattered in 1001 different insects :(

Not the drivers fault obviously but it was a shame that the first thing I had to do with my new car was to wash it. The mileage isn't deducted from my allowance.
So there's 300+ miles I'm not allowed to do. The good news was the driver refuelled at Gretna (4 miles from my house) and brimmed the tank. :bannana:

I have a Vito being delivered next Tuesday. I assume that will be the same outcome. I could collect it but, as with you, seems silly for me to have a day off work (self employed), pay for a train ticket to London, then probably fuel, and 4-5 hour drive home.

It would be nice to be the first driver, but not really worth the hassle.

It's a shame when cars are delivered (driven) that they don't have protective film fitted just for the journey then removed on delivery.

Looking forward to hearing about your new car and seeing a few nice pics. :thumb:

Ant.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a shame when cars are delivered (driven) that they don't have protective film fitted just for the journey then removed on delivery.

Obviously dependent on who is doing delivery, as mine was driven with protective film, seat covers etc. and the driver gave it once over with a quick detail spray 5 minutes from the house. He also offered to walk through everything in a normal handover and it had been filled up too.

Ordered through drive the deal, and supplying dealer was MB Southwest. Personally I couldn't care a less about a few hundred miles, and local dealers could get nowhere near £8K discount for buying online.

cheers, Steve

Obviously dependent on who is doing delivery, as mine was driven with protective film, seat covers etc. and the driver gave it once over with a quick detail spray 5 minutes from the house. He also offered to walk through everything in a normal handover and it had been filled up too.

Ordered through drive the deal, and supplying dealer was MB Southwest. Personally I couldn't care a less about a few hundred miles, and local dealers could get nowhere near £8K discount for buying online.

cheers, Steve

lol, my driver jumped out of the car, asked me to have a quick look, asked me to sign his iPhone, then buggered off on the bus! :crazy:

Oh, and he also said, "It flies in sports mode!" :(

lol, my driver jumped out of the car, asked me to have a quick look, asked me to sign his iPhone, then buggered off on the bus! :crazy:

Oh, and he also said, "It flies in sports mode!" :(

Was yours leased, if so, probably the difference between delivery drivers who work full time for a dealership, and those for lease companies paid on a job by job basis.

What are your thoughts? What would you do?

If it bothers you in the slightest: then I'd bite the bullet and collect it.

Moreover I'd look at going to the dealership early in the day so that if there are any issues there is some time to sort them out -or arrange a courtesy car or alternative transport home.

Do it at the weekend if getting time off is an issue. And plan a decent drive back.

My two local dealers weren't great. One never got back to me to let me know if they could get near the pricing I'd had and the other was only prepared to quote list price.

I certainly wouldn't expect the delivery mileage to come out of my allowance and they've said most of their drivers are ex policemen.

I've looked at trains as an option but again it would take 4-5 hours to get there and then the same to drive back.

How much would a trailer delivery be in your experience? 250 miles and motorway all the way.

I normally budget a minimum of £1 mile for the length of the journey there and back (so £500 for a 250 journey there and a 250mile journey back). You can get quotes from Uship and Shiply among others.

Was yours leased, if so, probably the difference between delivery drivers who work full time for a dealership, and those for lease companies paid on a job by job basis.

It's just luck.

As we've seen here in the past the dealerships sometimes employ staff who have an interesting attitude to their customers' cars.

The reality is that people hired on a job by job basis don't last if they get complaints.

It's a strange world we live in, I bet lots of customers in 'south west' get their cars from 'north east' and visa versa as dealers have a bizarre attitude to competing online and not so much face to face to their local, loyal customer base that'll no doubt use them for servicing.

It gets stranger still, once the car is delivered and the connect me needs setting up or you can't figure out how the Comand works, you visit the local dealership and ask them for help and comment that they're not especially helpful at assisting someone else's customer. The cycle continues....

Price aside, I'm sure MB would love all of their customers to get the full MB dealership experience but in reality, people are using the same dealerships (albeit across the country), buying from the same salespeople, arguing over £5 notes via a keyboard. The value of the product has almost gone out the window.

In this modern age, the only people winning out of this is the delivery men!

Sambo said:
It's a strange world we live in, I bet lots of customers in 'south west' get their cars from 'north east' and visa versa as dealers have a bizarre attitude to competing online and not so much face to face to their local, loyal customer base that'll no doubt use them for servicing. It gets stranger still, once the car is delivered and the connect me needs setting up or you can't figure out how the Comand works, you visit the local dealership and ask them for help and comment that they're not especially helpful at assisting someone else's customer. The cycle continues.... Price aside, I'm sure MB would love all of their customers to get the full MB dealership experience but in reality, people are using the same dealerships (albeit across the country), buying from the same salespeople, arguing over £5 notes via a keyboard. The value of the product has almost gone out the window. In this modern age, the only people winning out of this is the delivery men!

So true.........

E300 Hybrid

My previous car an E300 was leased and I was offered the driven delivery but I dug my feet in and insisted on a trailer delivery, I did get my way and the car was delivered and handed over at my home with no cost to me.

My current car E350 was purchased via a local dealership who did end up matching as near as damn it a CarWow quote.

I wouldn't worry about it. We didn't have time to collect my wife's new car in person but by pure coincidence I ended up following it back to mine for the last few miles. It was the most gingerly driven car I've ever seen. As for asking for that mileage to be taken off any related schemes I find odd. The car would cover the mileage from dealership to yours regardless of who drives it. They are doing you a good service by delivering it.

As for asking for that mileage to be taken off any related schemes I find odd. The car would cover the mileage from dealership to yours regardless of who drives it. They are doing you a good service by delivering it.

i didn't ask them to do that in my case, they volunteered. i was surprised, mentioned as much and the driver said it was how MBFS work for leasing.

As for asking for that mileage to be taken off any related schemes I find odd. The car would cover the mileage from dealership to yours regardless of who drives it. They are doing you a good service by delivering it.
Far too much logic in that analysis for it to be taken seriously ;)

I must admit that I find it strange that someone is willing to source a car over the phone / interweb from some dealer at the other end of the country so they can save a few bob, and only when it gets close to the time to take possession does the penny drop that somehow or another either they need to get to where their new car is, or their new car needs to get to where they are and - astonishingly - that costs both time and money :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom