New car detail advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lastfan

Car
New 2020 E Class AMG Line Night Edition Premium Plus
Returning to Mercedes after Audi, and new E Class arrives 1/9/20.

Previous ( or soon to be previous) Audi was nearly new ie less than 1000 miles but paint work had swirls and light damage which was corrected and had a ceramic done by pro - if I am honest I wasn't blown away by that pro detail, but maybe due to the car not being new and having the correction first, I don’t know.

Now with the new Mercedes, what are experiences of the new car prep at main dealers? Should I take the car as delivered with no valet/ prep and get a pro to detail from scratch ( if that’s the right term :/)

This is a real first world problem and a bit embarrassed to ask, but I don’t have time or to be honest knowledge to not “ mess it up” by doing it myself.

So my question specifically for those with new Mercedes Main dealer supplied cars - Mercedes v Pro new car detail?

Many thanks - I hope I can contribute in what looks like a friendly forum.

Hi, welcome to the forum and congratulations on the incoming 70-plate E-Class. If you are referring to the MB SupaGard paint protection package I would personally advise against unless it has been thrown in for free during your negotiations. It is essentially £30 worth of acrylic sealant applied inside and out usually by the workshop monkey in about 90 minutes.

A ceramic coating applied with proper preparation should definitely produce that wow factor. It should be done at the authorised detailer's premises in a controlled environment and not by some mobile valet service. The work of Ed at Devine Detail in Surrey is highly rated on this forum and he would be happy to advise on your requirements and could probably point you to a local firm. He charges £800 for his top-of-the-range Kamikaze Enrei coating. Here is his list of his new car detail procedure:

Devine Detail

Last edited:
If you want a proper detailing job doing, don’t let the dealer attempt it, they’ll probably add to the swirls..!

If you post up the area you’d be willing to travel to then I’m sure there’ll be a few suggestions from forum members.

Main dealer prep on a new car is variable, but in all honesty rarely catastrophic.

As @Toobad says, MB SupaGard is a waste of everyone's time, except the salesman who gets commission on it ;)

I can vouch for Ed's work at Divine Detail. He did a great job on an ex-dem E63 I bought (full paint correction and Kamikaze ceramic coating), and his rates are very fair and competitive. I'd strongly suggest giving him a call.

Can definitely recommend Ed at divine detailing. He did my C63 and the before and after was like night and day. You could visibly see the difference. Give him a call he is very knowledgeable and can advise on what you may need/options to consider

Congratulations on your new car!

Many people would see a new car detail as a waste of time and money but the face that you’re asking suggests that you see it differently.

Personally I ask that the dealer do not wash the car car as part of their new car preparation, and I take it to my detailer to take care of.

As suggested, let us know where you are and a member in your area may be able to make a recommendation 👍🏻

Thanks very much for your replies.

My thinking is that the car is only this good once and my last (current) was messed up I assume by the main dealer (Audi) Detail/ valeters but in all honesty...who knows.

You would hope delivery of a new car, especially one of the first E facelifts to be out, would get good attention at the dealer - so far they have been excellent, but I am nervous for the reasons given in your replies and from my experience.

I wouldn’t do the Supergard, been caught with an equivalent before, so really around the car preparation advice is as I suspected ask the dealer to do nothing to the paintwork prior to delivery and ask a detailer to prepare. Is a ceramic coat still the best protection applied by the pro?

I will speak to the main dealer , but suspect taking it external will be the thing to do.

Thanks v much.

Based in Hampshire.

Thanks very much for your replies.

My thinking is that the car is only this good once and my last (current) was messed up I assume by the main dealer (Audi) Detail/ valeters but in all honesty...who knows.

You would hope delivery of a new car, especially one of the first E facelifts to be out, would get good attention at the dealer - so far they have been excellent, but I am nervous for the reasons given in your replies and from my experience.

I wouldn’t do the Supergard, been caught with an equivalent before, so really around the car preparation advice is as I suspected ask the dealer to do nothing to the paintwork prior to delivery and ask a detailer to prepare. Is a ceramic coat still the best protection applied by the pro?

I will speak to the main dealer , but suspect taking it external will be the thing to do.

Thanks v much.

Based in Hampshire.
Personally I would ask that they don’t even wash the car, and leave any protective coatings (from the factory) on the car.

I refuse to let the dealer even wash my car when it goes in for service. I’m more concerned about the prospect of a wash rather than the service itself and that can’t be right :)

Brilliant advice all. Thanks so much.

Spoken to Tim at Envy Car Care and other than the PDI , will ask main dealer to leave all protective covers and coatings on and not to wash the car - all booked in with him for new car detail and ceramic coating, which will set me up perfectly .

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Looks like you are well sorted, I doubt there is more you could do to ensure an optimum paint finish for your new baby. Hope you will post up some pics of the finished job along with details of the work done and coating used. I'm sure others in the same situation would find your thread informative. Not many sleeps left now until the big day. Enjoy!

Looks like you are well sorted, I doubt there is more you could do to ensure an optimum paint finish for your new baby. Hope you will post up some pics of the finished job along with details of the work done and coating used. I'm sure others in the same situation would find your thread informative. Not many sleeps left now until the big day. Enjoy!

Thanks, I hope so. Never expected to be buying another new car so want to make the most of it :)

Car is ex factory now and arrives MB Southampton around 21st August - that will be tough knowing it is only up the road....:)

I will post pictures if you think it would be of interest, I will use this thread save starting another - the title says it all and hope it will be useful to others.

The car will go to Tim for 2 days on 2nd September.

All the best and thanks again all.

Hi, I have been detailing for 15 yrs and would never let any dealership touch a car......the difference a good detailer can make to the look of a new/old car is massive!. Unfortunately dealers get away with murder supplying cars like they do!. I have heard of Envy on detailing world I’m sure you won’t regret taking it there. Hope you enjoy the car and the detail he’s done.
Regards
Paul

Took delivery of my new facelift E220 yesterday and it went to Tim @ Envy Car Care in Gosport last night. Getting back tomorrow, but here is the before...complete with stickers and transport coverings. I have to say Mercedes in Southampton were first class, as requested other than the PDI they didn’t touch inside or out.

The car caused quite a lot of interest, it was actually, at 8.30am On 1/9 only the second one to be taxed in the UK apparently and had a steady stream of staff coming by to take a picture - being the first facelift seen.

I asked for the OASIS print out with all the details of the car journey showing it was ex factory 7/8 and arrived UK port 17/8. Originally ordered for build 1/7 so assume COVID caused the delay.

Anyway a before detailing picture - will update with process and products once I have spoken to Tim...

Attachments

• DEAED9DB-0FEA-4EDF-BADD-6A488B9DA9B3.jpeg
    DEAED9DB-0FEA-4EDF-BADD-6A488B9DA9B3.jpeg
    678.4 KB · Views: 29
Took delivery of my new facelift E220 yesterday and it went to Tim @ Envy Car Care in Gosport last night. Getting back tomorrow, but here is the before...complete with stickers and transport coverings. I have to say Mercedes in Southampton were first class, as requested other than the PDI they didn’t touch inside or out.

The car caused quite a lot of interest, it was actually, at 8.30am On 1/9 only the second one to be taxed in the UK apparently and had a steady stream of staff coming by to take a picture - being the first facelift seen.

I asked for the OASIS print out with all the details of the car journey showing it was ex factory 7/8 and arrived UK port 17/8. Originally ordered for build 1/7 so assume COVID caused the delay.

Anyway a before detailing picture - will update with process and products once I have spoken to Tim...
Looks very nice......sure you will be impressed with the work Tim puts into it!. The difference between dealer and Good detailers is night and day!.
Enjoy buddy👍

So, here you go...I took my car uncleaned and untouched by the Main Dealer as requested by Tim at Envy Car Care in Gosport ( and other members here). It did seem odd not to be pristine when we did the handover on Tuesday mooning but the Dealer listened and other than the PDI nothing was touched, down to the mats and air freshener being in the boot still all boxed and sealed.

Tim wanted the car for best part of two days - and I collected this afternoon.

So, this is what he did...
5yr Ceramic Coating New Car Detail
Envy Car Care 5yr ceramic coating protection detail, an ultimate in car protection...
Wash wheels in and out with Evolution wheel cleaner;
Foam the vehicle with Bubbly Jubbly snow foam and allow to dwell;
Rinse and hand wash with shampoo and the 2 bucket method;
Rinse and apply fallout remover to remove bonded contaminants;
Rinse and bring indoors;
Dry then clay with a clay cloth.
Measure paint thickness an then single stage machine polish;
Wipe down with Filler Killer to ensure paintwork free of polishing oils prior to ceramic coating application;
Apply the 5yr coating Sensha ( ceramic coating) and buff as per manufacturers specifications and allow to cure overnight;
Day 2 interior detail...Hoover carpets and mats and protect with SiRamik ICF, clean leather and plastics;
Clean all glass inc vanity mirrors;
Dress tyres and ceramic coat the wheels;
Apply the hydrophobic coating prior to collection

All went to plan - due to MB not touching it. Tim pointed out a high level of iron fallout presumably from a train journey from Germany.

Very happy to recommend Tim at Envy Car Care Regent Trade Park, Barwell Ln, Gosport PO13 0EQ 01329 827516

Pics...

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    128.8 KB · Views: 21
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    59.2 KB · Views: 21
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    120.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1043.png