New car for SWMBO?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Piff

MB Enthusiast
Car
Porsche Macan S
SWMBO has a new job starting in a couple of weeks time. It's only part time with contract hours of 3 half days a week, but likely to be more. She is likely to drive to park & ride site approx 10 miles from home (15 minutes) mostly dual carriageway.
She is slightly concerned about parking up the E Class and has suggested buying a small commuter car (such purchase has yet to pass management approval:rolleyes:)
Budget to be sub £5k
I would prefer as recent as possible
I would prefer sub 50k miles on the clock
Her thoughts are with Mini or possibly Fiat 500

I think such purchase should be "interesting" and cheap to run such as
Smart Roadster
Renault Wind
Fiat 500 convertible
Pergeot 207CC
Chrysler Crossfire convertible:D

Over to the panel for suggestions...................

Think it has to be a mini or fiat 500!

For info got a quote from WBAC for my wife's car last month , a 2014 Smart Passion Cabriolet ( old model ) has only 4000 miles on the clock - offer was £4 k. Have decided to keep it as it has stopped raining and sun has just come out and it is fun to drive. Has more mod cons on it than my w211

Honda Jazz. Cheap to run and fairly bomb proof. Just a bit bland to look at the earlier ones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She is slightly concerned about parking up the E Class and has suggested buying a small commuter car (such purchase has yet to pass management approval)

An abnormal household management structure?

PS Reckon the Smart roadster would do nicely, and be a bit more fun than a Fabia, Jazz etc.

Last edited:
Does it need 4 seats?

If yes, the 500c
If not, the others (try them, you'll see what I mean)

Does it need 4 seats?

If yes, the 500c
If not, the others (try them, you'll see what I mean)

thanks. doesn't need 4 seats.
trouble with trying the others is the blinkered vision

Think out the box for a moment.
Have a look at the front page of this months Practical Classics.

Honda Jazz. Cheap to run and fairly bomb proof. Just a bit bland to look at the earlier ones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A mate of mine in the trade swears by them. As you say bomb-proof.

In terms of the ones suggested I had mt heart set on an R53 Mino Cooper S for my wife until I drove one and after 100 yards realised I couldn't live with the bone crushing ride.

I then started looking at more sensible options and shorlisted either a Polo GTI (1.8 turbo - yey!) or a Fiesta Titanium (decent chassis, good fun).

But my Mrs didn't like the seats in the Polo (leather is rare, most are tartan) of the badge on the Fiesta.

Gave up and bought myself a toy instead.

For something fun , earlier SLK's can now be picked up sub two grand , so five grand ought to buy a decent/newer one .

Failing that , something sensible like a VW Up! .

If going only 10 miles to a park & ride , possibly look at a new electric car , on whichever finance deals are available . If others pay to park , there are probably free EV spaces with charge points , no road tax , no fuel costs to pay . The car would also be handy for shopping , short local trips into town , again cost free and free parking . Worth considering since it won't be the only car in the household .

For £5k you get her a cracking MIni in almost any spec you wish. There are some really great deals to be had just now. Try to avoid soft tops as the summer approaches - There value gets inflated and they don't like Park & Rides - Well the passing casual, car thief's do!!

Take a look at some of the more 'exotic' Mini's that are out there. My friends wife drives a 'Lohen' built and tuned beastie. It looks gorgeous, sounds fantastic and goes like stink or pooddles about, as you wish. The ride (as mentioned) can be hard in these things, but that is compensated for in the fun.

The ride (as mentioned) can be hard in these things, but that is compensated for in the fun.

Agree. I loved the rest of it, it just didn't work ride-wise where I happen to live (speed bump-infested London).

Great design in and out. Interesting s/c and turbo options.

I thing the MCS is one of the all time design classics.

5k buys a decent sub 50k Z4 2.5i straight six manual- still a great roadster.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

5k buys a decent sub 50k Z4 2.5i straight six manual- still a great roadster.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

If it has to be a convertible this would get my vote.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom