New car. I couldn't resist the offer. SL350

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm still waiting for the deals to become irresistible on the SL500s ..

been offered an SL63 to my spec (approx £118k) as follows:

3 years, 30k miles, no maintenance.

£2000 deposit, £1526 per month.

Sounds vaguely reasonable until you add up the 3 year cost of £57k!!

Mercedes current offer for the SL63 is £999 a month although you have put down £13,000!

If you spoke to a dealer I have no doubt those figures could be improved substantially.

Peter DLM, thanks for the ongoing update, do you think the SL350 could be a car to buy and keep? I'm seriously thinking of part x my CLS (w218) just coming to two and half years old (a superb buy for anyone on the site who are a cash/personal loan purchaser, with nothing to trade). I very much like palladium, but yet to see the new SL in the flesh in this colour, have you seen one, what did you thiink? Everything at the moment seems to be black or white, quite like your white not sure how it will age over time. Do you think buying to be a silly idea especially MB latest interest free option, but remember I'm thinking to keep the car. I wonder when all the 13 plate pe-registered cars out there at the moment will become more affordable considering the June new purchase changes MB implimented. Your thoughs would be of help, lastly do you ever think in 'normal' day to day driving you get near to the quoted 37.7 mpg. Thanks in advance for your comments.

Hey Dennis

Buying and keeping? Hmmmmm, I've never kept a car for more than a couple of years, so that's a hard one for me to comment on. I can't see why not, 3 years warranty, fresh from ground upwards model and looks that aren't due to be facelifted for 3 years at least etc.

I've seen the SL in all colours, and for some reason Black doesn't suit it at all, or Silver actually. Red does, as does White (obviously) but these are only my opinion of course. You may well like the colours I don't. The White isn't actually that 'White', if you know what I mean, like egg-shell White.....

I think buying new cars outright these days is a silly thing to do. I fully support buying outright a used car to keep, I've done this with a few cars, but for new cars then leasing/PCP has to be the way, again only mho. How long does 'keeping the car' actually mean? If it's 5 years+ than buying an ex-demo might make more sense.

No, not a chance of getting 37.7 in everyday driving. I got 37 once at the end of a motorway stint, but through town I only get 20. My car is currently averaging 28/29mpg for the last 2,200 miles of mixed driving.

I hope this is of use to you :)

and for some reason Black doesn't suit it at all, or Silver actually. Red does, as does White (obviously) but these are only my opinion of course. You may well like the colours I don't. The White isn't actually that 'White', if you know what I mean, like egg-shell White.....

agree re: silver and black, these colours hide the detail of the R231's lines, which are actually quite elegant IMO.

the new hyacinth red would be an amzing colour.

diamond white is slightly egg shellish, not pure bright appliance white like polar white (2014 colour, as is hyacinth red).

I'm lad you said that, I thought I was going mad or something. I mean, Black ALWAYS worked with SLs, right? :dk:

I'm lad you said that, I thought I was going mad or something. I mean, Black ALWAYS worked with SLs, right? :dk:

I have never liked any SL in black .. but generally not a fan of black cars and it hides subtle design details

Thanks c240 for joining in. Agree completely about silver, ie silver, a 13 plated delivery mileage silver one just sold for £52.5k thats about 20k off the advertised price!!!! Says something to me about silver. Do you both include Palladium in your silver comments. Agree with you both about black. What is about black! Everything has gone to black, headlining, interior, should call them funeral cars!

Last edited:
13 reg demos now comming on the market, Mercedes North Yorkshire issued email today. Their demo (white) 350 down to just under £59k

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

it hides subtle design details

This is so true.

The guy that had mine took the badges off and that lovely (and unique to E63 version of E Class) front wing swage all but disappeared.

The re-badge brings it back, but it's still less prominent than on silver, for example.

Just about basic. Silver with Black leather and light brushed aluminium, don't think much or any extras.

Just about basic. Silver with Black leather and light brushed aluminium, don't think much or any extras.

I've seen a totally standard SL, and it ain't pretty. No Pano roof, 18" wheels etc, but the biggest killer was the lack of AMG bodykit, it was hideous.:(

Has anyone got the ambient lighting on their SL? Is it a worthwhile option and can you actually see it at night?

I've had it on another car in the past and it was so dim you wouldn't even know it was there.

dennisbj said:
Peter DLM, thanks for the ongoing update, do you think the SL350 could be a car to buy and keep? I'm seriously thinking of part x my CLS (w218) just coming to two and half years old (a superb buy for anyone on the site who are a cash/personal loan purchaser, with nothing to trade). I very much like palladium, but yet to see the new SL in the flesh in this colour, have you seen one, what did you thiink? Everything at the moment seems to be black or white, quite like your white not sure how it will age over time. Do you think buying to be a silly idea especially MB latest interest free option, but remember I'm thinking to keep the car. I wonder when all the 13 plate pe-registered cars out there at the moment will become more affordable considering the June new purchase changes MB implimented. Your thoughs would be of help, lastly do you ever think in 'normal' day to day driving you get near to the quoted 37.7 mpg. Thanks in advance for your comments.

Have a look at my album for colours I have palladium with red.

I get 21mpg sl350

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom