New car issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

V8andTurbos

Car
MK5 Golf GTI + C63 AMG
Picked up my used a35 from Jct600 this weekend. It’s a 2019 car with 11,500 miles.
When speaking to the sales person I was told the “cars mint”. As I live 5/6 hours away I took his word for it and placed a holding deposit followed by the balance in full a week a later.

Initially I was meant to get a train to the garage to collect the car but being too far I asked them to have the car transported to stansted airport and I’d collect from there.

The car arrived pretty filthy on the transporter due to weather etc. Upon viewing I noticed one front wheel has some curbing on the lip, the two front tyres were around 60-70% worn as well. I called the sales guy and he said he refund me £50 for the wheel and wouldn’t do anything for the tyres. I wasn’t entirely happy with the outcome but I took the car and left. Spoke to his manager later that day and he claimed they don’t sell cars with tyres below 3mm and didn’t offer any resolution. I washed the car today and spotted on the paint work, mainly the bonnet and front bumper some stone chips. I’d say 10 or less over all.

Now I know it’s a used car with circa 12k miles but are this many stone chips acceptable? It’s a black car so does show signs of wear more than say white or silver.
The rest of the car is fine but the stone chips are bothering me, obv it won’t be in new condition but am I being unreasonable?

Their 14 day return policy states anything over 100 miles driven on the car since delivery is chargeable, doesn’t say how much per mile though. I’m going to call the dealer head of business tomorrow and see how I get on.. it’s fair to say I’m not being unreasonable…?

I would return the car. If it has a lot of stone chips means someone had lots of fun with it off road. And end of the day I wouldn't expect that many stone chips on a 2 year old car. I know they can most likely be polished out but it's the rough driving that bothers me.

I would return the car. If it has a lot of stone chips means someone had lots of fun with it off road. And end of the day I wouldn't expect that many stone chips on a 2 year old car. I know they can most likely be polished out but it's the rough driving that bothers me.
I don't think it implies it's been driven off road. Most used cars have stone chips from solely road use, so it's to be expected (though if the car is described as mint, that's an issue).

More likely it implies a previous owner liked to sit up the car in front's **** when they drove.

This would be unacceptable to me, when I purchased my car in August 2019, it was a March 2017 car, 10k miles it was in Bridgend, I was in London, did the deal via email and phone, got the usual pictures and video, paid the deposit, as always one doesn’t get the true picture from pictures or videos, said to the salesman as I am in London, so if there is anything negative about the car just tell me so I can make an informed decision, before I travel up, salesman did say it was mint, inside and out.

So drove up to Bridgend with my PX car for handover, but always had a little doubt in the back of mind that the car may not be the old chestnut “ mint “, and will be time wasted, but fair play to the salesman, it was mint😀, this was the first time I bought a car and did the deal blind, from such a far distance. Unfortunately buying from distance can have its pitfalls.

Like me I’m sure many people have a picture in their mind of what the car condition they expect, and if the reality is different, it becomes a let down.

Also I believe during this time where the used car market prices and demand have been strong, dealers are doing the bare minimum on prepping cars, and we are hearing stories like the op’s.

You have 2 choices, tell them if it’s not sorted to your satisfaction, you will have to reject the car, this may get the desired effect, or if they don’t play ball, and you are happy with other aspects of the car, then take it to a bodyshop and get it sorted yourself, sure it’s not ideal, but once done, you can move on and enjoy the car, and the cost will be quickly forgotten, and put it down to experience for the next time you

Sometimes it just too much hassle, especially if the dealer is so far away, and spoils the buying experience.

Hope though they do the right thing, let us know the outcome.

This would be unacceptable to me, when I purchased my car in August 2019, it was a March 2017 car, 10k miles it was in Bridgend, I was in London, did the deal via email and phone, got the usual pictures and video, paid the deposit, as always one doesn’t get the true picture from pictures or videos, said to the salesman as I am in London, so if there is anything negative about the car just tell me so I can make an informed decision, before I travel up, salesman did say it was mint, inside and out.

So drove up to Bridgend with my PX car for handover, but always had a little doubt in the back of mind that the car may not be the old chestnut “ mint “, and will be time wasted, but fair play to the salesman, it was mint😀, this was the first time I bought a car and did the deal blind, from such a far distance. Unfortunately buying from distance can have its pitfalls.

Like me I’m sure many people have a picture in their mind of what the car condition they expect, and if the reality is different, it becomes a let down.

Also I believe during this time where the used car market prices and demand have been strong, dealers are doing the bare minimum on prepping cars, and we are hearing stories like the op’s.

You have 2 choices, tell them if it’s not sorted to your satisfaction, you will have to reject the car, this may get the desired effect, or if they don’t play ball, and you are happy with other aspects of the car, then take it to a bodyshop and get it sorted yourself, sure it’s not ideal, but once done, you can move on and enjoy the car, and the cost will be quickly forgotten, and put it down to experience for the next time you

Sometimes it just too much hassle, especially if the dealer is so far away, and spoils the buying experience.

Hope though they do the right thing, let us know the outcome.

I bought mine in a similar way. I live in Lowestoft in Suffolk and the car that I had searched for many months for showed up in Whitstable in Kent. The car was just 3 years old and had covered 12,000 miles. All of the negotiations were done by Phone an Email. The difference was that I didn't view the car before completing the deal. They in turn did not see my P/X except by emailed photographs. Jason the salesman was excellent and nothing was too much trouble for him. The car was paid for prior to delivery.

Matthew, the owner of the company delivered the car in person to me FOC. The car arrived and was 'mint' as described. My old car was retailed by them and was described in their advertisement as exceptional condition throughout. Everybody happy.

Would I buy a car this way again ? I certainly would through this Dealer, Northover Cars in Whitstable. Never did I feel nervous during the negotiations even when I had paid for the car but had no car, their communications were excellent.

Bearing in mind I had spent all of my working life in the Motor Industry, the final 20 years in Fleet Disposals, seeing the car in the flesh was a priority. This was the first departure from actually viewing a car before purchase but it did work out well :)

Get a cost to repair the chips first. Send them a copy, then follow up with a phone call to see if they will cover the cost, if not say you are rejecting it. This is distance selling so their 14 day return is immaterial. I am sure someone with more knowledge will give you chapter & verse. Do not wait on them contacting you

OP, you do not mention how much you paid for it (although no matter what the price it should fit the sales description) , any chance it was an ex hire car at just 11K miles ?

So I’ve spoken to head of business and he’s said to get a quote to have the chips fixed and he’ll have a look at it and come back to me. Asked me to use a chips away rather than a body shop. Not sure how I feel about this. Anyone had any good / bad experiences with chips away? Refused to do anything about the wheel and tyres. Which i can live with, but the chips I can’t..

So I’ve spoken to head of business and he’s said to get a quote to have the chips fixed and he’ll have a look at it and come back to me. Asked me to use a chips away rather than a body shop. Not sure how I feel about this. Anyone had any good / bad experiences with chips away? Refused to do anything about the wheel and tyres. Which i can live with, but the chips I can’t..

Obviously Chips Away are considerably cheaper than a Body Shop but yes I have used them in the past and their repairs are good. It does depend on how particular you are though, but don't forget a Body Shop can c0ck it up too :)

Last edited:
booked in next week for chips away. Said it’s £50 all in for the repair. Seems too cheap to where I’m worried about the finish…

I have a really good Chipsaway near me. He will tell you whether or not to use him or a bodyshop. A few will not. Also do not use a mobile Chipsaway, go to one who has premises.
Ask Chipsaway about your wheels, he may "massage" the quote to include them, or part of them without it showing up on the quote you are submitting.

Just seen your price. That is far too cheap for 10 chips. His hourly rate is very low or the end result is ????

Where are you located? From the sounds of it, it’s a mobile unit chips away who contacted me.. can they repair polished wheel lips?

Nonsense, doesn't mean that at all. The OP says he's got maybe 10 chips,
My wife's car is 4 months old and there are about 5 or 6 stone chips on it already, I blame the state of our roads.
Stone chips never polish out either, they need filled with paint.
I've used chipsaway a long time ago(maybe 10 year), but its a franchised model, so it really depends on the operator doing the repair.
The guy did a reasonable job, but it wasn't totally invisible.
The only way you'll get perfect is to paint the whole panel, and they'll not pay for that I'd imagine.
See if what other smart repairers are available in your area.

As for the wheel, see if there are mobile repair guys in your area.
My wife scuffed an alloy on day 3 of ownership, but I was able to find a mobile repair guy.
He came to the house, took the wheel off, into his van it went, and came back out with it painted 25 minutes later.
Apparently all he does all day is travel round dealerships who get him to fix scuffed wheels, I asked him how much at the end, he said I normally charge dealerships £40 per wheel, so I just paid him that too.
Turns out he lives quite close to me, and deemed my picture an easy fix on a Friday afternoon on his way home.
He can only fix painted wheels, nothing else

Last edited:
I'm in Scotland (Dundee). My Chipsaway guy cannot repair diamond cut wheels. I asked him before about that. No, no to mobile one. Your not paying, so ensure you get a good repair, its not as though your handing the car back after a lease so your not too fussed.
They really need to see the car before giving you a price

Why don't you get a quote from a body shop, one who comes recommended, or you have used previously at least you can then weigh up your options, a reputed body shop doing the job will get a better finish, then a smart repair.

I’m going to price up a few body shops, because of the amount of chips it may end up looking worse then better being filled in.. if they refuse to have the car painted I’ll look into the rejection process.. would I have a case taking all the circumstances into consideration?
Thanks for all your help guys

From Jct600 in Boston. They sell various brands of cars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom