New car issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I personally wouldn't except smart repair especially at £50

I’m going to price up a few body shops, because of the amount of chips it may end up looking worse then better being filled in.. if they refuse to have the car painted I’ll look into the rejection process.. would I have a case taking all the circumstances into consideration?
Thanks for all your help guys
My knowledge on the rejection issue is what I have read on forums, and the consensus is that you have to give them the opportunity to put right what is deemed wrong. If they fail to do so then one can go down the rejection route, but in your case, they want to put right, albeit you paying and they reimbursing, on the cheap, which once done may not be to your satisfaction, then problems could arise with regards to rejection, as it could become a long saga.

I would have said to them, that Chips away is not satisfactory, and you wish to take It down the body shop route, otherwise you would like to reject the car, that would firmly put the ball in their court, and focus their minds a bit.

Probably paying for the body shop repair would be beneficial to them rather then a rejected car.

That’s my take on it, others may have more knowledge then I with regards to the rejection route.

@Benz17,

this is my plan. Chips away won’t do for the amount of chips that needs to be filled.

They offered me £50 on the day I collected the car for the wheel damage. I accepted stupidly. Would this affect my chance of rejecting the car or not as it’s unrelated to this stone chips..

There is another thread about similar situation but it was rear bumper he to was offered a smart repair and refused, then said he would reject the car all got sorted in the end he got a complete bumper respray

There is another thread about similar situation but it was rear bumper he to was offered a smart repair and refused, then said he would reject the car all got sorted in the end he got a complete bumper respray
On a bumper one can possibly get away with a smart repair, especially if it’s a corner scuff, I had this done, and even on close inspection couldn’t tell that a repair had taken place, possibly may not get away with the whole bumper.

Yes it’s my thinking also that once rejection is mentioned, then minds tend to get focused, not saying this would definitely happen in this case, but would hope it would do.

Op get back to them and state it’s a body shop or rejection, unfortunately because of the distance the body shop route will be more expensive for them then doing in house, but that’s their problem. Not sure what rough cost would be at body shop possible 350-£400, but that a guess on my part, others may give you a ball park figure.

is it just the bonnet, or the bumper also.

The previous repair done by MB was lifting ( not done correctly)

I wouldn’t let the dealer decide who is doing the repair. Some Chips Away franchisees may be able to repair it to a good standard but some will not, so there’s a bit of risk involved. If they don’t agree to a bodyshop repair I would be rejecting the car on the grounds of it not being as described, mint condition, which it clearly isn’t.

So following advice from here I’ll be writing an email later to say it’s either a reputable body shop or I’ll be rejecting the car. I’ll keep u updated.

Picked up my used a35 from Jct600 this weekend. It’s a 2019 car with 11,500 miles.
When speaking to the sales person I was told the “cars mint”. As I live 5/6 hours away I took his word for it and placed a holding deposit followed by the balance in full a week a later.

Initially I was meant to get a train to the garage to collect the car but being too far I asked them to have the car transported to stansted airport and I’d collect from there.

The car arrived pretty filthy on the transporter due to weather etc. Upon viewing I noticed one front wheel has some curbing on the lip, the two front tyres were around 60-70% worn as well. I called the sales guy and he said he refund me £50 for the wheel and wouldn’t do anything for the tyres. I wasn’t entirely happy with the outcome but I took the car and left. Spoke to his manager later that day and he claimed they don’t sell cars with tyres below 3mm and didn’t offer any resolution. I washed the car today and spotted on the paint work, mainly the bonnet and front bumper some stone chips. I’d say 10 or less over all.

Now I know it’s a used car with circa 12k miles but are this many stone chips acceptable? It’s a black car so does show signs of wear more than say white or silver.
The rest of the car is fine but the stone chips are bothering me, obv it won’t be in new condition but am I being unreasonable?
Hi , was this car Mercedes Approved ?

Received an email from head of business this morning, in brief it says I could have rejected the car at the time of collection - my response was 1) the car was filthy when it arrived not allowing me to examine the paint properly and 2) the car was described as being mint.. he’s asked for some quotes and pics of the damage which Is fine. He’s suggested they might contribute toward the cost of a repair or if I want to reject they’ll need to “ review whether my concerns warrant a formal rejection in their opinion “. I’ll keep this thread updated. Any further help would be appreciated

If you love the car, a bonnet respray wont cost more than 250.
Get it done and pester them to pay for it citing goodwill, brand loyalty so on and so forth and put it down to a learning exercise.
The roads are pants and disintergrating everywhere so stop chips are expected.

I'm currently going through a similar situation with a Mercedes Dealership, I inspected the car, but it seems that the front bumper had been given a coating of blue polish and lots of filler sealer to mask how bad it was, this came off with a proper decon wash and clay bar and I could then see the poor attempt I guess their wash person did with a touchup kit.
It really needs a full rub down and respray of the bumper and bonnet. This is a 20 plate 7k mile C43. I'm so annoyed I didn't give it a wipe with a panel wipe at the dealership but the last car i bought was 10 years ago, so didn't think about it. I normally buy new cars but was too late in making a decision to swap to the C43.
I have asked them if they will contribute towards the cost of repairs but have not heard back yet.

As a price guide.
A local body shop I have used in the past quoted 3 - 400 for the bumper and £700 for the bonnet as they will need to blend the paint into the wings.

I’m getting a quote today from a reputable coachworks soon. I love the car, more than I thought I would. I usually buy private and had no issues for the most part. First time I buy from a dealer I get the worst buying experience and lies. Not good

I’m getting a quote today from a reputable coachworks soon. I love the car, more than I thought I would. I usually buy private and had no issues for the most part. First time I buy from a dealer I get the worst buying experience and lies. Not good
As with all things there are good dealers and bad dealers, wouldn’t let this experience tarnish your thoughts on all dealers. Just put it in your memory bank for the next time you purchase a car.

My current car was bought from a main dealer, they were absolutely great, described the car as it was, no surprises, and at handover the condition was like new, and I’m not one for going over the top with singing praises, but MB Bridgend and Thomas the salesman made it a good buying experience.

I completely agree with you. Let’s see how they deal with the issue moving forward. Not too late for them to put this right..

Could be they are bluffing, their thoughts maybe offer you the bear minimum, as in their eyes you won’t go through all the hassle of rejection, and your heart will eventually rule your head. They may have got away with this approach with other punters previously, so for them they will try the bare minimum offer approach first, if this fails then they may do the decent and correct thing, with approving the proper repairs.

I guess it’s a game of bluff, and double bluff with dealers 😀

Could be they are bluffing, their thoughts maybe offer you the bear minimum, as in their eyes you won’t go through all the hassle of rejection, and your heart will eventually rule your head. They may have got away with this approach with other punters previously, so for them they will try the bare minimum offer approach first, if this fails then they may do the decent and correct thing, with approving the proper repairs.

I guess it’s a game of bluff, and double bluff with dealers 😀
Yep pretty much what I think they’ll do.. if they offer me a silly amount of money for the repair, I’ll give them some time to reconsider. Failing that I’ll be rejecting the, maybe consider a factory order a35 to save these issues happening again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom