New car issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
...if I want to reject they’ll need to “ review whether my concerns warrant a formal rejection in their opinion “.

If you have a statutory right to reject the car (under the Consumer Rights Act 2015), or a contractual right (part of their T&Cs), then tell them as much upfront - this will stop them talking nonsense.

A few years back I had the bonnet resprayed on my W203 (including filling-in a deep scratch) by an excellent body shop, the cost was ca £400, and they did a brilliant job (Obsidian Black).

The potential complication for the OP though is that ideally the bonnet respray should be done by an MB Approved body shop, to preserve the new paint warranty (8 years) and the anti-rust warranty (30 years).

After finding a few problems with my recent purchase I bought 'blind',i found the best result was to leave the dealer a very negative Google review, within 12 hours of it being left,I had pretty much everyone and his dog from the supplying dealer calling me to try and resolve the problems,they ended up booking it in at a main dealer where the final bill was several £k .

Definitely worth a try.

After finding a few problems with my recent purchase I bought 'blind',i found the best result was to leave the dealer a very negative Google review, within 12 hours of it being left,I had pretty much everyone and his dog from the supplying dealer calling me to try and resolve the problems,they ended up booking it in at a main dealer where the final bill was several £k .

Definitely worth a try.

I bought my present car 'Blind' but from a dealer who had had an impressive history of excellent reviews. The dealer was understandably very proud of his record. I guess I was lucky I dropped on them because I had spent many months looking for a specific colour combination, Brilliant Blue with Alpaca trim. When the car was delivered it was beyond my expectations, thankyou Northover Cars in Whitstable. :)

and 2) the car was described as being mint.
^ If the salesman described the car thus then if forms part of the contract. Best if it's in writing (an email, SMS or WhatsApp for example), but it still stands if it was verbal - its just more difficult to prove if the salesman denies making that statement. There may be an argument about what the term "mint" means, but with the young age of the car it's hard to interpret it as other than 99.9% unmarked.
If you have a statutory right to reject the car (under the Consumer Rights Act 2015), or a contractual right (part of their T&Cs), then tell them as much upfront - this will stop them talking nonsense.
See above.

I have a video of the sales man saying multiple times the cars mint. Yet he sent me a video in the pouring rain. Once the quotes have been sent over, if it isn’t resolved fairly - I’ll be leaving a bad review.. but as mentioned, for a 2 year old / 11k / 1 owner car, some stoma chips are to be expected. Not a family of them

Imo no used car is mint
Not sure, some can be, must say mine was close to mint. Where does this term mint come from, and how does it relate to the condition of a car.

Another Jct 600 car making headlines :rolleyes:

On here they have.

I got the wife's Q2 black edition from jct 600 (new) i found them quite accommodating

I think the lesson is that specific questions should be asked (by email) when buying unseen:

- are there any stone chips anywhere on the car? If so, how many, and where are they located?

- is there kerbing or other typre of damage to any of the alloy wheels?

- what make and model is each tyre, and what is the thread depth across each groove?

Etc etc.

Some sellers will lose interest, for sure... but to my mind that's the only way.

A second hand car is never perfect, granted, but as a buyer you would want to know about any defects, big or small. Then you can decide if you wish to buy it.

I've never bought a car unseen 😳 ive traveled all over and seen some right shite (mint condition) my money is the last thing to part with

I think the lesson is that specific questions should be asked (by email) when buying unseen:

- are there any stone chips anywhere on the car? If so, how many, and where are they located?

- is there kerbing or other typre of damage to any of the alloy wheels?

- what make and model is each tyre, and what is the thread depth across each groove?

Etc etc.

Some sellers will lose interest, for sure... but to my mind that's the only way.

A second hand car is never perfect, granted, but as a buyer you would want to know about any defects, big or small. Then you can decide if you wish to buy it.
These are very good points, you could possibly be correct, in that the seller/dealer may just think this type of customer is going to be a right handful, and therefore won’t be keen on doing a sale.

Also sometimes buyers do get blinded by the shiny metal, and forget to ask detailed questions, i have been guilty of this, i hasten to add, but as I said earlier in the thread, my current car has been the only car bought blind/ distance buying, didn’t ask the questions on tyre makes and stone chips, as I thought buying a 9k miles car from a main dealer,would be near perfect anyway.

But did ask other relevant questions, but lucky for me, practically no stone chips, Goodyear tyres all round with 6mm threads. But yes do take your point, will remember these questions for the future.

I’m sure many others have been guilty of assuming a low mileage car bought from a main dealer would or should be near perfect, but yes one should NEVER assume anything.

I've never bought a car unseen 😳 ive traveled all over and seen some right shite (mint condition) my money is the last thing to part with
6 or 7 years ago I phoned a dealer enquiring about a Volvo C70 convertible, he assured me over the phone that it was 'mint', which I made sure of because I was travelling 150 miles to view. I made the journey, but as soon as I saw it from 50 yards away in the dimly-lit showroom I could see that the NS/F wing was a blatantly different shade to the rest of the bodywork. Not only that, all four alloys were badly curbed. The leather interior had seen better days too. I was livid & to get rid of a very vocal me from his busy Saturday morning showroom he had to pay me my return fuel costs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom