New car - maintenance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PXW

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model 3 AWD Performance; MG ZS EV
Would appreciate a bit of collective wisdom. I'm shortly getting a new car (S212 - 350 Cdi). My objective is to keep it medium to long term.

I could just service it according to the manufacturers schedules as indicated by the electronics in the car. But some years ago, best advice was to change the oil after a running in period and to change the oil every 6000 miles/six months regardless of what the computer said.

Obviously technology has moved on significantly. What's the general view currently? Will I see a benefit in longevity by "over servicing" on the oil changes, or doesn't it make a difference any longer? Is there anything else I could/should be thinking about?

TIA

Would appreciate a bit of collective wisdom. I'm shortly getting a new car (S212 - 350 Cdi). My objective is to keep it medium to long term.

I could just service it according to the manufacturers schedules as indicated by the electronics in the car. But some years ago, best advice was to change the oil after a running in period and to change the oil every 6000 miles/six months regardless of what the computer said.

Obviously technology has moved on significantly. What's the general view currently? Will I see a benefit in longevity by "over servicing" on the oil changes, or doesn't it make a difference any longer? Is there anything else I could/should be thinking about?

TIA

I drop the oil in all my cars every 6 months regardless of manufacturers recommendations or mileage, working in the Industry I know what the oil and its additives is capable of and what its performance looks like after many thousands of miles. The service schedule on my Golf GTD is every 20,000 miles, thats madness. Sure the oil will still offer a level of protection but it won't be as good a fresh fluid.

Been doing it this way for 35 years and its served me well for very little cost

However if the car is under warranty some manufacturers have used it as an excuse to cop out of their obligations stating the correct maintenance procedure was not followed, big reports of this with BMW, so if warranty is important you probably need to consider this aspect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom