New car - Non-MB - What do you think?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have an efini rx7 type rz :)

Ooosh you went down the rotary road, very brave man haha They're fantastic cars I've been told, never had the pleasure of driving one!

Vive la difference ! ( or equivalent in Japanese) . A lot of people loved my Lorinser kitted SL R107 , a lot of people didn`t. If I drive a car that is not "standard" looking , it`s my choice . I think your car is "interesting" ( but dump the shite stickers , and keep the nail varnish).

That's it, each to their own, do what you like with your car. Haha those are not my hands bud and the shite stickers will be going, going to replace windscreen one with plain white strip. Also wanting to spray the wheels a dark bronze/gold colour soon!

Are you for real????!!!!!!

Of course I am for real. And your brand loyalty has made you blind if you can't see that.

Umm..yes otherwise he wouldn't have said it..

Me personally, I love seeing them all.. The "rice" just looks so date mean and slick, The 126 Fat as Feck.. awesome overall, a great thread.. brings back a host/raft of memories. I had one these many moons ago..

12" Laura Branigan - Self Control/ Portion of Chicken Pakora and a can of Irn Bru and this on a late Friday evening Ahh Bliss...

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/uploads/cars/fiat/2302011.jpg

Same colour too

Thanks for kind words pal! What is that mate, looks like a Fiat 128? Transverse axle on FWD like the old Saabs right?

haha yeah, that's another reason why I only drive classics, because they take me back to the good old days! (allbeit when I was too young to drive lol)

Last edited:
I'm not knocking Jap cars, I've had plenty including a Colt Lancer Turbo which was an early Group B "homolgation special", but they ain't a Mercedes. The one thing about your car though, is why no rust? Jap cars from the 60's to the 80's usually had very little to none at all rustproofing measures and not many survive as long as yours.

Japanese don't usually salt their roads, so even older imports tend to arrive clean.

I'm not knocking Jap cars, I've had plenty including a Colt Lancer Turbo which was an early Group B "homolgation special", but they ain't a Mercedes. The one thing about your car though, is why no rust? Jap cars from the 60's to the 80's usually had very little to none at all rustproofing measures and not many survive as long as yours.

Hi, possibly the age difference here. But your right. When I'm old and frail, I will probably appreciate the comfort of my Mercedes much more. But whilst I'm active and working on cars, I prefer Jap cars much more. Having said that, the standard seats in the Leopard are much more comfortable than my 280ce, however, the 280ce is much more refined drive in cruising.

Colt Lancer Turbo, now that's a rare sight!

Of course they ain't no Mercedes. 80's Mercedes were too boring to make anything like that. They had no interest in Motorsport/Rallying.

Yes good eyes rf065, previous owner kept the car relatively greased up to avoid it happening. When viewing and after seeing the condition of the bodywork, I already decided I was going to be buying it, even if the engine had blown or mechanically not right (which wasn't the case at all with only 80k miles on the clock).

After bringing it home, I did notice he missed a tiny little bit underneath right at the very end of the sills were some scabbing has started to occur. I've already dropped her off to the body shop to get it sorted asap as it's almost winter now! Due back next week. Will be wax oiling on return.

Last edited:
"Thanks for kind words pal! What is that mate, looks like a Fiat 128? Transverse axle on FWD like the old Saabs right?"

That's right take a compliment when you can, then insult the commenter Lols! ;);):D:D

Its a Fiat 132 on twin Solex down draughts similar to the Webber carb on a 2litre twin cam, had a nice sporty roar to it too.. or was that the exhaust blowing as it had rotted along with everything else ha ha! :rolleyes:

It was a rear wheel drive, no transverse axle and was the top of the range in the UK at that time.. the 128 looked like this below..

Picture-43.png

We had some fun with the 2ltr twin cams, fitting them into Lada Rivas and blowing people away at the lights as we left the car as a total street sleeper. My best one was her Uncle Charlie he always complained that his Lada was gutless and had no power.. so him & her aunt went on holiday, and I set about changing this. I got the 2ltr Twin Cam and bolted it straight in.. no mods needed, upgraded the brakes then stuck it back in his garage.. he never new that it had been changed, thought it was V Power that did it and stuck to it (had just appeared on the market).. My Missus still chuckles to this day about that..It was a total 16k mile street sleeper, Lada badges the lot..even on the interior, plastic vinyl seats and gear stick gaitor.. Man! That was fun..

P.S Dinitrol works better than Waxoyl, more expensive but a better product..

Talking of Lada' s I had one as a company car when I first arrived in Russia , complete with a driver , was not impressed although I must say with studded tyres in the winter it seemed to handle ok on sheet ice which seemed to cover the roads in winter. Never actually needed to get behind the wheel thank goodness.

“What do you think?” It’s frigging ugly. It’s different, I’ll grant you, but it’s even uglier than the women who pump poison into their lips. As they say, “Beauty is in the eye of the beholder”. Sorry, you did ask.

I like it, it looks a like a whole load o’ fun to me! Like a Sunny Super Saloon‘s big brother on ‘enhancements’!
Nissan_Sunny_Super_Saloon_1989_%2813274840323%29.jpg

Lol

Yes it’s fugly in an endearing way, which just adds to its appeal for me. Natty typical of era jap interior? Check. Oddball styling? Check. A million gizmos to go wrong? Check. A smile from ear to ear every time you turn the key? Hell yeah! Don’t get me wrong I love me Merc, but I love motoring in general, and as there are so many different types of motoring, why not see and enjoy the appreciations in them?

We like rice some days in our house, and bratwurst other days:
D8FFDEF0-2A2D-4598-B7C1-107F92AABE37.jpeg
800575F6-3B5B-482B-A5C0-FD70D4B45002.jpeg

I like the Leopard, there's a hint of the Maserati Biturbo about the overall form and styling.

To boring??

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

amg_500_sec_race_car_2.jpg

Apart from World Sportscars with the C9 (twin turbo M119, anyone?), and DTM with the 190E, of course.

LOL - DTM & World Sportscars; they had such big balls to compete in German only and European only Championships right? ... Yes. Absolutely boring.

The Skyline was so damn good, it took shit over and got banned for being too successful.

Although I was referring to offering Motorsport/Rally cars as production cars available for the general public to buy and have some fun with but since you bought it up I thought why not ey. You guys need to take off that MB-burka and see the daylight.

A company I used to work for handed them out as punishment cars (Ladas) if you didn't look after you original company car i.e clean it..

haha brilliant idea

I like it, it looks a like a whole load o’ fun to me! Like a Sunny Super Saloon‘s big brother on ‘enhancements’!
Nissan_Sunny_Super_Saloon_1989_%2813274840323%29.jpg

Lol

Yes it’s fugly in an endearing way, which just adds to its appeal for me. Natty typical of era jap interior? Check. Oddball styling? Check. A million gizmos to go wrong? Check. A smile from ear to ear every time you turn the key? Hell yeah! Don’t get me wrong I love me Merc, but I love motoring in general, and as there are so many different types of motoring, why not see and enjoy the appreciations in them?

We like rice some days in our house, and bratwurst other days:
View attachment 78873
View attachment 78874

Maybe just the generation I grew up in but I think it looks stunning. Considering it's an 80's car, the styling feels well ahead of it's time.

A million gizmos to go wrong?

Well quiet remarkably, all the electronics still work! *touches wood*. More than what most Mercedes owners can say lol. Your bang on with the rest. Nonetheless, it's a breath of fresh air to hear from someone who genuinely appreciates motoring! That's a lovely Galant VR4 wagon btw ;) .. or are they called wogon's around here?

I like the Leopard, there's a hint of the Maserati Biturbo about the overall form and styling.

Uno, I kinda see that. Kinda like a Maserati Biturbo on Slimfast. haha

Best tell the Americans that Sebring has moved to Europe. :rolleyes:

The Skyline was so damn good, it took shit over and got banned for being too successful.

In Australia.

The accusation of blinkers (I won't repeat your choice of words) against Japanese vehicles is frankly laughable given my car history. You have no idea :doh:

Last edited:
Lines of the Fiat 130 Coupe ;) I think :)

OP, its ok to raise a thread about cars other than Mercedes, there is a section on the forum for just that, but to then diss some iconic MB's in favour of the car in question is a bit below the belt. Its great that you love your car but i dont think you should be extolling its virtues by dissing some iconic MB's in the process. Just my opinion. :)

Excellent success story. Double figure finishes along with some DNF's, transmission/clutch failures etc.

Lines of the Fiat 130 Coupe ;) I think :)

Yes it certainly shares some of those flat sharp lines on both the tail and the nose. Those Fiats 130 coupes were just beautiful.

OP, its ok to raise a thread about cars other than Mercedes, there is a section on the forum for just that, but to then diss some iconic MB's in favour of the car in question is a bit below the belt. Its great that you love your car but i dont think you should be extolling its virtues by dissing some iconic MB's in the process. Just my opinion. :)

Hi flowrider99, sorry if it was of any offence to yourself. Although I may use the word 'love' to describe some aspects, I'm not 'in love' with any automobile. IMO, it's just a material item that you experience the motoring pleasure of and then if you like, you keep it in your collection, if you don't, you get rid. To others it's just the means of transport. The reason I wanted to compare the two (high end Nissan vs high end Merc of same era) is because I feel that Japanese Motor Industry has been unfairly overlooked and criticised in favour of supporting much more local markets. As a genuine motoring enthusiast who likes and dislikes cars from many different manufacturers, I wanted to bring forward this comparison so that we can remember what makes each vehicle unique and great. In some ways, we can no longer enjoy this sort of comparison due to strict regulations imposed on manufacturers which makes them all very similar and mundane to drive!

I have previously already mentioned that at cruising speeds, my 280ce feels more refined so not everything I've had to say is negative.

Not my cup of tea but if it’s yours then that’s all good :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom