NEW car options

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SGCW124

Car
W124 estate
Looks like my vernerable W124 Estate is getting to the end of its life, I'm thinking og going the ML route second hand circa 99-2001

Does anyone have any pearls of wisdom re these motors?

thanks, in anticipation

Steve

SGCW124 said:
Looks like my vernerable W124 Estate is getting to the end of its life, I'm thinking og going the ML route second hand circa 99-2001

thanks, in anticipation

Steve

Dont do it :D

Buy a w210 when they still built them in Germany rather than USA and South Africa

M class seems highly variable. People are doubtless happy and content with their vehicles but then have also heard & read stories of woe outside warranty and grumbles concerning inabilty of dealers to fix some things within the warranty period.

Honest John website give the following trouble list:

"American build quality not quite up to Stuttgart's (Austrian build better than American) and some structural build quality problems emerging, such as missing spot welds. Very tall, so take care on corners. Hideous optional external rear wheel carrier that blots out rearward vision from the interior mirror. Nothing like as good as a Range Rover off-road. Quite a few complaints from Telegraph readers about the inability of MB dealers to rectify faults. Isolated complaints of failures of 6-speed manual gearboxes fitted to 270CDI. Parts slow coming through for the steering recall. Multi section sliding steel sunroof is highly prone to failure. If the motor on one side fails, the other motor skews the panels and the whole thing seizes up and costs a fortune to fix. 5th from bottom out of 137 models in 2003 Top Gear survey. New second generation model due 2005. Cat converter casings on R to X reg prone to splitting and MB wants £1,000 each for replacements".

Did consider an M class at one point but backed away for a variety of reasons

I have a ML 320 and like it - it has full lux and family pack, I got a good deal on a w (2000) 6 months ago and have ABSOLUTLY no troubles with it....

Allot of bad press, unfaily I feel (look how many are about, must be doing something right!!!)

Go for it, good car with loadsa space and comfort, drives like a car aswell!!

SGCW124 said:

thanks, in anticipation

Steve

I had no trouble with mine at all. In fact its going on Friday as a trade-in. It was very well put together faultlessly reliable, supremely good at its job and fun to drive. Bear in mind though its not a car its a utility vehicle. It wont drive like a car or be as comfortable. If you want comfort like a car but 4x4 capabilities, then you need to look at BMW X5, New Land Rover or the forthcoming ML.

Be in no doubt at all that ML's are expensive to maintain. They eat tyres and brakes. If you have your heart set on one then get a diesel facelift. The facelift was greatly improved over the pre facelift model. The finish is better and the styling a bit more up to date. The first facelifted ones are on 51 plates. Basically look for the indicators in the mirrors, if its got them, its a facelift. Diesel ones hold their value much better than petrol ones and are cheaper to run. Get one with as many extra's as possible as this greatly helps resale value. Family pack (7 seats, opening rear quarter lights and safe under the seat) adds £1,000 to trade-in values. Lux pack and auto are a must if you ever want to sell it on again.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Satch said:
M class seems highly variable. People are doubtless happy and content with their vehicles but then have also heard & read stories of woe outside warranty and grumbles concerning inabilty of dealers to fix some things within the warranty period.

Honest John website give the following trouble list:

"American build quality not quite up to Stuttgart's (Austrian build better than American) and some structural build quality problems emerging, such as missing spot welds. Very tall, so take care on corners. Hideous optional external rear wheel carrier that blots out rearward vision from the interior mirror. Nothing like as good as a Range Rover off-road. Quite a few complaints from Telegraph readers about the inability of MB dealers to rectify faults. Isolated complaints of failures of 6-speed manual gearboxes fitted to 270CDI. Parts slow coming through for the steering recall. Multi section sliding steel sunroof is highly prone to failure. If the motor on one side fails, the other motor skews the panels and the whole thing seizes up and costs a fortune to fix. 5th from bottom out of 137 models in 2003 Top Gear survey. New second generation model due 2005. Cat converter casings on R to X reg prone to splitting and MB wants £1,000 each for replacements".

Did consider an M class at one point but backed away for a variety of reasons

These comments above relate to the pre face lift model.

dont do it, get the 2002 model or later, the first generation of ML's were crap and will always be crap! they do not deserve the mercedes star!! i am speaking from experiance, i had one, i could only stand it for 3 months... got a ford instead but still have my w202 :)

If you’re after a 4x4 go for a new shape shogun (post 2000).

I’m a farmer (well we used to farm) I have two shoguns a 93lwb and a 54lwb both in green. Shoguns are simply the best 4x4’s you can buy if you require more comfort from a 4x4 then a defender (we have 3 defenders dating back to the 1950’s) offers. As standard you get the absolutely fantastic “super select 4wd” with rear diff lock and excellent ground clearance this is how to make off roaders.

Lwb models seat up to seven passengers easily and still a little room for luggage. Gls or elegance models are high spec cars, my elegance has the following as standard: cruise control, leather electrically adjustable and heated seats, moon roof , sat nav, 10 disc cd and so much more and it also has Super Select 4WD with electronic transfer shift with active stability & traction control system, my mate has recently sold a 3.2 GLS 5d Auto 2000 for circa 14k.

My old one doesn’t even go on the roads any more (runs on red derv) and I can honestly say if you get stuck in a shogun you need a tractor.

As for the new one I use it all the time both around town and on the fields and it is truly at home on and off road it, not very fast but when on the motorway I tend to put the cruise on at 70 and happily coast along. We don’t use it for family outings as we have a choice but if we didn’t I would be happy to use it on long runs. Both shoguns have done Alton Towers with 5 kids in the back that’s over 3 hours each way for us and I don’t have a problem with the journey.

The model post 2000 is far better on road then the pre 2000 models but both are equal off road. Mitsubishi made the new model much more town diver friendly less wobble at speed. And the reliability is legendry.

Writing this has made me realise that if the shogun we brought in 93 was as good as the new one on-road I would never have bought my eclass.

Do your self a favour and book a test drive I promise you won’t be disappointed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out this website....

http://www.nagele.co.uk/ml320/

It is excellent website telling you all about the problems some people have had with MLs.....
I know you can't tar every ML with this brush but its just a source of information for you...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom