New car order (Command online) and dealer issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hk7

Car
2012 E220D Coupe
Hi guys, would like a bit of advice regarding my new car order (E coupe) and lack of info from my dealer.

A bit of background info, I originally ordered the car at the end of May but then heard of the Edition 125 and that Command was available at a heavy discount.

So I instructed my dealer to delay the order and get me a ed125 slot. This took the dealer 2 months to sort out and he could only get a build slot for end of Oct delivery (i.e. a 3 month wait!). Ok I can bare with the wait.

Over the last few weeks I have been trying to get in an update from the dealer to make sure all was ok.

Thus far I had only got one update since the order was placed and everything seemed ok. So i try for another update last week and when I finally got hold of him he said that Command was missing but he would sort it out.*

Another 9 days of him not getting back to me, I get a call saying that Command is currently unavailable and wont be until end of Nov for Dec delivery.

So do I hold out for the Command online? Or settle for Nav20 and £785 discount?

Also am I right to be disgruntled with the dealer as I would have expected him to be in touch as soon as he realised the order was incorrect?

I would them them that I would wait for the comand to be fitted and because of their lack of communication and bad customer service you want it for free.

Hi guys, would like a bit of advice regarding my new car order (E coupe) and lack of info from my dealer.

A bit of background info, I originally ordered the car at the end of May but then heard of the Edition 125 and that Command was available at a heavy discount.

So I instructed my dealer to delay the order and get me a ed125 slot. This took the dealer 2 months to sort out and he could only get a build slot for end of Oct delivery (i.e. a 3 month wait!). Ok I can bare with the wait.

Over the last few weeks I have been trying to get in an update from the dealer to make sure all was ok.

Thus far I had only got one update since the order was placed and everything seemed ok. So i try for another update last week and when I finally got hold of him he said that Command was missing but he would sort it out.*

Another 9 days of him not getting back to me, I get a call saying that Command is currently unavailable and wont be until end of Nov for Dec delivery.

So do I hold out for the Command online? Or settle for Nav20 and £785 discount?

Also am I right to be disgruntled with the dealer as I would have expected him to be in touch as soon as he realised the order was incorrect?

Due to their mistake I would seriously consider cancelling the order and buy a 3 month old ex demo but whatever you do don’t let them fob you off, I’m having some problems with a brand new car that I have just bought from Mercedes they really have lost their touch.

I would them them that I would wait for the comand to be fitted and because of their lack of communication and bad customer service you want it for free.

Sweetpea is right if you moan enough you will get it for free, I was offered free carbon fibre trim because my car arrived not as described and I moaned like hell.

My experiences with my local MB dealers are that they will ignore you and hope you go away. They will fail to take your calls and fail to call back, even when by accident you do get through the the "salesman" who is meant to be dealing with your complaint he will assure you that he will update you shortly but then forget all about you until you try to get in touch for an update at which point the merry go round begins again.

David

At this point I think I'd go to the dealer and politely but firmly cancel the order.

Their job is to order cars - really - all they have to do is order the car with the correct list of items.

There are plenty of other dealerships avaialble that will bend over backwards to take your order, why put up with shoddy service?

I would agree with all the above and that you should get this sorted out plus a goodwill gesture. If this dealership can't deliver then you'd think there would be plenty who would be glad of the order.

When I got my E-Coupe in early September the COMAND with the single disc CD player was available but not the COMAND version with the multi-disc CD player so not sure if this is causing the confusion.

In my view COMAND is a big part of the car and at the price of 785 is well worth it. I also think it will greatly aid future resale.

Good luck in getting this sorted out.

I would go to the dealership after having checked out the online brokers, with the intention of looking them in the eye whilst cancelling. This normally works wonders, you will be amazed what you can get. I have only failed once.

Being really hacked off is the secret and you have to make sure you tell it as it is, no being all British.

I had delays when I ordered from my dealer that meant I missed a pick up slot in Stuttgart. To compensate they offered me a 1/2 day AMG experience at Brooklands - which I took. Maybe your dealer can do something similar for you.

As to Comand Online - it's great. Full postcode etc. Routes really quickly. 3D mapping for major cities is really good. It's a great extra and worth having.

ROBB71 said:
I would agree with all the above and that you should get this sorted out plus a goodwill gesture. If this dealership can't deliver then you'd think there would be plenty who would be glad of the order.

When I got my E-Coupe in early September the COMAND with the single disc CD player was available but not the COMAND version with the multi-disc CD player so not sure if this is causing the confusion.

In my view COMAND is a big part of the car and at the price of 785 is well worth it. I also think it will greatly aid future resale.

Good luck in getting this sorted out.

Totally agree - Comand is a major part of the car. Wait for it or get a nearly new, but don't compromise you will regret it later.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

The dealer is going to phone me tomorrow once he's been in touch with MB direct, and talk me through the options I have.

I will most certainly voice my displeasure at the lack of communication etc. Buying a brand new car (my first MB) was meant to be exciting but my experience thus far has been the total opposite :( Not what you except from a world leading car manufacturer.

At the moment I am leaning towards pushing for compensation/goodwill and holding out for COMAND, especially as I have waited so long any way.

I will post an update tomorrow.

Have to say my local MB dealer was worse than useless. Never called me back, never delivered on anything they categorically promised they would - even a few hours previously. I leased in the end.

Only issue I have to use them for the servicing. I wish I didn't have to. Such a shame to be let down by useless salesman and after sales service.

I brought a new MB back in December and has been nothing but problematic.

I believe the root cause of the issues is that the after sales services between MB and the dealers is none existent and what causes the issues that people mention in this thread.

What was funny they a huge poster in the garage saying they how well the MB brand was doing! I think it was second behind Apple. I almost laughed sitting at the salesman's desk.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

The dealer is going to phone me tomorrow once he's been in touch with MB direct, and talk me through the options I have.

I will most certainly voice my displeasure at the lack of communication etc. Buying a brand new car (my first MB) was meant to be exciting but my experience thus far has been the total opposite :( Not what you except from a world leading car manufacturer.

At the moment I am leaning towards pushing for compensation/goodwill and holding out for COMAND, especially as I have waited so long any way.

I will post an update tomorrow.

The best course of action in this case I would say. The Command is a great option to have and if you are buying privately then also a consideration on resale.
Ed

Have reread the original post, strikes me there is something odd going on here.

There was clearly a huge push to get orders for build in September, I was still being offered a September build slot on 15th September!

The lack of Comand units is also a red herring and not true as I have seen the notice issued to dealers that yes they are running short which is why the last build slots for 125 being offered were supposed to be end of October, now plus a bit, I am decade 1 November.

Certainly I understand that they are all being used for production which makes you wonder, did they not cancel the order and now have the car waiting to go and they were hoping to just put in the Comand to make it a 125 and you wouldn't notice? But now have come unstuck as they can't get the Comand units.

Quick update - I phoned the dealer yesterday and he explained that my car was on a 'critical' list that all dealers receive once a month notifying them of cars that have missing specification.

I asked why this was not communicated to me as soon as and he blamed the dealership admin staff, the person in question has apparently been fired since. (Don’t think I’m gullible enough to believe that but what can you do).

He also added (to try and comfort me I guess) that COMAND is currently unavailable across all models (C, E etc) and that you can not at the moment order the C in the sport guise, no good to me though as it doesn’t really help me at this stage.

He said he will get in touch with MB as soon as and see if/when I will be able to have COMAND fitted to my order, but typically I have not heard from him as of yet.

I then sent him a firm email confirming the contents of our call and also stating my disappointment at the whole situation and that I would definitely be looking towards some sort of goodwill/discount if I am to hold on to the order. No response to that either so far.

I will be giving him a ring tomorrow and see how the situation has progressed.

He also added (to try and comfort me I guess) that COMAND is currently unavailable across all models (C, E etc) and that you can not at the moment order the C in the sport guise, no good to me though as it doesn’t really help me at this stage.

I don't get this - Comand unavailable on cars...No C Class in Sport!! Is MB in freefall??:dk:

I don't get this - Comand unavailable on cars...No C Class in Sport!! Is MB in freefall??:dk:

Yep due to part shortages apparantly, for such a big marque to have such extensive supplier problems seems unreal.

What mercedes dealership is this?
MB Southampton. I live in Bedfordshire but I was happy to deal with a dealership such a distance away because they were recommended to me by a friend (he knows a manager there). Can't say im too happy now however :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom