New car order screwed up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kikkthecat

MB Enthusiast
Car
2011 Viano 2.2 CDi Ambiente
So I ordered a new Viano back in March and was given dates of a June build and July delivery.
Initially I chose some "must haves" (colour, leather colour, electric rear doors and rear air con) and was given the understanding that I had plenty of time to add things or amend the spec. I had spoken to him 2 or 3 times and was assured I had until the end of May and he would contact me.
Monday 23rd I got a text message from the salesman.
Mercedes Benz West Yorkshire.
Hi Ray, Don't forget this is your last week to change the spec of the Viano.
Regards
Salesmans Name.

My reply was "I'll be in at 13:30 tomorrow"
So... In I went at 13:30, fully prepared with the brochures and price list. I had plenty of time since March to make decisions and knew exactly what I wanted. Things like Parktronic, upgaded alloy wheels and another 6 or 8 extras that I wanted. We went through everything adding it to the order and pricing it up. It took maybe 30/40 minutes.

2 hours later I got a phone call from him saying the order has already been placed and no amendments can be made. So I'm getting my initial "must haves" and nothing else, a basic spec car.
This puts me between a rock and a hard place.
My current Viano is well over 4 years old, 220000 miles and is coming to the end of it's working life.
If I reject the new one, assuming I can, I have to wait another 6 months for another. If I accept it, I'm going to hate it every time I get in it because it is not what I want.
The dates I have been given are build date 01/06/2011 date at port 11/07/2011 and delivery to dealer 15/07/2011

Help and advice appreciated.

I think I'd be tempted to cancel and order a new one that DID meet my specification. The dealer has failed to keep you fully informed. That being said, you did have from March to date to inform them of your specific requirements - why wait until the last minute?

As above with so many changes you wanted to make wait why wait till a week before the build date!

Seems slightly strange. When did you first place the order and why did you not spec the car there and then or within a couple of days?Then all this might have been avoided? Is it possible that some of the component shortages we have heard of recently mean they can only produce basic spec viano's at the moment and this is their way of keeping demand going? :dk: I would be asking MB UK for clarification.

I know exactly where you are coming from as I am also being messed around at the moment with an order for a new E Coupe.

I was given a similar build date to you and then told just over a week ago that the paint is not available until September or October. There are also problems with supplying Comand.

The impression I am getting is that Mercedes are in a complete mess at the moment with supply issues. I am sure that this is what has contributed to your problem.

If the dealer cannot supply what you ordered then you are free to cancel the order and ask for your deposit back.

I have given my dealer two weeks to give me a definitive answer as to whether the car can be supplied or not. If not then I will cancel my order and look at another manufacturer.

This would have been my first Mercedes having always owned BMWs in the past and to date I am not all impressed. I have never had this sort of nonsense when buying a car before. Delays of 6 months or so are not acceptable.

Waiting till the last minute isnt the issue here, it might be at the very last minute, but still WITHIN the time limit.

As above , the salesperson DID say you had until the Ned of May to finalise spec . Since he texted you saying you were in your last week ( keep that text ) and actually tried to process your requirements , all shows you are not at fault .

How many of the options could be retrofitted by the dealer ? Alloys would be easy enough , don't know what else we are talking about . Since they have messed up , put it to them that they retrofit all your options on delivery , at the price you would have paid ordering the car from the factory with them .

If they can't/won't do this , cancel and reorder elsewhere . Or , if so inclined , reorder from them and ask for a free service on your existing car to help keep it running for another six months until the new one comes .

Jules - Aren't paint and COMAND availability problems down to a tsunami? Whining about the lack of a gizmo and reduced colour option while the Japanese are still looking for the factory strikes me as a tad inconsiderate.

As for the OP, cancel and start again?

If it is due to the tsunami , then perhaps not much can be done .

However , I'm reading the original post as someone in the dealership submitted the order before it was finalised .

If that is the case , and the extras are things like alloys , parktronic and suchlike - perhaps the dealer could retrofit these items since they are at fault ?

Jules - Aren't paint and COMAND availability problems down to a tsunami? Whining about the lack of a gizmo and reduced colour option while the Japanese are still looking for the factory strikes me as a tad inconsiderate.

As for the OP, cancel and start again?

I completely accept that the problems in Japan are beyond their control.

However, what has annoyed me is that I had it confirmed in writing that my specification had been accepted and then at the last minute I was told that it wasn't.

This poor and inaccurate information is completely down to Mercedes. If they know that there are parts issues then they should be up front about it and tell customers that there will be delays. The customer can then make an informed decision whether they wish to wait or not. What I suspect has happened to me and the OP is that they knew all along that there would be problems and have not been honest about it for fear of the orders being cancelled.

kikkthecat

david wager at mercedes redhill says you can have one to your spec for july.

His number is 01737 770 404

think about cancelling your order and he will help.

just mention convo with Dillan..

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Jules, fair enough, merc should know and make clear which options are available.

I suppose there might have been a period where it was difficult to know which products were iffy to source and the dealers may have been under-informed.

I would be tempted to give the dealer a pass on that one.

Last edited:
Jules, fair enough, merc should know and make clear which options are available.

I suppose there might have been a period where it was difficult to know which products were iffy to source and the dealers may have been under-informed.

I would be tempted to give the dealer a pass on that one.

Thanks, I have every sympathy with those in Japan who have been affected.

I think it is poor communication to the dealers. My salesman has told me that he is finding it very frustrating that he keeps having to inform his customers that there are problems with their orders.

When I got a car before, I was told I could have it quicker if I didn´t have the sunroof. I insisted on all my options and waited for it, I also had the view that it wouldn´t have been sitting in a field for a few years that way. I´d hold out for what you want,it will only irritate you later otherwise.

Ray; get what you want. You have to sit in it each and every day so you don't want to be looking around it cursing under your breathe because options are missing.

Ray,

I agree with Matt. wait and get what you want.

That said, I would change dealer. They are only interested in metal moving, not customer service.

I changed the spec on my car several times and was told it needed to be confirmed 30days prior to build so had plenty of time to make changes, which I did.

The argument is a bit "you said, we said". In my view, you need to order what you want. If they have misled you, or indeed, what to blame you, cancel the order and insist on getting what you want. They will either find a way, or you will have to wait. Either way, getting something which you don't want is pointless.

if the current one has made 4 years, it should manage a few more months.

As above, get the vehicle you really want.

We had to wait 5 months for the Vito as they were limiting the number of V6 engines supplied to that plant :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom