New car ordered!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkP80

Car
ML350 Grand Edition
Well, after weeks of thinking about it, we've finally ordered a new car for MrsP :bannana:

I've been working away a lot, so she's only had the SLK available to use, which has been a bit of a nuisance at times in terms of practicality. So, it had to go unfortunately. What a time we've had trying to find something to replace it with that she really liked. The SLK was a bit of a hard act to follow, and we didn't restrict the search to MB by any means.

Anyway, an ML350 Grand Edition is on its way, due in a couple of weeks, in Diamond White. She's very happy! :D

Cheers,
MarkP

I too may have to order a new car for Mrs. X now that I have a new W212. She now wants a new car as well!!!! Some people as so difficult to please..... Anyway, I am thinking about an ML and would be interested to know what colours/spec you chose in the end. Which options did you consider essential/necessary? Thanks

Anyway, I am thinking about an ML and would be interested to know what colours/spec you chose in the end. Which options did you consider essential/necessary?
- Hi, We ended up ordering the Grand Edition which to be honest has most of the toys on it that she wanted. She particularly liked the leather interior on this model, to which it is exclusive, so for her it had to be this one! The seats are black leather with sahara beige piping and they look really smart. Also, the dash is covered in Artico artificial leather with contrasting stitching and again looks really smart.

She went for Diamond White metallic paint. Her last two SLKs have been Obsidian Black so she wanted a change and isn't keen on silver. The white really makes the car stand out, so I'm sure it's not for everyone.

In terms of extras, as I say there's a lot as standard on the Grand Edition which she would have wanted - reversing camera, heated electric seats, self-opening/closing tailgate. It also has COMAND as standard, along with bi-xenon headlamps and rather nice 20" alloys plus quite a lot of other stuff. The only extra over and above standard which we ordered was the memory package. I was also interested in heated windscreen washers for the winter, but there was nothing available in the UK and I didn't want to start looking at factory order.

So for us, the Grand Edition was the only option as MrsP wanted that interior, but to be honest, as far as we were concerned the extras that came with that package were well worth the premium.

Hope that helps,
MarkP

I think white may be all the rage now but I think the tide will soon turn.

Slab sided 4x4's in white look horrid IMO.

Especially when you tint the windows - yuk!

Pimp my ride!

Especially when you tint the windows - yuk!

Pimp my ride!

As long as it doesn't end up looking like a stormtrooper's helmet..

P100918_162745.jpg

I think white looks good on the ML, and it's not so slab sided as many SUVs.

I did think there was a problem getting hold of cars in metallic white at the moment - I'd be interested to know what kind of deal was obtained on the car?

Yes, white is all the rage today especially with the younger set. The fashion may be with us for awhile. It's about time for a change from black and silver.

I did think there was a problem getting hold of cars in metallic white at the moment - I'd be interested to know what kind of deal was obtained on the car?
Rory,
Colour was a deal-breaker for us on this one. As the dealer didn't have what we wanted in stock, they went on the database to find it. They fpund a car which was already built and on its way to the UK via Zeebrugge, not a factory order, but allocated to a different dealer. Our dealer then had to negotiate with the dealer this one had been allocated to, which was apparently not straightforward, but it is now secured. Due to take delivery next Saturday, we're looking forward to that.
I'll post a pic when we get it, to see what all you naysayers think!
Cheers,
MarkP
(Just back from hols, hence didn't reply sooner)

That's my sort of car - I'm green and you have upset me for the day. For practical reasons, I wouldn't go for white, but I admit it does look good. I saw a Grand Edition in a showroom recently and with all that exclusive leather it was very tempting. Those wheels!!
With a new model round the corner, I would normally be cautious about buying a car about to go out of date, but having seen the new offering I think the current model is a nicer/better bet. Could be very tempted if there are good deals around just before the new one arrives...

Re the foregoing - is there a recession around here somewhere or did I miss it?

For practical reasons, I wouldn't go for white
- I'm surprised you say that, when I see your current ML is Obsidian. Do you not find that's a devil to keep clean? MrsP's SLK is black, and it looks clean for about the first 30 seconds after I've washed it! I'd take a lot of convincing to get a black car again!

With a new model round the corner, I would normally be cautious about buying a car about to go out of date, but having seen the new offering I think the current model is a nicer/better bet
- Me too, but I suspect that to spec a new model to the same level of equipment as the Grand Edition would see a significant price hike.
I think there are good deals to be had, but the dealer did tell me MB were running down production to avoid having lots of unsold cars around when the new one is for sale. Could have been giving me a line, but he did say MB have been caught out before. I think he said it was the C Class when they had to pre-register a lot of unsold cars, and that it cost MB a lot of money.
It would be interesting to see what the answer would be if you asked to factory-order one to your personal spec.
Cheers,
MarkP

Last edited:
- I'm surprised you say that, when I see your current ML is Obsidian. Do you not find that's a devil to keep clean? MrsP's SLK is black, and it looks clean for about the first 30 seconds after I've washed it! I'd take a lot of convincing to get a black car again!
Cheers,
MarkP

True, I have heard a lot of people say that about black, but I have had a number of black cars and never had a problem. With white though (and I have had a few), every mark shows immediately. With black, you can get away with plenty of marks and run fairly dirty without it being so obvious. Just my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom