New car time - E55K AMG talk

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Abdul

Car
C63
Hey guys,

Long winded post this..

Only had my '01 CLK55 for a short while but tbh I want something newer with a sharper drive (I hate the W208's steering with a passion).

So, I have a budget of 10k.

Short list is pretty simple;

W211 E55K - Super rocket ship, always loved these, I realised how quick they are when one hammered me in my CLK55 like I wasn't even trying.

C55 - Seems very expensive when a W211 is only a couple grand more.

E46 M3 SMG - Drivers car, a car I've wanted for as long as it's been out but getting a bit common now among the wrong types.

Whatever I buy has to be auto so the wife can pop to the shops in it (she nearly talked me into a Golf GTI DSG :crazy:).

So, how bad are E55 running costs? I don't mind buying one with up to 100k on the clock but my budget of 10k is pretty firm.

I understand the C55/M3 running costs aren't too different to my current CLK so no worries there.

Really the E55K is the dream car of the bunch and I don't mind niggles like keyless go not working (assuming the normal key still works). I don't care for fancy spec like distronic etc as long as it has heated seats and sat nav.

It's the mechanical woes that worry me; SBC, torque converters, Valeo related issues and worst of all the air struts.

So, how bad can it get and what are annual maintenance costs like?

I only do about 3-4k per year if it makes a difference.

I'm pretty sure a W211 will be out my budget in terms of running it even with man maths but I gotta be sure there's no way before going for either of the other two lol.

Thanks guys

Last edited:
You should get a nice fairly late plate for that budget -and you should avoid Valeo issues as a result - try and get a 54 with mesh above the centre air vents and 200mph speedo.

I think the M3 can have some fun (and expense) with SMG II - it's not an old school slush but a manual with automatic clutch. That said, the handling is excellent and it is a fine car overall - but it can be beaten fairly easily with an E55 as I know from experience (they are well down on torque and running 343BHP).

I've not found E55 running costs to be too bad when comparing to my previous Saab. Servicing is not too bad but the bills go up when you have to replace bits of the car or something like the airmatic or SBC pump gives up. Engine and TC are pretty strong so with good history - you should be OK there. Anything with 'AMG' stamped on it is not cheap but being used to buying parts for a Saab - I wouldn't say the Merc is that bad.

I think TDE1 is selling his - a nice late black 55 plate.

Your mileage will mean your fuel bill is probably going to be around £100 > £150 per month depending on how you drive - as your mileage is half mine and that is what I spend with a mix of driving.

Thanks bud.

Fuel really doesn't bother me at all. I just don't do the miles for it to be an issue. Can't be much worse then my CLK anyway.

Other then outright speed how does it stack up compared to a C55 in terms of the drive?

Regarding the M3, it's an option but I don't think ill really enjoy revving the nuts off it all the time like I maybe would've when I was a bit younger. I quite enjoy the stupendous mid range torque of the AMG lumps. Oh and they sound like sh*t in a tin can amplified which is the biggest put off.

Like I say I'm just stuck between the C and E really. It's down to the cost of replacement parts that are the main factor for me.

I'm just afraid that one big bill (sbc or airmatic) could put the car off the road for a bit. I don't drive much but I also hate not having a functioning car lol.

Is anyone able to tell me the cost of disks and pads on the E55? If they're into 4 figures that alone will tell me I can't afford to run the car lol.

Thanks guys

I had the same dilema but went for a very tidy C55 in the end. The bit that swayed me was the niggly issues as it drives me nuts if something doesn't work and the E55 seems to have lots of that especially with plenty of toys lol. Also at the time I couldn't find the spec I was after and it was too long for my garage. So the sensible part of me talked myself out of getting one.

So drove the C55 and must admit fell in love with it. I like the exclusiveness of it in comparison to an M3 and its such a simple car to work on and live with. I also find the C class is a much nicer looking car in the flesh than and E and there isn't a million and 1 electrical toys to go wrong. Its a much nicer car to live with then an M3 and faster in a straight line also but surprisingly nimble for a high powered RWD car.

Its the only car that gives me the same feeling as my MK2 Golf GTI 16V from many years ago just that sheer grin factor on a spirited B road drive shoved along by a glorious V8.

Ask anyone that has an E55 and they will tell you the reason they still have it is that its almost impossible to find something to replace it.

Yes there are issues that can be expensive - but there are with most cars. But there is nothing like the instant response and pull of the E55K - the compressor becomes very addictive. The pick up is insane, and the power delivery absolutely seamless. Carry four of five people and their luggage hundreds of miles in silky smooth comfort, or change the suspension settings with one press of a button and at the dab of the throttle, turn it into an animal.

Seriously there is nothing like it. If you can find one with a good service history through contacts on here or through careful research - buy it :)

The E55 is quicker in a straight line, the C55 handles better, both really good cars, servicing etc would be similar, the E will only be more if something goes wrong-airmatic etc.

Perfect quote + there are endless possibilities for tuning and more V8 exhaust 'grunt' :)

Ask anyone that has an E55 and they will tell you the reason they still have it is that its almost impossible to find something to replace it.

Yes there are issues that can be expensive - but there are with most cars. But there is nothing like the instant response and pull of the E55K - the compressor becomes very addictive. The pick up is insane, and the power delivery absolutely seamless. Carry four of five people and their luggage hundreds of miles in silky smooth comfort, or change the suspension settings with one press of a button and at the dab of the throttle, turn it into an animal.

Seriously there is nothing like it. If you can find one with a good service history through contacts on here or through careful research - buy it :)

Other then outright speed how does it stack up compared to a C55 in terms of the drive?

Regarding the M3, it's an option but I don't think ill really enjoy revving the nuts off it all the time like I maybe would've when I was a bit younger. I quite enjoy the stupendous mid range torque of the AMG lumps. Oh and they sound like sh*t in a tin can amplified which is the biggest put off.

Like I say I'm just stuck between the C and E really. It's down to the cost of replacement parts that are the main factor for me.

I'm just afraid that one big bill (sbc or airmatic) could put the car off the road for a bit. I don't drive much but I also hate not having a functioning car lol.

Is anyone able to tell me the cost of disks and pads on the E55? If they're into 4 figures that alone will tell me I can't afford to run the car lol.

Thanks guys

I've never driven a C55 so I couldn't comment on the drive comparison.

The M3 does need more revving certainly whereas the E delivers lots of torque low down (especially once the supercharger engages) - it is effortless albeit irrelevant now you've ruled it out.

I doubt there is a huge difference when comparing the cost of parts between the E and the C but I don't know for sure.

The SBC pump new is £1600. The airmatic really depends on what goes wrong but isn't cheap.

I think the front and rear discs and pads altogether is the thick end of a grand - but with the mileage you are doing - you are unlikely to need to change them often.

I started with new front discs and pads negotiated into the deal, and in 2 years and 4 months, I've had new front pads again and rear discs and pads, and that is it, and I do twice your mileage. That includes 2 Vmax days (stopping from 170mph about half a dozen times on each occasion).

I have never driven an E55K surprisingly, but I have owned a C55. It is certainly a simpler proposition mechanically and quite fast enough for my purposes, but I have owned a Bentley Turbo R and a C32AMG, and let's be frank, shoving a turbo or a supercharger on an already potent engine creates one of the most immense waves of torque you will ever experience on a road car. Add in the comfort, space and more civilised nature of an E over a C class and it is frankly un-equalled as a package except by something like an Alpina B5 - which are not exactly available in large numbers.

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the replies.

Temptation has risen tenfold!

I need to check on Monday how much insurance will be with my Mrs on the policy. All being well I'll start my search after Ramadan finishes (in about a month).

I'll be after a black/dark blue example, ideally I want something that's had some of the big spends taken care of ie brakes/sbc etc.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I can't wait to start the search!

Btw, does anyone know if warranty direct etc cover airmatic/SBC or will they flag up as wear and tear items? If so, I'm better of saving that 1k I guess!

Cheers :) :) :)

Btw, does anyone know if warranty direct etc cover airmatic/SBC or will they flag up as wear and tear items? If so, I'm better of saving that 1k I guess!

I had a payout for one front strut, cannot remember who I was with at the time and the Mercedes dealer was excellent and did a great job explaining that it was an internal failure so as such not a leak.

I don't think any of them cover leaks so it can be a grey area.

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the replies.

Temptation has risen tenfold!

I need to check on Monday how much insurance will be with my Mrs on the policy. All being well I'll start my search after Ramadan finishes (in about a month).

I'll be after a black/dark blue example, ideally I want something that's had some of the big spends taken care of ie brakes/sbc etc.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I can't wait to start the search!

Cheers :) :) :)

Hi Abdul,
I was in a similar position to you, wondering whether or not to go for a thirsty V8 but after that first test drive, I was convinced, even though the one I finally bought yesterday seemed a lot quicker.
Go for it, you won't be disappointed:thumb:

I got a quote from Warranty Direct for my 2004 E55 and they came back with £935. Tempted to take it considering SBC and ABC potential problems, but I do need to see it in writing that those items would be covered first.

Bad news, I can insure the car but not with the Mrs on the policy and quite frankly I'm not allowed to buy it unless she can drive it too!

:(

I'll have to wait until next year. More time to save for a better example I guess and mod the CLK lol.

Thanks for all the assistance guys.

Have you spoken to LV ? They undercut my existing insurer and all the others by a substantial amount despite my 9 points !! Though if your wife is young (under 25) it might be a problem with the E55.

Have you spoken to LV ? They undercut my existing insurer and all the others by a substantial amount despite my 9 points !! Though if your wife is young (under 25) it might be a problem with the E55.

Hi,

I've not no but none of the mainstream insurers will touch me due to age and postcode. I live in a nice area but fancy cars keep getting pinched!

She's actually 25 already, I'm only 24 but I have 6 years NCB and a clean license. On my own it works out to be quite reasonable but with her on the policy I can't even get a quote for under 2k which is just silly! :dk:

With regards to running costs I recently bought MB front discs and pads as well as pagid rear discs and pads for my E55 AMG ready for when needed for a total of £320.

They are amazing cars but make sure you sort insurance issue out before driving one as it may end in divorce.....

Interesting thread, I have the same dilemma!

Currently considering E39 M5 (too similar to current car?) or C55 or E500/E55.

C55 appeals most to the head, just not sure if too small after E39. E55 appeals most to the heart but risk of bills puts me off. E500 feels like a real world compromise.

Decisions, decisions.....

Interesting thread, I have the same dilemma!

Currently considering E39 M5 (too similar to current car?) or C55 or E500/E55.

C55 appeals most to the head, just not sure if too small after E39. E55 appeals most to the heart but risk of bills puts me off. E500 feels like a real world compromise.

Decisions, decisions.....

To be honest I wouldn't bother with e500. They pose the same risks as the e55 as far as the airmatic and sbc go. If you can afford the general upkeep go for the E55.

I'm tempted to get a C55 to roll around in for a year, insurance isn't bad.

Thanks for the info Jimmy, that's not bad at all for a 500hp super saloon!

To be honest I wouldn't bother with e500. They pose the same risks as the e55 as far as the airmatic and sbc go.

...and in reality, you are very nearly paying to run an E55 but with a lot less oomph (if that is what you are interested in). The MPG is not far off and as you say - the SBC and airmatic (not sure if airmatic is standard on E500s) are still in attendance unless you go for a facelift 2006 E500 - in which case no SBC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom